Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
J-selva

More monster behavior

Anybody ever get this in Vanilla Doom:

After a monster kills another monster from infighting (and you're standing near it), it is still active, walking around. But it doesn't attack you at all until you attack it.

I've seen instances where the monster will go back to dormant after killing the other one that attacked it, as long as it doesn't see you. That one is definitely not unseen, but the first scenario is not something I've read about, actually.

The former circumstance should not happen in vanilla DOOM unless something strange is going on - for example the monster cannot see you because of a REJECT glitch.

Now in BOOM it could happen easily, since BOOM only tracks up to one prior target, and if that prior target is another monster, a monster having killed its current target would then become angry at the prior monster that damaged it again, which may have buggered off to another room by that point.

Quasar said:

The latter circumstance should not happen in vanilla DOOM unless something strange is going on - for example the monster cannot see you because of a REJECT glitch.

It (monster ignoring the player after killing the poor bastard) still happens in vanilla Doom if the player has never made a shot. See E3M8 and what happens if there's no line of sight when the spiderdemon kills a monster -- as long as the player didn't fire anything.

Falling back asleep is normal behavior. A monster wandering around but not attacking the player is not. That's what I meant by saying "the latter circumstance," but I meant to say "the former circumstance" instead. I have corrected the original post.