Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Doom Dads

Any Doomers here also daddies? I have a three month old son named Gannon Thor. He likes to watch me play Doom in his bouncer.

I'm assuming there are no Doom moms here because girls don't play Doom, being the manliest game ever made. I mean, you can't punch a flaming skull in FarmVille.

Well, yeah, I guess I qualify. My eldest son is 40, my second son is 36 and I have a 14 year old daughter from a second marriage! (I'm 62 by the way).

I've been playing Doom since getting my first PC in 1995. I had an Amiga before that and it used to drive me crazy that the Amiga just didn't have the chops to play Doom. As soon as I moved up to the PC I was in game heaven. I jumped straight into Doom, Quake (just released back then), Duke Nukem 3D, Heretic, Hexen. Haven't looked back since. I occasionally play the other old games but only Doom still has me as addicted as ever.

The best of luck with your son! Relish every moment with him; believe me, the years just fly by with children and before you know it they've grown up and you're wondering what the hell happened. I hope your kid grows up to be a great Doomer My little girl used to sit on my lap and play Doom, Quake 2 and Serious Sam with me from the time she was about 4. Unfortunately she won't go near an FPS now she's 14, it's all Wii pop star games and Miley Cyrus. Where did I go wrong with her? :)

My dad played Doom a lot back in the day (he even made a couple maps, but I'm afraid they're probably lost to history now) so I guess I could get him to join the forum and post in this thread...

aldiboronti said:

Well, yeah, I guess I qualify. My eldest son is 40, my second son is 36 and I have a 14 year old daughter from a second marriage! (I'm 62 by the way).

I've been playing Doom since getting my first PC in 1995. I had an Amiga before that and it used to drive me crazy that the Amiga just didn't have the chops to play Doom. As soon as I moved up to the PC I was in game heaven. I jumped straight into Doom, Quake (just released back then), Duke Nukem 3D, Heretic, Hexen. Haven't looked back since. I occasionally play the other old games but only Doom still has me as addicted as ever.

The best of luck with your son! Relish every moment with him; believe me, the years just fly by with children and before you know it they've grown up and you're wondering what the hell happened. I hope your kid grows up to be a great Doomer My little girl used to sit on my lap and play Doom, Quake 2 and Serious Sam with me from the time she was about 4. Unfortunately she won't go near an FPS now she's 14, it's all Wii pop star games and Miley Cyrus. Where did I go wrong with her? :)

You sir have earned my respect.

Yep. I've got a 19 year old son. He's not remotely interested in computers unless it's Bebo and Facebook and he's certainly not into console gaming. It's a complete anathema to me! :)

It's my dad I need to thank for getting me into Doom.
When my mum used to go out on a Thursday night with her friends, as soon as that door closed, Dad would be booting up the computer and loading Doom 2

My mum would have flipped her lid if she found out...she thought Sonic and Mario were violent. I won't have that problem with my kids whenever they come and if my loins are in working order (fingers crossed) as my OH is almost as big a Doom fan as I am.

My dad's awesome. He was the one that played Doom and got me into it. Now he occasionally plays Quake Live (badly) and is constructing a motorbike :D

I could try introducing my 4 year old nephew, I already tried getting him to play Super Mario Bros and Earthworm Jim and Crash Bandicoot, but he can't even control the characters yet :(

Yep. My boy is nearly 5. I did use to co-op OBLIGE maps with him on Legacy splitscreen but I've knocked it on the head cos it used to drive him nuts whenever he died and I think it gave him nightmares.

He will be re-introduced at some point though.

Captain Toenail said:

I could try introducing my 4 year old nephew, I already tried getting him to play Super Mario Bros and Earthworm Jim and Crash Bandicoot, but he can't even control the characters yet :(

In which case you need to deprive him of treats or introduce punishments until he does get the hang of it -.-

aldiboronti said:

I'm 62 by the way).

You win sir ! BTW I'm a 51yo dad with a 28yo son. Unfortunately he has never been interested in FPS games :(
His loss I guess.

My dad introduced me to Doom and Quake when I was 5, and I have been playing it ever since.
My grandfather also used to play Doom, but doesn't any more.

Oh, and also...

Sigvatr said:

I have a three month old son named Gannon Thor.

...what the hell kind of name is that??

What's so bad about it? Michael Jackson named a kid "Blanket"!

Two kids, both over 18. My little girl started playing Doom when she was 8.

No kids yet, but my 2 year old nephew can beat Entryway and Hangar in 30 seconds with 100% kills on Hangar. He's kind of a beast lol.

nice! That's once second later than Jonathan Rimmer for E1M1, however that record includes secrets and items.

Same story, my dad and I played doom since I was 3 (Released), from there I started playing Duke Nukem 3d on my own. But to have that family bond over Doom, was great. When my child comes, I'm gonna pass that down. In the coming years, games these days will be obsolete, but Doom will be there always in our gamer hearts. Lets keep the legacy alive.

Creaphis said:

I play Doom despite my Dad's best efforts.

Mine threatened to plunge an axe into the computer once. :p

Anyway, I'm old. But not a dad. I'm an uncle though.

I'm not a dad but I have a 5 year old nephew that I've played Doom together with a couple times, although my sister (the mother) was not all that happy about it...

Not a dad here, but it's thanks to my own dad (who's now in his early 60s) that I got into Doom: he bought his work laptop home and I installed the shareware copy on it. The LCD display was awful, so I hooked it up to an external monitor... and was promptly blown away! He found it gave him motion sickness, so I had it to myself.

I played Doom one heck of a lot, until a few weeks later my mum happened to pop her head around the door while I was ploughing through a load of zombie troopers - oops! She tutted but didn't say anything else.

It was odd, therefore, that she eventually became keen on Doom - when I was revising for my exams at school I'd break up the revision by playing Doom across our LAN, co-op mode with her. I'd grab all the WADs I could find and even now I've still got a load of the old greats from back then - Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay come to mind.

Tragically, my mum died at the age of 48 due to a stroke, during my final project at Uni. For the funeral I arranged for my wreath to be in the form of a cacodemon - well, it was a big red circle with a mouth, a green fabric eye and some fabric horns. Not exactly Hissy, but a fitting tribute to someone who was not exactly a run-of-the-mill Doomer!

I really missed Doom and it was in the bleak months following her death that I found ZDaemon and created my account. Ten years on I still haven't found a shooter as fun and as quick to get into as Doom - and I still try and play online at least once a month.

Also not a dad, but mine did play Doom at one point.. not very much.
We had gotten our first PC in I think either '95 or '96, and my brother got Doom for it. My dad played it a handful of times at most.

He was never very good at video games, especially shooters.

The only video game bonding I've ever had with my dad was Gauntlet: Dark Legacy.. a terrible game for the PS2 but I enjoyed playing with him.

As for my brother, who is a father of two, he stopped playing Doom years ago. He gives me shit every time he sees me playing it, saying it's old and boring. Bah!

I may very well be a third generation doomer. I know my father was. And I saw a desktop executable for Doom 95 on an old computer owned by his father. While this doesnt confirm anything, its still amusing.

Also:

Ralphis said:

Soon to be!

wut