Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Strife under Doom 3 Engine?

Hexen: Edge of Chaos give Hexen feeling for the newest Doom. But what' about Strife? Would you try Strife under Doom 3?
I'm sure yes.

But who is going to do it? You?

Plus I'm sure if any team started modding Strife on a new engine, they'd settle for something newer than Doom 3. Like maybe Rage.

Gez said:

But who is going to do it? You?

Plus I'm sure if any team started modding Strife on a new engine, they'd settle for something newer than Doom 3. Like maybe Rage.

Let's see. To make Rage into Strife just change the zombies into cyborgs and call them the Order :P

You'll also need to remove the cars, change the NPC skin to make them look medieval rather than punk, and add a few giant robots.

It's only an imaging... I never will be able to make a mod like this. But if you think, Hexen also created for Doom 3. By the way, maybe one day a team will make Strife for Doom 3 too...

Doom already exists as-is. Hexen does, too, and so does Strife.

Hexen for Doom 3 didn't exist, so it had to be created before mod content could be done. That's a ton of asset generation to go through before you can fire up the map editor.

Same with Strife, if you want to make a Strife mod for a game other than Strife, you'll have to recreate the content -- characters, enemies, textures, items, game logic, and so on and so forth -- from scratch.

You want to do that? See you in ten years.

A big advantage that Doom has is that it's simple and easy to mod. But even then, asset generation is a problem. You don't have many true TCs, and there are maybe two spriters who routinely create new sprite sets entirely from scratch.

I'm just typing what I remember regarding Strife
1. Strife ISN'T FREEWARE. The Copyright-ownership is a bit dodgy to say the least: Because of various incidents in the past nobody knows who owns the copyright anymore.

2. Most of the stuff in Strife is hard-coded. Good Luck with that.

3. Finally, the musican who made the music is dead but if you have the courage you can probably ask his living relatives if you can use the music anyway.

Well, I did find some similarities between Strife and Doom 3 to back it:

- like in most modern, realistic games actually (including Doom 3), Strife uses some standard real-world architecture objects, such as rails, neon lights.
- Z-Sec are quite close to Acolytes: both of them are helmeted bastards, and mumble. Doom 3 even has shielded zombies.

But it's hard to expect this. People rarely make mods for real Strife, let alone a Strife for DOOM 3 TC.