Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

DoomHero's Demonic Inventions (need testers)

Here's a shot of a new level I'm working on. Might turn into an ep 3 replacement. Bare bones as of now, just started this today.

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageSh

Hope you like!

Not looking bad, but misalignment RULZ! :D

Looks like a nice start from the looks of that screenshot so good luck with your ep3 project.

In that second shot, the red used to line the lava pool clashes with the brown/gray soil. I'd choose textures that match the floor they're edging. Also, try aligning your textures...Doom Builder's 3D mode comes with a nice function for doing this. ;) Other than that, looks good. Will edit/repost after I've played...

StupidBunny said:

In that second shot, the red used to line the lava pool clashes with the brown/gray soil. I'd choose textures that match the floor they're edging.

Typical DooM aesthetics mistakes. Mostly E3 suffers from 'em, making the visuals horrible. E.g. on E3M1, the dirty flat (FLAT10) edged by PIPE01 texture. Another example is E3M7 and the same thing with either the GSTONE and FLOOR1_6, or the SP_HOT1 and FLAT10 ugliness. Try to avoid these "classic aesthetics".

Also, try aligning your textures...Doom Builder's 3D mode comes with a nice function for doing this. ;)

As I've mentioned before. I have to come up with E3M7 again, or, E4M5. GSTONE1 is quite a texture which shows misalignments harshly. It ruins almost everything if that texture isn't aligned well. But same goes with the ROCKRED* textures, where it seems to be obvious whether the texture is well-aligned or not. Even though Dooms is the base of everything, levels designed by Petersen shouldn't be an example especially in texturing and alignments.

If you've played the map, you'll notice in the little outside area with the caco and two imps is horribly aligned. GSTONE1 is the color I want, but the texture is a pain in the ass to align. I guess I could try to make the windows the same size as the bricks.

EDIT: Any tips on aligning pain the ass textures like GSTONE1 or should I just avoid using them?

Also: What do you guys think of the map? Hard enough? I might make this a short 3 or 4 map episode and not a full replacement. Don't really even know what I want to do for map e3m2 yet.

From what I remember you hold your cursor over a texture and press "A" to get it to align horizontally, or you press "Control" + "A" to get it to align vertically.

DoomHero85 said:

I guess I could try to make the windows the same size as the bricks.

Haven't you heard about unpegging it?

DoomHero85 said:

I'm not quite sure what unpegging does. What does it do?

Unpegging textures allows you to make windows. I mean, if you create a window which is actually NOT the same height as the lower and upper texture itself, the lower texture aligns to the window's floor and the upper texture aligns to the window's ceiling. But it looks rather horrible, so unpegging the upper and lower texture makes the texture align to the ceiling of the major sector which the surrounding textures align to. Understood?

Ah yes, I remember when I first learned about autoalign and much later about unpegging. If you play my first map it'll be quite obvious that I had no idea how unpegging worked, and I always wondered why the texturing on that map looked so wonky compared to everybody else's.

But yes, gameplay...for the most part it's a good map. It's challenging, and keeps the player moving which is good. One thing I have to say is that trying to push through those narrow corridors full of demons and shotgun sergeants is frustrating, especially since I invariably have lost souls and cacodemons tailing me; there's no room to maneuver really, at least until you can plow to the slightly larger room that opens up. I've tried getting rid of some of the lost souls and cacodemons but there's not a whole lot of ammo to do that with (or space, for that matter.) Other than this sort of thing, though, I enjoyed the map. Good layout.

Another thing I should point out is that it's way too easy to accidentally run and land in that box with the imps and baron in it, which is impossible to get out of not to mention lethal. I'm not sure whether this was intended.

Good map overall :)

Definitely better...one thing to bear in mind when removing sergeants is that, by association, you are also removing shotgun ammo, and as a result ammo is perhaps a little tighter than it should be.

The alignment and unpegging has certainly worked wonders for the aesthetics of the map, but some of the texture selections could still use some work. The rim of that lava pool was just an example. Here's another...at the beginning, the raised areas look unnatural with red siding and gray tops. You might try either this:

or this:

Just as examples...there are obviously a number of other flats and textures you could use, and of course since you're the mapper it's your call. (Especially since I think the second shot there doesn't look that good. :P ) Nearly all of the weird texturing involves gray/brown surfaces with red siding. With a little clever editing this can always be fixed without compromising the textural variety too much, and it's something you get an eye for as you map more.

okay, thanks for the suggestions. When it comes time to release the full episode, however many levels I decide to have, I may re-texture more just to make it look better. E3M2 is in the works now too.

WOW! It's impressive! But I'd rather imagine something like this in E3M5-E3M6 because it begins being way too huge and too hellish related to a "normal" E3M2. But I don't want to affect you in your mapping, you decide how and where. Keep up with the great work!

I tried the map. I just looked at the beginning though, and I got a few things to say.

First off I really like the look of the first few rooms of it. Good job with that.

Second I really don't like how as soon as you start you are thrown into the action and get shot up before you can even tell whats going on.

Last thing is in the hallway right behind the shotgun the candelabras really get in the way when trying to strafe out of the way of the cacos and the demons.

Okay, I removed many of the candelabras and monsters from the first area. Also, skill levels are now implemented. I want at least 3 more testers to play the WHOLE level, before commenting next. Thanks guys!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3lfhinpd1j6f0ul/Temple%20of%20Terror.wad

E: in the final room, the pentagram faces are switches btw. I'll put this in the .txt when I release the full episode.

So...why isn't anyone trying this? I would like some feedback on how I did mapping this as I'm relatively new to mapping. I tried to make it look old-school, but play like 2010 maps. Anyway, just wanted a few people to test it before I started map e3m3.

E: here are two more shots to wet your pallet for playing this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us