Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C30N9

Project Partner Wanted - Hell Z *removed*

I would, if I hadn't been mucked already in other idTech1 projects, therefore an UNRELIABLE CONTRIBUTOR. :(

Unfortunately I am occupied with my own project.

If you want to attract members, you should have something to show for..!

It would also be a good idea to set a goal that you can actually reach... :)

C30N9, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

If this isn't one of those crazy "zdoom3dfloordatalumpxwedecoratelumplolwut" projects, I might consider taking a shot at it.

I just like to map for doom and that's it. Keep the fancy 3D floor/data lump shit away from me, my brain is too small to process it.

Although chances are I might back out after five seconds because I ran out of ideas.

Screenshots of the maps will be soon. This is not the computer so i cant now.

I forgot to tell that this is zdoom (doom in hexen format).

Marnetmar, just mapping, no 3d or decorate, the classic doom only i think but just the mapinfo lump :P.

And about music ill cancel it...

Mappers at least 2 or 3 because i dont have 30 idea for maps, 30 / 3 = 10 which is really good for a mapper to map 10 maps or 15. I suck at mapping computer bases...

C30N9 said:

I forgot to tell that this is zdoom (doom in hexen format).

Marnetmar, just mapping, no 3d or decorate, the classic doom only i think but just the mapinfo lump :P.

Generally ZDoom is acceptable only if you do some advanced editing w/ custom objects, scripting & stuff, not merely MapInfo. ZDoom doesn't play exactly like real Doom any more, so if you want to make something classic-looking, you'd be much better off with the so-called PrBoom, which painstakingly emulates vanilla Doom if you so desire. MapInfo mostly sums up to changing the level name, the music and the sky, and you can do that just fine by editing the DEHACKED lump in PrBoom and replacing the music, sky lumps. Hell, with PrBoom you can replace skies in any sector you want as well.

Why I'm insisting on this? Because very likely the ultra-conservative Doomworld posters will come here and criticize you much harsher about this little issue.

Mappers at least 2 or 3 because i dont have 30 idea for maps, 30 / 3 = 10 which is really good for a mapper to map 10 maps or 15. I suck at mapping computer bases...

Can't speak for everyone, but I'm sure that I wouldn't be able to make 10 maps if I joined... :)

If he's using the Hexen map format, it will not work in PrBoom+... Theoretically, it will one day work in Eternity, and probably in Doomsday too, but don't hold your breath.

Anyway, there are things you can do in Hexen format that you can't in Doom format; and I'm not even talking about scripting; just about the much greater freedom you have with the line specials.

Gez said:

Doomsday too, but don't hold your breath.

Doomsday already supports the HeXen map format in Doom (and probably the Doom map format in HeXen), though it naturally doesn't support HeXen's line/sector types in Doom.

However, Snowberry will not not allow one to load a HeXen format map with the Doom or Heretic profiles; it will remove them when you press the play button; you instead have to bypass Snowberry by placing the wad in the auto folder.

printz said:

ZDoom doesn't play exactly like real Doom any more,

Says who? There are plenty of zdoom wads that feature typical Doom gameplay

so if you want to make something classic-looking,
you'd be much better off with the so-called PrBoom, which painstakingly emulates vanilla Doom if you so desire.

Limiting whether or a map should be old school or new school to which sourceport it's for is incredibly stupid. You can still create a Zdoom map that uses many of Zdoom's features such as slopes and scripting and yet still have it retain an old school feel. Also PrBoom isn't necessarily meant to "painstakingly emulate vanilla Doom". Boom was originally meant to fix bugs and remove certain limitations of the Doom engine, while at the same time adding extra features. Chocolate Doom on the other hand does fit the description or "painstakingly emulating vanilla doom"

Vermil said:

Doomsday already supports the HeXen map format in Doom (and probably the Doom map format in HeXen), though it naturally doesn't support HeXen's line/sector types in Doom.

The result is a different "Doom-in-Hexen" format, one which doesn't take advantage of the format's strengths (parameterized linedef types), yet is limited by the format's weaknesses (no linetype above 255). To be honest, I don't really see the point; I don't expect any map to ever use it.

Gez said:

no linetype above 255.

Doomsday hasn't had that limit since XG was added.

XG also renders parameterized linetypes un-needed; you make your own linetype that does what you want.

Craigs said:

Says who? There are plenty of zdoom wads that feature typical Doom gameplay

I think he means that the engine works slightly differently. Maybe an inexperienced player wouldn't notice, but there are differences. The one I noticed right away is how much longer your melee range is - I think this has to do with the hitbox fix or something?

@Marnetmar

Lol actually i mis-understood your point at first, i thought you didn't wanna do the decorate only or stuff like that, i see that you like to map doom in doom format only right? If your enjoyed in this, you can map the doom format, send me and i'll change it to doom in hexen format because i understand the hexen format.

magicsofa said:

I think he means that the engine works slightly differently. Maybe an inexperienced player wouldn't notice, but there are differences. The one I noticed right away is how much longer your melee range is - I think this has to do with the hitbox fix or something?

That is one thing. Another is the difference in leap length.

C30N9 said:

@Marnetmar

Lol actually i mis-understood your point at first, i thought you didn't wanna do the decorate only or stuff like that, i see that you like to map doom in doom format only right? If your enjoyed in this, you can map the doom format, send me and i'll change it to doom in hexen format because i understand the hexen format.

That would be perfect, thanks! If you plan on using custom textures or anything, that's fine with me. I just can't do the really advanced stuff because I'm a bit of a newbie.

File link uploaded
--------------------------
By the way, i suck at mapping computer bases!!!!!

Hope you like!

You need to give it some time. Projects don't just start up out of no where. Don't feel bad about not getting replies and the sort. Also it's thanksgiving day where I am so not many people will be posting, I would think.

OK thank you for getting in!
After finishing my Doom the ID did! I learned a little of mapping, so i'll change my 5 maps to look better...