Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Radres

Survival Arena! Third Update!

Hello everyone!
in Survival Arena you face rounds of monsters and you will be rewarded with gold for killing them. You can spend these for health upgrades, ammunition or for a nuke.
Changelog:
Changes/fixes:
-The code structure and game structure is completely changed. It was necessary in order to make the game more "flexible" for new features. Unfortunately many of the features that existed on the previous release had to be removed. so, there are currently no curses or sacrifices in this release. The rooms exist but they are currently not functional.
-You don't start in an "Entry Room" now , and weapons, upgrades..etc are not in one spot. They are scattered throughout the arena and the rounds are starting with intervalls. So you don't have to go back to your entry room in order to start the next round. Now, they start in 15 seconds after you killed a wave.
-The Map is completely new.
-"Barriers" which were static in the prev. release are now changing their height randomly to make the arena more "dangerous" and unreliable.
-All jumppads were removed.
-The Health upgrader is now in a "Dungeon" (Availible after lvl 10). You have to beat the dungeon in order to reach the max. Health Upgrader. The monsters in this dungeon are independently spawned and have nothing with the "arena monsters" in common. They don't reward you with gold and they usually spawn when you enter the dungeon , randomly. So pack a hefty sum of Gold and arm yourself well when you decide to enter it.
-Game music changes with time, again randomly.
-Nukes are functional but don't have custom statics right now, i'm working on it though...
-There is a Caged Imp in the Arena. To figure out how to release it is on you. Once released, the Imp will be friendly and will cause some havoc.
-Boss monsters don't give any gold now.
-Some new additions which i won't spoil now.
-3D Skybox and custom effects are removed currently, they will be back shortly.
-Clips are regenerated instead of shells.

so have fun and don't forget to share your toughts!

Changes/fixes:
-Backpack is no longer a reward, it was replaced by Supersphere.
-The "Stucked Door" bug is now fixed, even if you find yourself locked outside the arena, you will be able to open the door from the inside.
-Archvilles are no longer considered as "a boss" but not a normal monster either, you can only encounter them in their special round "Something vile is coming"
-Many little Gold-Balancing fixes. low Tier ammunition is cheap, high tier ammo is expensive. Monster's Gold Values are completely revamped.
-Nuke Arming Area completely redesigned and will be available after the 5th Round.
-Massive scripting changes. Gold and Score information are now updated in real time and not after a round ends.
-The number of the spawn points are doubled
-The number of the spawn points in which barrels may spawn is doubled too
- 5 new jumppads.
-TitleScreen changed.
-New 3D Skybox although not much is going on for now.
-Changed the music of the map .

New Features:
- 2 new special round types are added:
1)"See and Seek" : In this round monsters are only visible if they are attacking or being attacked
2)"Need for Speed": Monsters are faster than they normally are.
-Health Upgrade:
You're max. Health is 45 at the start of the game. But no worry, you can increase your max. Health with gold. The cost of upgrading increases with your max. Health. For example: If you upgrade your Health (45 HP) to the next increment (47 HP) you will need to pay 45+47 = 92 Gold.
-Shotgun Shells are now regenerating! You get 2 Shells for every 5 seconds now.

-Curses:
New area which will be available after the 10th round.
Here you can activate 2 type of curses.
1)Posion: All Monsters on the Current Round are poisoned and will take minor damage until the round ends.
2)Fear: All Monsters will fear you and try to avoid you until you fire at them (lasts for 30 seconds)

-Sacrifices:
New area which will be available after the 7th Rounds. In the Main Room there are 3 altars in which you can have;
1) Regeneration: For 1000 Gold you can Regenerate Health (5HP/sec) for 20 seconds.
2) Haste: For 500 Gold you're movement speed will be hasted for 20 seconds.
3) Fortune: Your Health will be instantly lowered to 1/3 but all monsters gold values are doubled for a minute
-You can only have one of these active on the same time.

1.1:
-Now there is a chance to face special rounds after the fifth round. Currently the chance that this happens is 10%
the types of those special rounds are;
1)"Same foe, different round" , Next round, only one type of monster will spawn (randomly chosen)
2)"Something Vile is coming" , Three Archvilles will spawn, and they are more than happy to resurrect their slain folks.
3)"Afraid of the dark", your vision will darken and you will be able to see the monsters every 2 seconds ( Lost souls glow in the dark, so they are not affected by this).
4)"No pain no gain", The lower your health is while you're entering this round, the more interest will you gain for your existing gold amount. For example, if you enter the arena with 20 health and you have 100 gold, your gold will instantly raise to 180 Gold plus your wage for those monsters killed in the round!
5)"Barrels of fun", explosive barrels will respawn continuously , so make use of them during this round!
6)"Fuss with the boss" , the next round you could be facing one Boss. Who could either be an Archville, Cyberdemon or Mastermind! So, don't forget to pack extra ammo or consider a nuke. This rounds will only happen on 10th, 20th, 30th..etc rounds.
If you have any other special rounds you would like to see, please suggest them. I would love to add them.
-Now you will be able to see what type of round you will be facing next. So prepare yourself accordingly.
-Monsters won't stuck now. Their spawnpoints were accordingly altered.
-Nukes will get more expensive as you use them.

The new Wad(2):
Megaupload
Rapidshare

have fun!

For a first WAD this looks pretty good, even if I dont want to play it.
But I really like the second shot.

