Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RockSmasherr

HeroForever : As seen in... well... other places!

DOWNLOAD IS HERE: http://www.speedyshare.com/files/25100012/HeroForever.wad

If you wish, please post mirrors.

(Ugh, copy pasta from another forum. I hate myself, but I also love myself.)

Story:

30 years after the destruction of the Machine Warlord known as Cruiser Tetron, a sparkling glint of machinery was visible in the distance.
A machine unlike anything before has now somehow rebuilt Tetron, as he's returned many times before (though only by the aid of his mechanical minions.)

The moment Flip Hero's automated computer caught on, a strange and human-shaped machine awoke and stood forth from his recharging chamber and was given the order. "Primary Objective : Destroy Tetron, and turn his machines into dust. Secondary Objective : Keep him from returning." Flip Hero had given his mechanical life to destroy Tetron within his previous asteroid core base. Now, all that's left is Flip Hero's replacer(s) to defeat him once more. Can you defeat Cruiser Tetron, and prevent his return for all time?

HeroForever is a wad that attempts to emulate some of the 2-color gameplay appearances and aesthetics (especially from HeroCore),
while still keeping our friendly "shooter" feeling of Doom barreling straight toward us.

The detail is pretty straight-forward, 128 pixel high rooms that house a minimum space of 64x64 pixel floor blocks.
A few texture changes here and there just to make sure you don't burn your eyes out too fast.

Available screenshots here.

Yes, you all have the right to say I've officially lost my mind. 2-Color wads? What has become of this world![Catching breath.]

Pretty cool, I tried a fda with gzdoom 1.5.0 but started on UV, probably not the best choice for learning a new system heh. If you can stand me messing around for a few minutes learning what does and doesn't work (you are supposed to die in one hit right? What's the point of leaving medkits on UV if so?), I get on with it and get to the third level. Reminds me of descent a lot, though the music and sounds give it an 8-bit platformer feel. I'll mess around with it a bit more, but how long is it, and which port is it meant for really? I tried it in prboom, but it came up with a problem with some sttnum texture, so I'd assume skulltag.

ArmouredBlood said:

...I'll mess around with it a bit more, but how long is it, and which port is it meant for really? I tried it in prboom, but it came up with a problem with some sttnum texture, so I'd assume skulltag.

No, it's Zdoom compatible ports only. Of course, things look the absolute best way they should in OPENGL + No aniscoptric (or however you spell it) filtering so that textures look smooth. Totally ruins the pixely feel.

Ports : Zdoom, GZDoom, ScoreDoom (If you REALLY want, I suppose I would work with that.) Skulltag (Port it was designed with, but not for mainly.)

Bucket said:

So can I download this on my TI-99?

Funny... a few guys already made that joke. :P

Okay, I tried it. Do you finished the project yet?

If yes, you should make better, bacuse levels was a bit boring.

If no, it will be a hopeful project :)

EDIT: I don't know the original game.

Katamori said:

Okay, I tried it. Do you finished the project yet?

If yes, you should make better, bacuse levels was a bit boring.

Levels will maintain their current shape, however no I'm not done. I'm trying to find time to work on more 2-color art, and since I'm NOT a good spriter and I had to basically draw every image in this wad myself, I must have been on talent-juice for the one week this took to make. (Yea. Done in one week.) :P

Katamori said:

EDIT: I don't know the original game.

Not only did I not link it (My fault, I so should have!) But it's from an entirely different community from Doom; the Game Maker and Indiegames communities.

For those who DO care : http://www.remar.se/daniel/herocore.php

Hot Edit : No, this mod is not based entirely from/seeking to copy all of HeroCore's aspects. It's inspired by HeroCore. :)

I think it is a good concept, but it still needs a bit of polishing. I have a couple of suggestions:

• A lot of times I was wondering if I am hitting an enemy. It would be great if you could add a pain frame that would invert the enemy's colors when it is hit.
  • Some enemies need better death animations. This goes especially for turrets - their "corpses" have the same sprites as when they were alive, but with added smoke puffs. It would be nice if you could make them visibly damaged, or at least make them gradually fade away until they disappear.
  • Level design could be a bit more interesting. It worked for the first level, but then it got a bit boring and repetitive. I know you are going for a simplistic look, but some non-orthogonal walls and more height variation would not hurt the experience, see 8 Bits Deathmatch for an example of what you could do.

It really reminds me of an old Speccy (Timex) game called Micronaut One. It was a monochrome first person perspective game where you drove about in a vehicle completing missions (like Tunnel B-1's grandad!). It's pretty much my favourite Spectrum game to date (being a Commodore guy!).

I agree with most of what's been said here. Pain frames and a little more variation/definition in the textures would be good and since you can fly more height variation is a must really.

That said, I do think there's loads of potenetial here for something really cool. Especially if this is what you can pull off in a week!

Also, go download a Speccy emulator and Micronaut One. It's a classic! :)

Xtroose said:

I think it is a good concept, but it still needs a bit of polishing. I have a couple of suggestions:

• A lot of times I was wondering if I am hitting an enemy. It would be great if you could add a pain frame that would invert the enemy's colors when it is hit.
  • Some enemies need better death animations. This goes especially for turrets - their "corpses" have the same sprites as when they were alive, but with added smoke puffs. It would be nice if you could make them visibly damaged, or at least make them gradually fade away until they disappear.
  • Level design could be a bit more interesting. It worked for the first level, but then it got a bit boring and repetitive. I know you are going for a simplistic look, but some non-orthogonal walls and more height variation would not hurt the experience, see 8 Bits Deathmatch for an example of what you could do.

