Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tankjob

How to create a see-through texture?

Hi, since a few days I've been trying to get a new texture working with transparent areas in it. The texture is here:

http://kadritzke.de/curtain1.bmp

I tried with Doom Builder 1 and XWE. Tried bmp & png format, with and without transparency. The curtain is converted to doom palette. Either the cyan is rendered as pale grey (bmp, flat png) or the curtain becomes yellow with dark areas transparent (alpha png).

I haven't been able to find some sort of how-to, though I guess this topic must have been discussed somewhere. Even tried the forum search!

Could someone point me to a tutorial or st like that?

4mer said:

Try this.

Thanks alot - seems like you inserted my texture into a wad - unfortunately, the file cannot be found?

Is it possible to upload it again?

Gez said:

Try this.

:p

Thanks for the hint, slade seems to offer image conversion tools. I actually included the graphic with transparency, but at the wrong place (accidentally replacing another texture) or with the wrong name or without correct headers, being included in the wad, but not showing up as selectable texture.

Seems like I don't know enough about the use of slade and/or the wad file format.

Thus, I'm still looking for a tutorial. :|

Have you tried action 208 - Translucent line? You can set the transparency amount of your texture with it.

Am I missing something here?

HXCpr0n said:

... Am I missing something here?

Yes, you are missing the main point :smile

The 208 special is only for ZDOOM and its children.
Furthermore, it applies tranlucency to the whole texture and not to selected areas only.

I know it can only be used in Zdoom and Doom in Hexen format. I just assume most people use that format by default. Maybe he could pick segments of the linedef to make transparent to and change the offsets so it aligns.... although that is very unspecific, and won't apply to what he wants to do since it affects the whole vertical portion of the linedef :P

HXCpr0n said:

I know it can only be used in Zdoom and Doom in Hexen format. I just assume most people use that format by default.

Not really.

Most projects here are for vanilla/Boom/other ports. There's a number of ZDoom stuff threads too, of course; but people who are interested more in ZDoom than in other ports would probably rather go on the ZDoom forums.

And ZDoom modders are switching over to UDMF, so even they are not using Hexen format by default now. :p