• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abyssalstudios1

How big is your Doom folder?

Bill Cosby said:

[PIC]

Huge boner for Doom.

100 GB??!!!What did u put there?Not even if you combine DOOM 3 and half the DOOM mods and ports out there do you get 100 GB!

killer2 said:

100 GB??!!!What did u put there?Not even if you combine DOOM 3 and half the DOOM mods and ports out there do you get 100 GB!

Well, My wads folder is the largest. It's 72 GB total. I counted the zips/pk3s/7zs/rars/wads as a total of 48,324+. I'll never know the real number. =(

I don't have very many Doom 3 mods, only about 400. I do plan to add more of those, but they're bitchy to collect.

It's a lovely collection, in my opinion, but it's never complete because people shit out more stuff on a daily basis.

My main Doom folder (ports, tools, WAD collections, etc) is 4.5GB and it's gonna grow. It's not organized well yet, just putting there random stuff I recently played. I might be missing a lot of classic WADs so it could grow more.

Also, in my USB external 1.5TB disk, I have download a big ammount of idgames ftp (but I am not sure if I omitted some big files from other idgames). It's 30GB. That makes me wonder about other people saying 70 or 100 GB. Maybe some stuff are twice or more times copied there and forgotten, in some chaotic directory structure? LOL.

Optimus said:

..That makes me wonder about other people saying 70 or 100 GB. Maybe some stuff are twice or more times copied there and forgotten, in some chaotic directory structure? LOL.

Hmm... >.>!?
I don't have a chaotic directory structure. 'Tis far from chaotic. There are more archives than just idgames, by the way. I do my best to keep duplicates from being in there. When I store more files in there, I check for several things that may prove it to be a duplicate. The one thing that has made it most difficult were file extensions being different, like one person uploading it as a .zip and another uploading it was a .pk3 or .rar or .7z. That, in itself, makes duplicate files irritating to sort out.

^
So, are you aiming for a complete archive for posterity's sake or is it only for yourself?

I'll have to check the size of my Doom folder. I know it's pretty big as I keep everything Doom related in it. That includes artwork, fan fics, flash videos et cetera...

Hehe, didn't know about the enviroment variables. Now I have created a directory called IWADs, put everything there and saved space from the 8 ports I am keeping. I am happy now :)

Organizing stuff on HD. To clean up the mess I would suggest total commander. Not many like it yet it makes copying/moving things around so easy by getting used to the keyboard controls. I sometimes hate when most people have scattered stuff all around the desktop but that's just me. But anyway, let's go back to doom discussion..

11.8gb and that's including all editors, several ports (skulltag, zdoom, gzdoom,eternity, and edge), and all games as well. doom, doom 2, heretic, hexen, and strife.

I can't be othered to find out right now, but I know that all of the Doom items I have on my harddrive (ports, editors, wads, etc) is more space than all of my other installed PC games put together.

Some redundancy in terms of IWADS because everything's split into different folders for each IWAD and (in the case of Skulltag, Chocolate Doom, and Risen3D)source port.

Bill Cosby said:

Well, My wads folder is the largest. It's 72 GB total. I counted the zips/pk3s/7zs/rars/wads as a total of 48,324+. I'll never know the real number. =(

Hoarder.

I've gone and organized/consolidated my Doom folder, partially inspired by this thread. It's only marginally bigger now, but it's a lot easier to navigate.

My folder probably in practice won't get much bigger than it is now, since I like to keep around only a small number of WADs that I particularly want to and don't have Doom 3 or anything.

1.84 GB (2712 Files / 194 Folders) and growing

This includes editing tools and other Doom engine games.

It used to be around 5 GB, but I was able to trim it down, mostly by using the DOOMWADDIR environment variable, 7-Zipping ZDoom wads and using PNGs instead of BMPs for textures and texture edits I made.

Per-Scan said:

^
So, are you aiming for a complete archive for posterity's sake or is it only for yourself?

I'll have to check the size of my Doom folder. I know it's pretty big as I keep everything Doom related in it. That includes artwork, fan fics, flash videos et cetera...

Both, but more or less for myself and my friends.

I might have some duplicates there, a lot of own stuff. and a helluva lot of .backup1-1000 files :P

Maybe i'm the weakest guy in doom, or maybe i'm the most space saver:

Folders:
Absolution (i don't know why do i keep this folder)
Backup
Build (Doom Builder 2 64)
Doom Builder 2
Doom64EX (And my custom 64 map is in :)||)
GZDoom (And wads/megawads in)
Megawad (My stopped work of a Megawad, maybe completed later)
Music (Music used for Megawad)
Progress (I also started wads on this, maybe i complete it)
XWE

@C30N9 Wow that's tiny. I'm actually impressed at how organized you keep your stuff.

I'm sitting on 4.9 GiBs total ... I just finished organizing all of the Cacowards WAD downloads into one folder tree (no IWADS and only three copies of source port distros included with those few picky PWADS); that folder takes 2.9 GiBs.

I still have a "tmp" folder of random junk that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it all ... a few dozen PWADS and a bunch of .pk3 addon material for GZDoom and Doomsday. It takes about 400 Megs.

One folder is for the IWADS for all the source ports to share -- it also has all of the weapon mods in a subfolder (660 Megs total -- I like weapons).

That last 1 GiB is for all of the source ports and port-specific addons (Chocolate-Doom, PrBoom-Plus, ZDoom, GZDoom, Legacy, Eternity, Doomsday, and Skulltag).

679kb only counting Doom wads. All other wads are stored on a flash drive which I cannot find cause my desk is a pigstile once again. I suck at keeping my desk clean and tidy.