Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Progressive Fiction (Hadephobia now on /idgames)

This issue wasn't clear with me either. Vaporizer's previous idea must be perfect, but there's no guarantee of being created in that way. However, it would be a pity if we had no secret exits and levels - these are the ones players are almost the most keen on. And I don't forget the phrase from Magicsofa: "Quality is not measured with the number of levels!", but I still disagree with that "1Monster" concept, that had stopped after 25 maps (more than 20, but still NOT 32). In this lack of idea... well, I might help a little bit.
Anyway, I'm glad to tell that my birthday was in my week slot (12 November; 18) so, I was in the same concept like TrueDude would be if MAP16 was given to him.

I mean we will have MAP31 and MAP32 they just won't be secret. You will have a choice like in Vaporizer's idea. You're right though - I suppose it's too early to say. One things for sure, it's going to be most practical to do MAP31 and MAP32 before MAP16.

So I give MAP31 to TrueDude.

I'll give you the next slot magicsofa but I was thinking MAP32. I was going to allocate MAP16 when all exits to it are finished and MAP32 exits to MAP16 so I thought it's better to allocate that first.

To answer your question, yes. The story .txt is zipped with the .wad. You're on after me so it wouldn't hurt to familiarise, though you will need to download again when I upload MAP04. On that subject do you have free time from now in case I get finished before your slot is due?

To be clear here is a copy of the map slots from the first pages. Any problems/confusion let me know. 17 maps filled and growing is good going I think:

Map Slots

MAP01 (01 NOV 10 - 07 NOV 10): Katamori. Escape from the Asylum.
MAP02 (08 NOV 10 - 14 NOV 10): Cell. Storage Basement.
MAP03 (15 NOV 10 - 21 NOV 10): Melon. The Stench of Freedom.
MAP04 (22 NOV 10 - 28 NOV 10): purist. Washed Up.
MAP05 (29 NOV 10 - 05 DEC 10): magicsofa. Map name TBC.
MAP06 (06 DEC 10 - 12 DEC 10): Vaporizer. Map name TBC.

MAP07 (13 DEC 10 - 19 DEC 10): Cell. Map name TBC.
MAP08 (20 DEC 10 - 26 DEC 10): Vaporizer. Map name TBC.
MAP09 (27 DEC 10 - 02 JAN 11): purist. Map name TBC.
MAP10 (03 JAN 11 - 09 JAN 11): A.Gamma. Map name TBC.
MAP11 (10 JAN 11 - 16 JAN 11): TheMionicDonut. Map name TBC.

MAP12 (17 JAN 11 - 23 JAN 11): killer ninja. Map name TBC.
MAP13 (24 JAN 11 - 30 JAN 11): Cell. Map name TBC.
MAP14 (31 JAN 11 - 06 FEB 11): Vaporizer. Map name TBC.
MAP15 (07 FEB 11 - 13 FEB 11): purist. Map name TBC.
MAP31 (14 FEB 11 - 20 FEB 11): TrueDude. Map name TBC.
MAP32 (21 FEB 11 - 27 FEB 11): magicsofa. Map name TBC.
MAP16 (28 FEB 11 - 06 JAN 11): YOU!?!. Next available slot.

Download the compiled WAD so far here.

purist said:

On that subject do you have free time from now in case I get finished before your slot is due?

Certainly, the earlier the better :)

Vaporizer said:

But I don't feel like going to page 1.

Neither do I. It seems to be more practical if the slots can be read anywhere in the thread.

Erm... so, how are you on with the map, Purist? Have you decided where to continue the progress of being washed out of the sewer?

Well I've sketched out my layout, which I'm quite pleased with cos I always work faster with a plan. I've also started the map but it's just the starting area right now.

The map will be a rocky area with a dam, which you need to lower to flood the area and reach the higher ground where the dock is going to be. Where you finish you will see the dock and the boat out at sea. I think it will finish with you reaching the dock, magicsofa can place his map there and Vaporizer will probably do his map on the ship (depending on if magicsofa continues that theme - he might take it into a new direction).

That's the plan, if what you get isn't quite like that it means it was too ambitious for me!

Well, sounds clear now!
Anyway, it's the first so-outside-themed level since the beginning of the project. Nobody was able to see the hospital from outside until then. I don't suggest strictly to represent it somewhere, but if it can be seen slightly on the top of a cliff surrounding the sea, it would be more realistic. Just to remind the player where he actually escaped from...

Hmm, I suppose I could. It wasn't in my plan but I'll see what I can do. I kind of wish we stayed longer in the hospital. There's potential for a few ideas but we only saw one corridor of the asylum, the basement and the sewer.

Maybe the story will return us there later in the MegaWAD...

Whatever people choose in the storyline is fine with me to continue.
Good luck with Washed up!

Actually, I was thinking of how about "locking the circle" and finish there where we started off. The hospital itself again might be around MAP28-MAP29 and in MAP30, it is ruined to dust to reveal the Icon of Sin, rebuilt by the remaining hellspawn with the help of those revival substances found somewhere in the hospital.

If I can somehow land Map30 I have already come up with an incredible ending. The twist is insane!

TheMionicDonut said:

If I can somehow land Map30 I have already come up with an incredible ending. The twist is insane!

