Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C30N9

Goggles or Night Vision?

That's a ZDoom/GZDoom option. Look under I think Display settings, there's an option for "enhanced night vision". Turn it off, and you'll get the classic style light enhancement.

First time it quite annoyed me, ala. this green "colour distortion" couldn't let me see much better as the "every brightness goes 255!" thing I used to love in Vanilla.

I sort of like this better than the classic version. I thought it was a little more 'realistic,' aside from the blood still being red.

Edward850 said:

Only GZDoom. ZDoom can't do this.

I thought ZDoom did? Guess that shows how long it's been since I used it.

It would be nice if you could statically and dynamically (based on health and life) assign various heatmaps to textures and sprites (either on a per-object basis or thru data files), so an actual infrared vision would work in Doom.

The pre-beta had a similar night vision green colormap for the visor, but doesn't do the color inversion on monster sprites. If you've ever tried playing with that, it's pretty clear why they decided to go with setting the brightness to 256 instead. It really doesn't make it any easier to see anything, especially the monsters, and it makes it harder to see in bright areas. GZDoom pulls it off a lot better thanks to the inverted sprites, though.

Is it supposed to look like that, with just the sprite luminosity inverted and nothing else?

What it's supposed to do:
- Everything's green
- Monsters and pickups are inverted, other sprites aren't
- Stealth monsters are actually visible (can be turned off separately if you like the nightvision effect but think seeing stealth monsters is cheating)

So yes, it's doing what it's supposed to be doing.

I see. It looked a little odd to me and wanted to check whether what I was looking at in that screenshot was the intended effect.