Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kelzam

Live Doom-Themed Android Wallpaper

Woulda been nice if they threw up a barcode or something to scan to make it easier to track the damn thing down. Searching "doom" on the android market comes up with a bunch of garbage.

Who gives a shit? It's pretty fucking cool, and anyway it's not like the guy's trying to make a profit off of it or anything.

Is it just me or does it look like the Doom Marine just had a reverse Cybie?

Maes said:

Is it just me or does it look like the Doom Marine just had a reverse Cybie?

Someone smack him...he's stuck in a loop.

AgentSpork said:

Who gives a shit?

I don't, but it's just the icing on top of what appears to be a very shitty cake. It might be cool if it was an actual Doom engine capable of playing through demos, but instead it looks like an amateur screensaver from 1994.

Well, there's Doom for Android which is -quite literally- a Doom engine in the form of a C library (I'm not sure what was used as a base though, probably linuxdoom or chocolate doom) with a Java interface, but that one went down for other reasons.

@Danarcy: oh c'mon, I've been Cybie-free for at least a week!

It's supposed to be an animated wallpaper. Anything more advanced than what they've already done with this would probably rape your battery and leave it lying somewhere in a ditch. It looks just fine in motion.. in fact, I'm using it right now.

I'm gonna bring this one back from the dead.. I just downloaded this wallpaper again last night to see if I could stand to have a live wallpaper (verdict: still can't). I think the most frustrating part is that that son of a bitch never strafes.

It got me wondering how this thing was created. It definitely looks like they did use some type of (or some part of) Doom engine rather than completing the entire thing from scratch. Anyone have any clue?

Well, you sure got me curious...(takes ZTE blade out of drawer).

qoncept said:

It got me wondering how this thing was created. It definitely looks like they did use some type of (or some part of) Doom engine rather than completing the entire thing from scratch. Anyone have any clue?

They definitively used the sprites, but for the rest they simply slap them on the screen two at a time (along with some decoration), and some simple logic that causes "fighting". They might have lifted some stuff from the original code if they wanted to keep the timings/animations as correct as possible.

Edit: from a quick analysis of the .dex it uses a bunch of .PNG files for the sprites (Doom sprites with transparency), and the code (after decompiling) looks entirely original.

In any case, here's a permalink to the xda-dev forum:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=827898

It also chews battery like a bitch.

I've had it on my phone for a while. Never use the thing. I like being able to have my phone on for more than four hours at a time.

I never heard of this until this thread was bumped. Personally, I think it's cool. Also, I know this reply is old, but...

exp(x) said:

How is this legal?

How is this illegal? :P

NitroactiveStudios said:

How is this illegal?

It uses IWAD resources presumably without id's consent.

exp(x) said:

It uses IWAD resources presumably without id's consent.

Ah that again...was there ever a clear guideline by id about it? I am honestly confused, as it was not a simple "yes" or "no", and to my understanding it was tolerated up to a point (I think it's OK if you require the user to have the IWAD, but not as an entirely standalone product).

Apparently, it also became an offense to distribute the shareware IWAD some time ago, so anything removely involving Doom should only be reading resourced from IWADs or from resources generated from the user's IWADs (kind of like nLite requires you to provide an XP disk).

Maes said:

Ah that again...was there ever a clear guideline by id about it? I am honestly confused, as it was not a simple "yes" or "no", and to my understanding it was tolerated up to a point (I think it's OK if you require the user to have the IWAD, but not as an entirely standalone product).

Apparently, it also became an offense to distribute the shareware IWAD some time ago, so anything removely involving Doom should only be reading resourced from IWADs or from resources generated from the user's IWADs (kind of like nLite requires you to provide an XP disk).

Well, the answer is obviously pretty simple. id owns the content. If you're using it for something they don't like they'll probably have something to say. Otherwise just ignore it. Never stating any clear guidelines makes it easy to decide on a case by case basis.

Funny enough, it wouldn't be surprising if any of the id members were using this wallpaper :P

[PROTOTYPE] said:
Very nice! It's worth buying an Android just for this.

Um, no. I don't think it's worth buying a hunk of Android-ness to place beside your current mobile for the wallpaper :P

BloodyAcid said:

Um, no. I don't think it's worth buying a hunk of Android-ness to place beside your current mobile for the wallpaper :P

Oh, come on! Droids are not that bad! But then again, that may be just me and my standards being lowered because I still use a Blackberry 8700...

And btw, I was just being sarcastic... :P

Oh by the way

Shaikoten said:

Live wallpapers are cool if you like being distracted and unnecessarily draining your battery.

it's using less battery on my phone than anything else.