Really? Well, if Purist does allow it, there you go...

Quick question: Will there be novelty monsters such as Keen or Wolfendudes used? A usage of them for...special purposes would be optimal.

I don't know, but then, as long as Purist let us to use only original textures, I don't suppose it's allowed either.

TheMionicDonut said:

Who knows what twists and turns the story might take before MAP30. Someone might introduce a similar story earlier on that makes your idea redundant or maybe the story will develop in such a way to make it unworkable.

MAP30 will in some ways be the most important map as it will decide the ending after many weeks of work. I might 'audition' the last map after all the others are complete. Everyone who is interested in the slot could write their ending on the thread (spoiler tagged) and we could vote in the best idea. I'd at least want to give it to someone who has already contributed to the project. Just some thoughts. I'll make that decision when the MAP29 slot is taken.

TheMionicDonut said:

Quick question: Will there be novelty monsters such as Keen or Wolfendudes used? A usage of them for...special purposes would be optimal.

I hope not. I don't care for them outside of Wolfenstien secret levels and hopefully the project won't go to Nazi Germany! I don't know what to say about custom content. I'm not against it and only excluded it in the rules as it's my first attempt at running a project and wanted to simplify it where possible. I was tempted to allow WFALL textures maybe even the replacement of the Keen and Nazi sprites but for the sake of clarity I decided against it.

I suppose my suggestion is that if you have a particulary good idea and it's integral to making it work then put it to the thread and if it's workable enough for me to implement with my limited technical abilities gets the general approval of the other contributors I'll consider it.

Oh no its not for custom monsters...I'm actually gonna PM you my idea for the ending. Suffice to say, and not to discredit the rest of the community, but I REALLY doubt my idea will be used any time except maybe on map 29...and thats a pretty heavy doubt.

What I can say though, is that it would rely on custom sounds, that could be provided through the usage of the novelty monsters so as not to interfere with regular monster usage.

I see now, purist wanted to make as little WAD as possible, ala. the file size must only depend on the level files and some music. BTW, Nazi & Keen sprites can not be modified for e.g. waterfall, lavafall or mudfall textures AFAIK. However, only using these 3 (12) textures require separate TEXTURE1 and PNAMES files. That's it.

Cell said:

I see now, purist wanted to make as little WAD as possible, ala. the file size must only depend on the level files and some music. BTW, Nazi & Keen sprites can not be modified for e.g. waterfall, lavafall or mudfall textures AFAIK. However, only using these 3 (12) textures require separate TEXTURE1 and PNAMES files. That's it.

I meant replacing Nazi/Keen sprites for other sprites not textures and it was more for organisational reasons than filesize that I decided against. But yes, I was trying to keep it simple. TheMionicDonut has given me his ideas and I've told him I'll include them if I can and that goes for anyone else too but they would be special one off instances only. I'd prefer to see what we can all do with stock resources.

I see your point now more clearly. Nazi and Keen are not so easy to replace, though. As long as there aren't W3D-style levels predicted, they may be replaced for something either like Cybies and Minds, or a normal monster (Blue cacodemon with 800 HP rulz!).
As for stock resources, it's still simple to work with that we have got, however, sometimes undecorative resolutions may appear. I mean... anything in the lack of water- and lavafalls. Maybe if the WAD is released (and has also a great success), we should start PFII off with new textures included.

Where do we go after washed out of the sewer?

If this goes well and there's enough interest I'd certainly do PF2. I will be more open to custom resources by then I expect. Maybe use a resource WAD for textures/flats or something. I'm not planning on releasing this under the name Progressive Fiction though - that's just a name for the concept. As a group we'll decide on a name in fitting with the story when it's done.

Speaking of the story...

Spoiler

Doomguy washes up on the bank of a rocky area. Also on the banks is a dying man who tells they are on an uninhabited island but it is possible to escape by smuggling yourself onto an unmanned frieght-ship in the dock. The dock is on higher ground that is impossible to traverse but can be accessed by lowering a dam and flooding the ravine with water. The map will finish with the player hitting the switch to open the gateway to the dock.

I've got a few thoughts about why the dock and boat are there but I don't know how much to reveal at this point. I might let magicsofa or Vaporizer fill in those gaps. If magicsofa makes his map the dock and Vaporizer's as the ship it will be a nice way to round off the first 'episode.' The intermission text would give the players destination and episode 2 will start in a whole new place.

Interest seems to be a problem, but never mind, June is still far.
About the intermission text... well... Who writes it? I suppose Vaporizer should do this but maybe it's my task or even ours.

Cell said:

About the intermission text... well... Who writes it? I suppose Vaporizer should do this but maybe it's my task or even ours.

I'll write the intermission but it will be a summary/recap of the combined story's from MAP01 - MAP06.

walter confalonieri said:

i like to join this project in the 16 map, or what do you like...

Good timing walter. Cell was beginning to worry :-) MAP16 is yours. It is quite an important map as it will bring together the story of maps 15, 31 & 32.

Here's confirmation of your slot and the next available one, the full list has been updated on page 1:

MAP16 (28 FEB 11 - 06 MAR 11): walter confalonieri. Map name TBC.
MAP17 (07 MAR 11 - 13 MAR 11): YOU?!? Next available slot...