The other shots are looking a bit weird but okay.

You have talent man, use it.
Make more maps and collect some experience then you´ll get a great mapper!

Thanks omegamer, i didn't put much work into decorating because i'm more interested in designing game mechanichs and balancing them, than mapping.
Here are excellent mappers whom work is just plain awesome. They inspire me currently but designing such maps require a special touch, i may be lacking.

You can make the detailing part after the map mechanics are finished.
First of all make the map then go into detailing.

Thats how everyone makes it (I think.)

this is pretty fun! i got up to round 28 or so and then the door closed behind me and i was trapped in the weapons area. i clipped out and saw that a new round had started without me.

there's a lot of work to be done though. the nuke's too cheap and i could easily afford it 2 out of 3 rounds or so, making most rounds a matter of just waiting for everything to spawn in and then nukin' em. there by about round 11 also the rounds all feel pretty much the same. a few more special rounds like the archvile round would be nice.

also a soul sphere would be better then a megasphere as a perfect round reward.

arachnotrons and mancubi like to get stuck on arrival too. make the spawn spots a little more roomy.

good times. I would just work on more special rounds to keep it interesting, like an all baron round, or all hitscanner, etc. you might consider getting rid of infighting to up the difficulty too.

NT

Thanks for the positive feedback folks!
Omegamer, thats exactly what i had in my mind when i started, design the game first and beautify it later.Thanks for the tip.
NaturalTvventy, i'm glad that you had fun with it and i really appreciate your ideas! That was exactly what i was hoping for. So, in the next version this things will be added/changed to Survival Arena:
- Nukes will be more expensive the more you use them (my formula currently is (5000, 7500, 10000,...etc)
- Big monsters won't stuck.
-Special levels : (10 % chance to triggered )
-One type monsters
-pitch black combat
- archvilles (they don't spawn usually)
...etc
-Perks:
-Regenerate Health/Armour for the next round
-Traps for the arena activated by gold

So, that sums it up i guess.
And about that door bug, you should be able to open the door from the weapons room, but i will take a look at this issue as soon as possible. Thanks for the heads up.

Hi,
i've made some changes, don't forget to check the first post! There are now special rounds, although only 5 type of them exists now. So, feel free to suggest new round types.

Thanks for your kind words and round ideas vaporizer! They neat but i need to figure out first how to script them. i would love those kind of challenges in Survival Arena. or maybe some bonuses for special kills ?

Currently i'm working on Perks and additional areas that will revealed when a certain threshold of rounds are achieved. So the more rounds you're into it, newer areas which have gameplay altering elements in them will become available. Expect more jump pads.

New special rounds are implemented : one of them is semi invisible monsters! In another special round the speed of the monsters is "a litte" more then their usual speeds...etc.

New stuff is coming soon. I've also made tweaks about the gold values of monsters. Now it's not so easy to float in gold.

Major Updates are coming soon guys! i Added new areas, curses ..etc. There is also now a new "sacrifice pit" in which you can "sacrifice gold" for health regeneration, haste or sacrifice your health to double the monsters gold values.

Many balance changes, the deatils are coming soon. i'm currently teting the map so, when i'm satisified with it i will upload it.

Here are some new screenshots :

The Sacrifices for Regen, haste and Fortune

A common sight

The New Nuke Arming area

Path to the Curses:

Thanks Naturaltvventy i've uploaded the new version. Have fun!
If you folks have new round, curse, sacrifice ideas let me hear it ;)
So what's coming next?
Of course i'm working on new areas, haste that affects your firing speed , new 2D decorations ..etc. So plenty to do :) and while i'm working on it , have fun.
You will notice that with this update i learned to add custom decorations and projectiles so it was a great experience working on it!

So, about the next update.
There will be new weapons but to get these extra weapons you need to explore your surroundings and try to make sense of the clues which are scattered across the arena. Rumor is, that it's possible to escape the arena! At least some marines who came before you tried it . Now it's up to you to discover the secret behind the arena and continue where others failed.

The "Escape from the Arena" plot is somewhat done till you get your first extra weapon. So the next release will possible feature the first part of this plot.

Also, there will be new monster variants. One Imp variant is done.

i made heavy use of realm667 decorations. Which i thought fit perfectly to he darker hinterland of the arena

here are some screenshots about the new "behind the arena" areas which you can discover.

by the way , i found a bug in the current release that makes impossible to spawn revenants. So, you will be missing these skinny buggers until the next version. Sorry for that.

this is getting better for sure. so far i've played to about round 15. i've seen two alternative game types, boss battle and barrels of fun. I'd try to mix in the changes more frequently.

Personally I didn't find myself wanting to use lots of the new upgrades. i spent all my cash on increasing my health max for the most part, as it's permanent. maybe make those powerups last a whole round or some such thing.

some monsters still get stuck, and i somehow managed to spring my way to a free nuke once, from the ledge with the fear upgrade, etc. all those springboards are a bit annoying, and don't seem to serve much of a purpose. i'd consider getting rid of most, if not all, of them.

keep up the good work, and I'm sure I'll play more of this later.

NT

Hi Everyone, long time since the last update, but i was in the middle of some midterms which hindered Survival Arena's progress. But i used this time tu design my Code in a new way and completely redesign the game structure. i hope i favored some old school doom action by altering it this way. Here are some new screens from the new arena. Please check my Changelog for the details.
have fun and a nice day...

"The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later"