Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hand X

Nightmare mode saving buggy on vanilla?

Hand X said:

This is a ultimate doom save file at e2m2 level. There is a bug that comes since e1m3 on my "beat nightmare" on vanilla exe journey. The demons are slow just like on ultra-violence and the fireballs of the other monsters are slow too. Anyone else got this bug?

http://www.2shared.com/file/oGJ8BVU2/DOOMSAV0.html

Well known problem. Strife also suffers this with its skill levels to an even worse degree.

A quick workaround is to start a new game in Nightmare, which always applies the fast monsters flag, and then load your game from there.

Saving is pretty buggy in Doom, though. Things hanging off of ledges will immediately drop to the floor when you load the game (I've even got stuck on HR2 because of this), targets aren't remembered by monsters nor tracers, etc. Just be thankful it's not like in version 1.2 where the game would crash if you saved while under an opening door. ;)

Is there a way to avoid it? If negative, is there a source-port that, other than chocolate-doom, is near as playing on vanilla that doesn`t have this bug?

The least-advanced port of Doom I know of that fixes this is ZDoom (lol). PRBoom is demo compatible with various version of Vanilla, and it might have saving fixed, but you'll have to test that for yourself. If it bothers enough people that much, though, maybe I could throw together a version of Chocolate Doom where those savegame bugs aren't present?

Wagi said:

The least-advanced port of Doom I know of that fixes this is ZDoom (lol). PRBoom is demo compatible with various version of Vanilla, and it might have saving fixed, but you'll have to test that for yourself. If it bothers enough people that much, though, maybe I could throw together a version of Chocolate Doom where those savegame bugs aren't present?

All BOOM based ports fix this. Including Eternity, thank you ;)