Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Is this garbage or trash?

Just messing around. How does this look to you? I tried to make it easy on the eyes without a lot of clashing like I've seen in a lot of other minimalist wads (8-bit DM/CTF for instance) and strayed away from seizure inducing flashy lights.

Contemplating a free dm/ctf iwad (boom compat) in a simple style like this, as I'm no artist. There could definitely be some cooler stuff going on with this type of approach but I'm just doodling right now.

Given the style has been a source of constant eye rape in the past, this is actually a nice departure from that. The eye rape, I mean :P. I like it!

I love it. I think it could possibly do well with some textures of simple, monochrome geometric designs on the colored backdrops to add some extra interest and style on large surfaces, to go along with the interesting outlined shapes on the floors and ceilings of sectors, though it's already looking great.

I take it this is using a custom palette? It might be worth hue-shifting the magentas a bit to take them out of the standard Doom range; they don't look bad as-is, but it's an easy and rather uncommon change (well, I do it a lot, but I never release anything so it only half counts :P) that can make a big difference in color possibilities.

I'd also replace the yellow in that second shot with something closer to the yellowish-orange wall seen in the first shot. I'm guessing they're both the same texture but with one lit darker than the other, but either way, I think switching the color itself to a slightly more orangey one so it looks that way from any distance would make it fit in a lot better.

Looks interesting, but it'd need sprite replacements in a similar style for weapons and players. (If it was for SP, I would suggest seeing if stuff couldn't be adapted from Phobus' Virus mod; but I don't think the Virus enemies would work as player skins...)

The aliasing is especially bad on these single color textures, but otherwise it looks cool. Not too convinced with the use of gray for walls though.

Gez said:

Looks interesting, but it'd need sprite replacements in a similar style for weapons and players.

I'm not so sure about that...

To throw an alternate idea out there, though, if the overall style is still in flux and open to suggestion, it could also potentially be worth trying something along the lines of some of Warsow's level design, where there's a lot of focus on strong and vibrant colors, without going all the way into outlined solid-color textures.

ahhh.. reminds me of rlight by welkin. he cited warsow inspiration too, but he used conservative colours to avoid eye-rape. it plays quite well, so custom textures and weapons are not something necessary. we actually ran a tourney on the map, going as 'quake' as zdaemon allows, instant weapon switching included.

It kinda looks like a less detailed version of Action Doom 2.

I think it looks cool.

The coloring could be better, IMO. The white and gray make it appear blank, rather than representing something.

And I'd personally do away with the shape on the wall in the second shot, and rather keep the architecture as simple as the coloring.

But I dig those blue steps. The white floor suits them too.

While I see where Essel is coming from I think the bright yellow is a quite nice; nothing wrong with having both yellows. One thing if you are up for it--to do this style in pastels. Pastel green in place of all the white would be pretty bad ass imo (or just as another subordinate color along with pastel peach, pink yellow, brown etc.) or that could be a most terrible idea.

What about replacing the white with off-white or cream? Light pastel beige? Lots of options. I actually started doing something mildly similar to this as a concept for dm, but significantly more minimalist with more blending of colors. I think I may do some work on it today since I never pursued it for some reason. We can compare and compete. :P

Looks interesting, but it also looks like something I'd get bored with after a while. Don't get me wrong, it does look cool... and I'm aware that this probably is in it's early stages, but I'm not totally convinced it's possible to pull off much diversity with simple textures like this... I'd like to get proved wrong though. ;)

I quite like the look of it - the black outlines are a bonus IMO, and I reckon it'd work nicely with any sprites you'd choose to use. MAP01-03 of zctcmaps used a similarly simplistic style for colours (a touch more detail in the textures I think, with blocks being outlined) and it looked good to me with the stock Doom sprites.

I'd say you've only got trash at the moment - if you want garbage, you'd have to drop the lighting and destroy the palette with excess color banding.

perhaps it would be best to have some extra linedefs on the floor on black lines as a "gradient" kind so it doesn't look so jagged.

I like the jagginess. Looks sharp enough to use as a weapon.

Not bad though, in all seriousness. Wonder what the enemies/weapons would look like.

Csonicgo said:

perhaps it would be best to have some extra linedefs on the floor on black lines as a "gradient" kind so it doesn't look so jagged.

I don't think it'd really work very well, and it'd be impractical/inefficient as hell regardless.

You know, I think it is fine just the way it is (in the screenshots). Why don't you release a little demo/trial so we can get a better idea of how it will feel with objects and monsters and firing weapons? It really reminds me of commander keen for some reason. Replace the barons of hell with vorticons, demons with two eyed yorps, imps with one eyed yorps, former humans with mini-robots and shotgun guys with firing robots.

Csonicgo said:

I Think that will just be too much effort only to get a crappier FPS rate

hardcore_gamer said:

normal Doom enemies would look out of place in it.

how lucky then it isn't intended for sp/coop