(Hate to quote the whole post, but I will answer everything.)

The concept isn't already polished enough? Wait... I don't understand. Is the storyline too bland, or is it just too derivative? I don't quite grasp what's being said.

Pain frames are planned, as well as death frames. However, the problem with quickly inverting something is that the "Soldier" enemy is already an inversion of the Hero you play as. If he wasn't an inversion, that would've been my very first guess at it. Along with the "Eliminator" only found in the Core level (MAP10.)

The turret, I already plan to have explode entirely, as well as the Watcher/Seeker. Everything else already explodes entirely, except for the Shredder boss.

For level design, I'm not saying I'm dodging your criticism, but there's something I always shot for when making a mod; it was based for the exact mapping type it's been pointed at, and the way the ending of a map (especially when entering a boss room!) is sort of stuck unless I really went back and screwed around with the aesthetics of how you travel inbetween sectors (aka the box 64x64 rooms with 64 height.)

Not to be picky about what mods you send my way for a proper/improper example, but I really didn't look at Megaman 8-bit deathmatch -at all- for the mapping of this project. I went my own style (and who wants to see that? New stuff, so last generation[s] :P) I know, perhaps some curved walls might not destroy the atmosphere, but at the moment I don't see how it would help it to a great degree either. Perhaps looking at boxes really does get boring... Admittedly, I'm not perfect, nor is anyone else; so I'll most certainly look into orthogonal walls (although, I must say I've never heard that complaint so far.)

tl;dr I've got the message, I'll look into the stuff you mentioned, thank you for your constructive criticism; It's hard to get without being dicked out these days.

Quick Edit : To anyone who is recommending me other games to take examples from, I'm deeply sorry, but at the moment I'm really only trying to split some hairs from HeroCore. (If you don't think this wad is good, I am in no way disparaging the work of Daniel Remar, and you guys should most CERTAINLY give him a look up! HeroCore is in my top three games, and It's a damn shame to see it sit around unplayed by people who only like better graphics.

RockSmasherr said:

The concept isn't already polished enough? Wait... I don't understand. Is the storyline too bland, or is it just too derivative? I don't quite grasp what's being said.

No, there is nothing wrong with the concept, it is great. I wanted to write that I believe the wad needs some minor changes, which I described in my suggestions. Storyline is good the way it is, it works well for this mod. Someone else may have some storyline suggestions, but I would not mind it if the storyline said "Shoot everything that moves and don't get killed!". I reread what I wrote, and I see I expressed myself rather clumsily, sorry about that.

Not to be picky about what mods you send my way for a proper/improper example, but I really didn't look at Megaman 8-bit deathmatch -at all- for the mapping of this project.

I did not mean Megaman 8-bit DM, I meant the 2004 Best DM Level Cacoward winner:

Bear in mind that I do not want you to copy it, because I like seeing unique architecture and a different art direction. I just wanted to show you, how you could use the black-and-white color contrast to your advantage. There are also some neat effects achieved with scrolling textures (e.g. the stars in the sky) in that wad. Just be sure to not use any flashing textures - they can have some really bad side effects.

Xtroose said:

I did not mean Megaman 8-bit DM, I meant the 2004 Best DM Level Cacoward winner:

*IMAGE*

Bear in mind that I do not want you to copy it, because I like seeing unique architecture and a different art direction. I just wanted to show you, how you could use the black-and-white color contrast to your advantage. There are also some neat effects achieved with scrolling textures (e.g. the stars in the sky) in that wad. Just be sure to not use any flashing textures - they can have some really bad side effects.

1: Crap, I didn't know that's what you linked to... Apologies, man. It's the only thing I've heard that's classic related lately, and has generally been consuming Doom from where I'm at.

2:I appreciate your sense of individual architecture and the fact that you noticed the stars in MAP09. I'll look into everything in a bit, at the moment I'm busting my ass with more monsters and another planned weapon (since people think 3 isn't enough when I was already only planning one.)

3:Flashing textures are already used, but only on one monster (the last monster before the boss in MAP09, Old Base.) It's a trick I learned from my brother and HeroCore when I looked at images, if Black and White flash at a fast enough speed it gives a quick optical illusion that imitates the color of gray (sadly that's a mixed reaction to the speed, as it could reach anywhere in the saturation level.)

Just as an FYI; I wasn't suggesting you try micronaut One for reference. I just thought that if you like Herocore (as I do!) and you like first person monochrome aesthetics you may also like this long forgotten classic... :)

Anyway, good to hear you are planning on refining this fine idea of yours...

Ok, so I know I haven't posted in a little bit, but that's because I've been looking around at the wad and trying to see all the things I could do with/for it. To be honest, I really do not desire to change the current product as it is precisely how I intended it to be.

I'm deeply sorry, and please do not consider this a jab at people's criticism; I can handle criticism, it's just that this is exactly how I planned it. Curved/Non-Boxed lines aren't what I wanted, and that's precisely how it was done in HeroCore. Boxes, not curves. Given there was a small switch of that rule when you wander around the ship you travel in, it doesn't account for the rest of the map.

Once again, I apologize, but the product has been delivered how I desired it. If it really is a problem, I can hopefully fix whatever complaints there are for the sequel (Yes, there's a sequel planned, along with a run-off wad of the Lost episode I never released [it's a ton more difficult].)

I do still plan a few more enemies, though. This, and some additional attacks for the boss(es).

There is no need to apologize. As far as I see it, you have taken every suggestion seriously. You realized some of them would conflict with your vision and have also given valid reasons why. There is nothing wrong with that.

I am very interested to see what this project will evolve into.