Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
madk

SkullTag resource wad?

I did some DOOM mapping way back and made a pack of DM maps that everyone loved. I went to look at them again and half the textures are missing. I'm pretty sure they would have been from this pwad that came with the skulltag download and had a handful of new enemies and textures in it. The problem is, I downloaded it again and there's no wads there. Am I crazy? One of these exists, right?

I haven't taken a look at the state of Skulltag editing for a while now, so I can't comment on how it's resources are setup these days(I wouldn't imagine it's changed much though). There were some changes made to a few resources when 97b was released. I remember there were some missing textures I had to fix in my own DM project right around that time because of that, and some of my older Skulltag maps have missing textures as well. I can't remember if said textures were removed or just renamed; if it's the latter, you can just rename the textures in your map appropriately. You can download the older versions of Skulltag on the download page. If you can remember which version you made your maps for, download it and then you can probably find the information you need to fix your maps.

I'm getting errors when I try to use the resource file. Am I doing something wrong?

You are attempting to extract the DECORATE files, correct? The latest 7zip is your best bet to get the files out.

Mr. Chris said:

You are attempting to extract the DECORATE files, correct? The latest 7zip is your best bet to get the files out.

Huh? No, he's trying to get the textures. Same solution, but still..

I downloaded the newest version of Skulltag that used a WAD to correct this, namely 0.97d5, on a friend's computer.
I never had the issue myself as I had an old version of Skulltag pre-installed when I installed 98a (which gives skulltag-data.pk3), which didn't overwrite the skulltag.wad.

madk said:

I'm getting errors when I try to use the resource file. Am I doing something wrong?

In DB2, you mean? That's normal.

A PK3 file is a ZIP file. The ZIP standard establishes several different compression protocols. 90% of the ZIP implementations, including in libraries, only bother with STORE and DEFLATE protocols.

ZDoom is one of the very few applications that contain a full implementation of all ZIP protocols. DB2 isn't one of the lucky few. Slade 3 isn't either, though hopefully this will change later.

Your solution is to use something like 7-zip to extract all the content from Skulltag_data.pk3, then recompress it; it should make it a DEFLATE-only file.

Ultraboy94 said:

I downloaded the newest version of Skulltag that used a WAD to correct this, namely 0.97d5, on a friend's computer.
I never had the issue myself as I had an old version of Skulltag pre-installed when I installed 98a (which gives skulltag-data.pk3), which didn't overwrite the skulltag.wad.

I had this problem with a texture replacement WAD. 40oz made a "High Resolution Textures Without The High Resolution" WAD, that is basically HRP-made-software-compatible by scaling everything down to the original sizes and converting them to Doom's palette.

This WAD worked on 97D5 and earlier ZDoom before ASHWALL4 or something completely broke/became a HOM when 98A and up came out, along with newer ZDoom, rendering the WAD useless. I tried replacing the texture with another, scaled down version but the texture was still missing. The WAD itself somehow just broke on new versions of ZDoom and ST.