Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PaintedBlack

Story text after each level?

Ok so, you know when you finish an episode and the story text comes up, is it possible to modify doom to show a text page between each level?
i would like to make a story based mod, and although it would slow down the over all play through of my mod i think having more story would benefit the over all feel of my TC.

Also many thanks to everyone with tips to me in my previous posts, I have now figured out custom weapons and monsters thanks for your help!

You can use MAPINFO to define text after each level. You can do so using cluster definitions - you define a new cluster for each map and use the appropriate exittext. When you define a new map, you should set its cluster map property to the correct number (the one you used in the cluster definition).

Example:

cluster 1
{
   flat = "FLOOR4_8"
   music = "$MUSIC_VICTOR"
   exittext = "You beat the first map!!!1one"
}

map MAP01 "How It All Began"
{
   levelnum = 1
   : // TODO: define all that is missing
   cluster = 1
}

Hope this helps.

K many thanks guys, i will attempt this one! lol if nothing else, i'm figuring maybe i'll have to add my own triggered sound events to tell the story if this isn't what i'm looking for, or possibly both!
thanks again for the help!

Ok so i got mapinfo to work but i can't get it to go to the next line..
i've tried \n like in dehacked and every other way i can think of..
seems like tutorials on this are rare, so any idea on how to continue the text on the next line?

As an alternative, you could try integrating the story text into the intermission screen, sort of like what was done with Perdition's Gate. The advantage would be that it would cut down on the time between levels, although on the flip side you'll need to write in individual graphics to overlap each intermission.

Not to mention that this won't really work well because you have to sacrifice the level name on these pages.

It works well enough for vanilla and you can always put the level name in the image. Though this method does not work too well with source ports i.e. doomsday displays the level name at the start.

What issue is there with the map name title display in Doomsday? Seems to work as expected for me in the latest 1.9.0-beta

I've uploaded an example wad here which shows the problem (run with doom 2). It's just simply because doomsday displays the level name at the start of a level which is itself quite a nice feature but messes this trick up.

I see. I don't think there is much we can do about that. After all, it is subverting the intended use to put something that isn't the map name in that graphic.

Perdition's Gate is an IWAD that uses this feature (Hell 2 Pay uses it as well). I thought you may have been more interested in this seen as lately you have been working on improving doomsdays support for other IWADs. This could be one the configuration options.

I am interested in seeing what can be done to address the issue, hence my asking. We can certainly do something in the new game config stuff I've been preparing but it will only be of use by IWADs.

Although I was under the impression that both Perdition's Gate and Hell 2 Pay were PWADs.

DaniJ said:

Although I was under the impression that both Perdition's Gate and Hell 2 Pay were PWADs.

They are; though Hell to Pay features new sprites.

They are, although they can be considered exceptional in being independent (and legit) commercial releases.

Heh, those new sprites are pretty horrible.

The armored imp is rather decent IMO, the rest is ridiculous in its design and very poorly adapted to the palette.

Oops my bad. I guess I should've said they can be used as IWADs rather than saying they are IWADs.

They can? Thats news to me as they don't appear to have all the data necessary to even qualify.

I guess they can after merging, since otherwise the sprite replacements won't work.

Merging with what? It sounds like you are referring to ChocolateDoom's -merge feature but that doesn't circumvent the need for the missing data (supplied by the IWAD it is being merged with).

There's an installer with Perdition's Gate that merges the supplied wad with your doom2 iwad to create a new iwad.

Oh I see what you meant now. No, that doesn't count as a 'new' IWAD so far as game detection is concerned as it will just register as whatever you merged it with.

After choosing max installation you end up with an IWAD called PERDGATE.WAD which is the modified DOOM2.WAD. When you run the batch file to play it, it swaps that wad with DOOM2.WAD (renames the files) so that DOOM2.EXE will load it. After quitting doom it swaps them back. I was assuming your game detection would detect the IWAD PERDGATE.WAD?

You could, but the content is logically identical to that of Doom2.wad.

Plus, anyone who uses source ports would use pg-raw.wad (and htp-raw.wad) as pwads instead. Less fuss.

Hmm, what about HACX and freedoom? Surely their content is also logically identical to Doom2.wad?
I suppose you are right about people using the PWADs though.

Other old (but free) PWADs also expect the user to merge the contents into a copy of the IWAD because early on people thought it was the only way to do it. But it's not necessary, as using the append function in DeuSF will usually suffice. I built the Wraith WADs as (Doom compatible) PWADs instead of using the installer. As a regular vanilla user, I don't usually trust old installers because they make unnecessary changes or additions, like in the Wraith WADs case, so I just look at the WAD's directory and do what's necessary. For those with flats but no sprites, renaming the ending flats marker is often all one needs to do.