Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel17

Plutonia!

So I've finally gotten around to playing The Plutonia Experiment in earnest, and I've got to say...WOW! This mapset is really challenging and the maps are really creative. Especially that Archville maze (I'm at level 12 now).

Anyway, yeah...makes me wonder why I built this gaming PC if the best game on the planet will run on an i486...

I'm not sure if I prefer Evilution, though. Will have to see once I've finished this, but I've never been so challenged by DOOM, and it's pretty exciting!

I would say so, yeah, especially since I'm only at level 12 and it's harder than, say, DOOM 2's or Evilution's Maps 20+!

Intel17 said:

I would say so, yeah, especially since I'm only at level 12 and it's harder than, say, DOOM 2's or Evilution's Maps 20+!

...have you,ever,played a patch wad?

Plutonia's definitely the hardest out of the original Doom quadrilogy. Evilution is a bit challenging as well, though I think that's mainly due to its maps' confusing layouts.

killer2 said:

...have you,ever,played a patch wad?

I'd imagine there are lot's of people who have only played the original Iwads.

Not everbody is as hardcore about Doom as us.

Lots? More like most people ; just like in any game really, which is what it always makes me smirk when I hear people say "without modding this game would be nothing" (any bethesda game anyone?), as the majority of the playerbase just get the vanilla experience and these games seem to sell millions of copies just fine.

There's probably a hundred players who played No Rest For The Living for every single player who played Scythe 2 too, simply because the former is official.

I finally got around to playing NRFTL, it was fun, but nothing compared to 90% of the megawads we get here in terms of difficulty.

Try this if you dare!:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=7947

Yes, i just pointed him to Hell Revealed :)

E: if you want to be seriously challenged warp to map 24 :)

Good Luck with the rest of plutonia, and if you want to have even a chance at beating HR, go to the secret levels because it will give you a taste of what HR is like the whole way through.

DoomHero85 said:

I finally got around to playing NRFTL, it was fun, but nothing compared to 90% of the megawads we get here in terms of difficulty.

Try this if you dare!:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=7947

Yes, i just pointed him to Hell Revealed :)

E: if you want to be seriously challenged warp to map 24 :)

Good Luck with the rest of plutonia, and if you want to have even a chance at beating HR, go to the secret levels because it will give you a taste of what HR is like the whole way through.

HR is nothing compared to Deus Vult 1 & 2 (both of which i have beaten on UV,DV 2 with pistol starting as specified.

I don't think he's asking for advice, and he's not new here. He also played HR already, and seems interested mostly in vanilla stuff.

but he said earlier that plutonia is the hardest wad he's played. If he's played HR already, that's a lie or he just forgot. There's no way Plutonia is harder than HR.

Maybe he's not asking for advice, but I just wanted to point out the fact that much harder wads exist. He can take them or leave them.

E: Correct if I'm wrong, but I think HR is vanilla compatible.

DoomHero85 said:

but he said earlier that plutonia is the hardest wad he's played. If he's played HR already, that's a lie or he just forgot. There's no way Plutonia is harder than HR.

HR isn't THAT bad. It only starts getting really difficult after the midpoint. Compare that to Plutonia, which has sniper chaingunners nearly every fucking level.

Most people will probably find Plutonia easier than HR but it depends on your skill set and playing style, and what difficulty level you're playing on.

While Plutonia no doubt helped inspire HR, they represent somewhat different genres of Doom mapping. For the most part, Plutonia creates problems for the player by using smaller numbers of monsters and forcing the player to run the gauntlet and make good use of resources. HR (in its harder maps) obliges the player to use dynamic tactics and create his own region of safety. BTW, I don't think the secret levels (of either wad) are particularly representative of the typical challenges and difficulty level throughout the wad. In particular, HR map31's secret exit will just irritate people who don't typically use Strafe-50.

DoomHero85 said:

E: Correct if I'm wrong, but I think HR is vanilla compatible.

Yes, HR works fine with vanilla, with the minor exception that you won't be able to save in some maps until you have thinned out the monsters a fair bit.

I meant "Go 2 it" would get him ready for some of the HR-styled stuff. And I guess what I meant by HR being harder than plutonia is all the stuff after the aforementioned midpoint. There is a difficulty progression in both sets, but HR's is, in my opinion, steeper than plutonia.

Hmm.. HR or Plutonia in terms of difficulty. Plutonia was quite the challenge, Hell Reavled wasn't exactly easy either. I'd have to play HR again to really know.

HR2 was just plain stupid hard. I made it to maybe map 25 before I called it quits. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't fun though.

Torn said:

Why does everyone forget Alien Vendetta?

To me AV was pretty tough because it has some slaughter-like moments but they don't take place in vast sprawling nightmarescapes like in Sunder or whatever, but in the tight corridors of techbase levels. Nothing like having a blazing door open and suddenly 6 Revenants, 4 Barons, 3 Hell Knights, 15 Demons, and a gaggle of imps are all over you and you practically get moshed.

Yeah, I've always found Map12 and Map23 to be more difficult than Map31, personally. The big rev fight at the end is tricky, but as a whole, it was pretty straightforward.

I remember when I first played Plutonia last year I was blown away since I actually had Final Doom for a long time but had never played it. Then I knew I had to convince myself into playing megawads at some point, even though I didn't want to because I was afraid it would be too addicting downloading levels from the internet and such. I also remember ravaging through my father's garage just to find it (mostly to play Doom II cause I have the collector's edition) good times...

Sigvatr said:

I can't beat Plutonia on nightmare mode :/

You must be referring to certain maps, because to my knowledge, no player (not Vile, not anyone) has made a non-TAS NM movie of Plutonia. I know Vince has a UV Max movie (non-TAS) played from Map 1 through Map 32. Istvan Pataki has a NM movie, but it's TAS. Andy recently uploaded all of those demos onto DSDA, and I highly recommend watching the Max movie.

Almost done with Plutonia...just finished MAP 27. Maybe I can finish this in the next 2.5 hrs before Black Ops comes out.

About a year ago I started playing through Plutonia on UV...I got mired on MAP23 and after trying to play the map like 50 times in a day I got tired of it and gave up. Now, for some reason I still haven't gone back to do it, but since I think my skills have improved in the last year I could probably manage. (I could also maybe save mid-level, which I've been avoiding so far...)

I find if you know a little of CQB, to use the elements of that. I've noticed alot of my doomer friends like to rush in and take everything out with a single magazine like the Commando movie and get wasted. Why not stick to the walls, check your corners and movement, know the surroundings along with cover.