Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

Lost soul weirdness

Three months ago I started work on a dedicated DOS game machine, with early-mid 90s technology (SB16, 200 MHz Pentium MMX+, etc etc) and a copy of the original Doom. When I was playing through Episode 2, I noticed something weird about lost souls.

I can't remember accurately what happened, but I think I was firing a plasma gun at a pack of the bastards, and one decided to charge at me. But, he met a plasma bullet on the way. Instead of being hit, the fucker pulled a Neo and dodged the bullet! I'm pretty sure I saw the thing sidestep for a couple feet and then took another charge at me. Needless to say, I got slammed back a bit.

I've always been under the assumption that Lost souls were "dumb". Yet they seem to be the weirdest enemy on each version of doom I've played.

But this creeps me out. I'll probably never see it again, so I can't really verify any of this.

Csonicgo said:

I can't remember accurately what happened, but I think I was firing a plasma gun at a pack of the bastards, and one decided to charge at me. But, he met a plasma bullet on the way. Instead of being hit, the fucker pulled a Neo and dodged the bullet! I'm pretty sure I saw the thing sidestep for a couple feet and then took another charge at me. Needless to say, I got slammed back a bit.

What version of the exe were you using? There was code for lost souls dodging projectiles that has been pulled out. According to the wiki, it happens in v1.666.

So it does happen? I'm pretty sure this was v1.1 or v1.2. It's been patched from the originals, and I don't have that old copy anymore.

StupidBunny said:

That...is really cool. I had no idea such code ever existed.

I didn't know anything about this either...

Did that lost soul also say "aaaaaaaahhh" when sidestepping?

Gez said:

What version of the exe were you using? There was code for lost souls dodging projectiles that has been pulled out. According to the wiki, it happens in v1.666.

Wow. Can it be emulated in ZDoom?

printz said:

Did that lost soul also say "aaaaaaaahhh" when sidestepping?

I honestly can't remember. It happened so fast. I did try to get the Lost souls to do that behavior again, but I couldn't get it to work.

D_GARG said:

Lets get that code :D !

anyone know how to get it anyway?

I do.

You need a time machine and the key to the id software office ca. 1994. Go back to August 1994, sneak in, turn on Carmack's computer, zip up the source code and copy it on some floppy discs, then go back to your TARDIS and share it with us.

See? Easy.

Alternatively, you can learn disassembly and use HexRays to reverse-engineer the exe.

Well obviously it's a strand of DNA made up of hundreds upon thousands of screaming Suicide Bombers.

What, didn't you get the memo? 40oz has explosive DNA.

The actual source of the picture is, as people who noticed the message in the corner may have guessed, KeksDose.

Gez posted that image in the "Post your Doom Picture" thread a while ago.

It was referring to the "aaaah" noise printz described which reminded me of the unforgettable screaming of the Suicide Bomber Zombie from Realm667.com. There was another picture in that thread that showed more suicide zombies not in that crazy helix pattern but I couldn't find it so I posted this one instead.

Joke explained. Comedic value deducted.

st.alfonzo said:

40oz has explosive DNA.

In addition to explosive diarrhea. 0/10

PRIMEVAL said:

Imagine if Pain Elementals dodged.

imagnine it both pain elementals and lost souls dodged, NOT ONLY PROJECTILES BUT HITSCANNERS, ZOMG THE ZERGLINGS!!!!!

40oz said:

It was referring to the "aaaah" noise printz described which reminded me of the unforgettable screaming of the Suicide Bomber Zombie from Realm667.com

Holy shit, I just downloaded that for the first time and I'm dying laughing.