Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Epyo

Have ever you cried?!

Have you cried at any entertainment things?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Have you cried at any entertainment things?

• any movies?
    • any video games?
    • any books?
    • any textbooks?

Soo yeah. Have you ever cried at a piece of entertainment? Note that this does not include crying tears of laughter!

Come onnnn, admit it to us! A younger me had thought it silly to cry at some dumb story...but soon enough it happened. 3 times actually!

To date, I have cried at one movie, one video game (embarrassingly enough), and even one book (!). And I don't even like books. The movie was the notebook. The first time I saw it I wasn't quite touched, but a year later I saw it again and my girlfriend started crying and I couldn't help it, and then we cracked up laughing because why's stuff so sad? You know? The video game was Klonoa for PSX. I was probably around 11, and the ending is pretty alarming and tragic, but then sort of gets that optimistic glow too. That's where it gets me. Notebook, same thing, it's sad, but it's got an optimistic glow, and that's when my brain is like, yeah, it's okay!

The book, surprisingly, was the last Harry Potter book. I won't spoil. Especially because I expect the upcoming 7th movie (deathly hallows part 1) is probably going to end at the exact scene that makes me cry. But really they'll cut it altogether, or do it no justice at all. Not sure which I prefer.

Anybody else? No? Guess I'll go find a new pillow to cry into then.

I cried during the silent part of Up.

Also at the end of FFX.

Also I'm sure at a few more movies. And I'm sure there's a couple games with unexpected twists involving important characters I liked.

Only times I cried, and it was twice long time ago.
Both reasons were because of the mainstory/Endings of::
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Didn't expect the king would stay.
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - I got so smacked into the story, it got me pretty damn well.

But yeah, pretty sad I cried on Zelda games (Since usually I'm now great at speedrunning it with getting items cin process)

i started crying halfway through ikiru and i stopped about three days later.

Episode eight of Gurren Lagann. That one's probably hit me hardest.

Also started to tear up during a few scenes of Elfen Lied, especially the episode with the puppy.

Movie was "Big Fish" in the end.
Games was "Mafia: City of lost Heaven" in the end. (yes I know :P) and Bioshock 1.

Closest I can remember is the ending of Bioshock 2. I mean, you get all the way through looking for your "little sister" and just when you think

Spoiler

you might be able to live with her on the surface or something like that, you just end up dying in the final cutscene.

dew said:

That can do that to a person. Stupid swingset in the snow... :(

Not that i can recall. I'm so critical of everything hollywood puts out these days that I can never feel emotionally attached to anything.

dew said:

This is a movie I really need to watch. I've heard it's a very moving story, and it has one of my favorite actors.

I'm also thinking that this will happen to me when I watch Grave of The Fireflies. It's at home right now sitting on my desk.

Partition36 said:

I'm also thinking that this will happen to me when I watch Grave of The Fireflies. It's at home right now sitting on my desk.

without a doubt a tear jerker. it's pretty cruel to basic human feelings, although not complete emotional torture like von trier's dancer in the dark. i don't like being pushed too hard into sadness and guilt and whatever. subtletly is far more powerful.

on that note: the last scene of depardieu's cyrano de bergerac. or beethoven's 7th symphony, 2nd movement, or zimmer's journey to the line from the thin red line. i like to think i'm a better person because this stuff touches me, heh.

When I was about 10, I once cried over a Walker Texes Ranger episode because some kid's mother died :'(

Also Klonoa's ending is so sad that I was in tears.

Craigs said:

I never cry because I'm not a raging faggot like you guys.

I tear up at thought of such hatred

40oz said:

Not that i can recall. I'm so critical of everything hollywood puts out these days that I can never feel emotionally attached to anything.

Not to scrutinise any inability you may or may not have to look past a film's flaws or anything, but this is a real shame. Do you ever wish that you were able to cry in films if you felt you could if these flaws were overlooked? Most of the time (though not necessarily always the case), a film's ability to make you cry indicates its success in one respect, and if you can't really relate to what's on screen in the same way that a sobbing, hanky totting member of the audience can, you may have stepped off the emersion elevator far too early, and missed out on one huge chunk of the viewing experience.

'Course, this isn't to say that you must be reduced to tears in order to enjoy the film ("I said cry God dammit. CRY!"). Indeed, sometimes that shit isn't even warrented. Cheap, soppy techniques don't really work any more in this day and age, and it requires good character development, sense of accomplishment or weight of loss, and often a orchestral soundtrack in order to deliver the goods. If you can fill a cinema with tens of battle hardened marine corporals, for example, and then manage to reduce every last one of them to tears... well, that either takes a whole lot of cheese or a damn fine film.

I've cried countless times, personally. Hundreds, even. Here are a list of ways in which, as I've discovered, movies are able to effectively break the emotional barrier:

• Ever seen Godfather III? Of course you have. And like many others you may not have found it comparible to the two predecessors in the trilogy. But one scene hit home with me, and it was the scene in which Michael collapses on the stair upon the death of his daughter Mary. The technique used here has caught on in several films since (and probably prior to its use here), and involves a complete absence of sound save for the music. The sound is brought suddenly back in with an agonizing scream from Michael, and the result is enough to tip many viewers over the edge, myself included.
  • Violins. Self explanitory.
  • Biographical epics. Raging Bull charts the rise and fall of Jake LaMotta's career and personal life, and with such films as this it's easy to becoming engrossed in and share the experiences of these centre stage characters. The scene in which De Niro is alone in his cell, gradually pummelling his fists into the wall in frustration is heart wrenching moment, and the audience feels every moment of it. Braveheart is another example, though if you can hold off long enough during the torture scene toward the end then the emotion is translated into something less grim.
  • Moments of vulnerability. The audience can do nothing to prevent the demise of the characters on screen, and when that demise consists of a resentful individual having his ass handed to him, it can jerk a few chords.
My friend cried when Optimus seemingly got killed in Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen, which was both pretty impressive and pretty lols. But then again, I almost shed a tear when Hector got slashed up in Troy, so I'm one to talk. Though that could just be because I love Eric Bana. Not in a gay way though, obviously.

Games - MGS3 and MGS4 both got me. I'm sure are others but I can't think of any in particular.

Movies - Return of the Jedi can and still does get me in two spots.

Spoiler

1)Yoda dying (this usually doesn't get me if I have the movie on for background noise but if I sit down and watch it especially after just finishing Empire, it will) and 2) When Vader is taunting Luke that if he doesn't turn, he'll turn Leia instead and Luke lashes out furiously.

John Williams has a way of always doing this to me!

Have never been able to get through Land Before Time without bawling, granted its been about 15 years since I last watched it.

Hook as well:
Spoiler

Just before Peter realizes he is who he is, the one little lost boy stays by him and starts peering into his eyes, feels his face etc. and then proclaims "Oh there you are Peter!".

Again it's not so much the scenes as it is John Williams' music that turns me into blithering baby.