Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gemini09

Blackglove.wad/ Redglov.wad

I tried to contact the author of these Wads, but his e-mail has apparently changed. Does anyone know this guy? I would like to ask him to recolor another set of gloves I have.

I contacted the author, but he was unfortunately unavailable to help.

He did explain that he used Paint Shop Pro, however.

I have Adobe Photoshop installed, and attempted to imitate the shades of red that the original author applied to the gloves, but the result is far from close enough in resemblance to the original red-gloves.

Is there anyone here, confident in their PSP abilities, willing to give it a shot?

It will be for my Xmas Doom 2012 project (coming Xmas 2011..!), and the gloves I want recolored are from Realm667s site: knife, angledpistol, and handgrenade.

Step forward, if you got those photoshop-skills..!

Here's the download for the red-gloves:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12476

You can use photoshop to do this quite easily.

The paint bucket tool can be set to recolor individual colors. You'll need a copy of the Doom palette (get it from XWE and take a screenshot or something) and then replace the colors (not the pixels) individually.

Really? Cool. I know Photoshop has features that can reach the sky when stacked on top of each other, but there are only a handful that I know of.

I don't have my PC at the moment and I'll be without it for a while, so if anyone wants to step up to the plate, you're most welcome.

Otherwise, I'll give it a shot on the first chance I get. Thanks.

There is an easier way to do it in photoshop.

Download any paletted Doom image (for example this:http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/8615/rsky1oz3.png)

then click image > mode > color table

Now you can change the colors to your heart's content.

Save that palette if you want to use it later, just remember to keep your image in indexed color and you will be fine.

I'm pretty sure I've seen an extensive set of "Doomguy Hands" in a single image that are usually used for those who make weapon edits for weapon wads and whatever. Something like that should make your job a lot less tedious.

Found it: http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5706/hands001zs2.png

Credits to WildWeasel. However I just realized that you probably don't want to recolor the doomguy's skin also.

40oz said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen an extensive set of "Doomguy Hands" in a single image that are usually used for those who make weapon edits for weapon wads and whatever. Something like that should make your job a lot less tedious.

Found it: http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5706/hands001zs2.png

Credits to WildWeasel. However I just realized that you probably don't want to recolor the doomguy's skin also.

Well, that's what the polygonal lasso is for

40oz said:

However I just realized that you probably don't want to recolor the doomguy's skin also.

Nonetheless! They may come in very handy. Spank you.

You can always convert things to the Doom palette once you have modified them, however this can lead to a lot of ugly looking images. I find that the best way to recolor things is to replace the color tones individually. Otherwise you are going to end up with a lot of dithering or colors you don't want making up what you're trying to achieve. It also can lead to a loss of detail.

Sigvatr said:

You can always convert things to the Doom palette once you have modified them, however this can lead to a lot of ugly looking images. I find that the best way to recolor things is to replace the color tones individually. Otherwise you are going to end up with a lot of dithering or colors you don't want making up what you're trying to achieve. It also can lead to a loss of detail.

Gradient maps + being careful = ???

You can still lose colors with a gradient map, unless you map every single palette color in the range in the gradient, which could be 32 tones or more. I did that once, it took forever.

Come to think of it you can still lose color information doing it that way.

Actually I think we are arguing about how to make NEW graphics in the Doom style.

If you want to recolor stuff you better just do it by individual colors; its really the only way and if you listen to essel you are a bad person.

I dont get it... Gradient maps work just fine as long as you dont pick a color gradient that has only 3-4 entries in the doom pallette.

Well, I'm about to go ahead with the recoloring. I just lasso-cut away the pistol and the hands, and I'm about to begin.

It's going to be really, really f'ing boring, though. Was there really nobody who wanted to help out? I'll put your name in the credits list in all capital letters..!

Sigvatr said:

If you want to recolor stuff you better just do it by individual colors; its really the only way and if you listen to essel you are a bad person.

Hmm, I'm gonna have to call BS on this one. Manual post-editing is often a must (and certainly makes things better either way), but it's still very possible to use a gradient map or other simple recolor method to produce something that converts well to Doom's palette, so long as you have a firm grasp on what colors to use and not use. I do it quite often, myself, and it saves a lot of time that would otherwise be spent picking colors by hand.

Not to say that it works in every situation, but saying it never does at all is silly. Using a "nearest color" matching scheme instead of dithering helps a ton, though, as dithering usually makes any given image look much worse. :P