Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spank

Obvious Doom port is obvious

Huh. Cool, even if just for the novelty. As I know, PS3 was jailbroken pretty recently, but wasn't there a load of problems with it? Barring the obvious firmware updates, of course.

He's the first person I've ever seen call the X button on the playstation controller "CROSS"

In the linked thread, there are talks about porting PrBoom+ and GZDoom too. (Plus Quake.)

Meh.

Sony will prevent modded PS3's from being usable soon enough rendering this version of Doom fairly worthless.

And besides that I already have Doom 2 for the Xbox live arcade.

footman said:

We shall not rest until Doom is playable on every electronic device known to man!

Next up, microwave oven Doom!

Next time I buy a microwave, the first question I ask the sales person about every one will be, "does it have Doom on it?"

An oscilloscope Doom would be sweet as well, especially because I have a feeling the screen resolution is 320x200. And lots of buttons there, too... BTW, which is easier to port, Doom or Wolf3d?

printz said:

BTW, which is easier to port, Doom or Wolf3d?

Doom is better coded. Wolf3D is a giant pile of hacks duct-taped together by crazy glue. Also the Doom source code was cleaned-up before release (by Bernd Kreimeier); the Wolf source code was released as-is with a notice saying "it compiled last time we tried so it should probably still work, but anyway, if it doesn't, don't ask us for help because we'd feel very embarrassed if we had to look at this horrible code again".

hardcore_gamer said:

Meh.

Sony will prevent modded PS3's from being usable soon enough rendering this version of Doom fairly worthless.

How? will they come into their homes and confiscate them?

I've had it with Sony's bullshit. They removed OtherOS instead of letting people use the hardware they legally bought. It's disgusting, and it's one of many reasons why SONY products will never be bought by me.

Csonicgo said:

I've had it with Sony's bullshit. They removed OtherOS instead of letting people use the hardware they legally bought. It's disgusting, and it's one of many reasons why SONY products will never be bought by me.

I have strongly disliked Sony since the Sony rootkit fiasco. (Don't put a Sony-published audio CD in your computer or you get a free rootkit that'll disable your burner, wee!)

PlayStation 3: It Only Does Everything

(Except play PS2 games. We took that out to squeeze a few more bucks out of each purchase. Same with SACD playback, since no one bought those anyways but we're too proud to admit that the format failed. And Linux support, since some jerks were using it as a supercomputer instead of gaming -- not to mention that, like Nintendo, we equate legitimately-produced homebrew with piracy and we can't have any of that.)

Console manufacturers use a wonky scheme where they sell the platform at a loss in a great frenzy of dumping competition; and then they expect to get it back by selling overpriced games.

So when someone buys a console and don't use it for playing their overpriced games, they lose money and are angry.

Gez said:

Console manufacturers use a wonky scheme where they sell the platform at a loss in a great frenzy of dumping competition; and then they expect to get it back by selling overpriced games.

So when someone buys a console and don't use it for playing their overpriced games, they lose money and are angry.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing that business strategy go straight to hell.

hervoheebo said:

Huh. Cool, even if just for the novelty. As I know, PS3 was jailbroken pretty recently, but wasn't there a load of problems with it? Barring the obvious firmware updates, of course.

I certainly haven't had any problems yet. ;-) If you're referring to the legal problems the makers and sellers of the original PSJailbreak device & clones have been having, well, it's much better and cheaper to buy a "generic" USB development board anyway. Like one of these. (there are also implementations of the exploit for some phones, calculators and such equipped with USB ports if you happen to own one).

The PS3 exploit software for those generally gets updates much faster and Sony can never stop those (unless big corporations manage fuck up the legislation around the world even more, haha), because their makers don't use Sony trademarks/logos they don't have a license to use in their branding and advertising, they don't distribute material that Sony owns the copyrights on (the original "backup manager" included with the original PSJailbreak dongle was compiled with Sony's official SDK, acquired illegally) and because they have a lot of other uses besides exploiting a PS3 via USB.

40oz said:

He's the first person I've ever seen call the X button on the playstation controller "CROSS"

Really? :-)

Gez said:

In the linked thread, there are talks about porting PrBoom+ and GZDoom too. (Plus Quake.)

Yeah, I am definitely interested in doing PrBoom+ myself later after I get all the basics right and cleaned up in PS3DOOM. Someone else said they'd port GZDoom using Sony's SDK. That's not legal to use of course, but nobody probably really cares. ;-) I, too, would still use the precompiled end product myself if I ever felt the need to play a (G)ZDoom exclusive mod on a PS3.

hardcore_gamer said:

Meh.

And besides that I already have Doom 2 for the Xbox live arcade.

They can of course keep updating their firmware and make new game releases require those updates (and they can also block PSN use from those who use exploits on their PS3), but I have faith that all new games will eventually be playable offline w/o giving up "jailbreak". Offline play IMO is the primary deciding factor in whether masses are interested in keeping their console hacked or not. A lot of people do have the DVD mod or even the JTAG mod on their Xbox 360 though modded consoles will always get banned from XLive sooner or later.

Gez said:

Doom is better coded. Wolf3D is a giant pile of hacks duct-taped together by crazy glue. Also the Doom source code was cleaned-up before release (by Bernd Kreimeier); the Wolf source code was released as-is with a notice saying "it compiled last time we tried so it should probably still work, but anyway, if it doesn't, don't ask us for help because we'd feel very embarrassed if we had to look at this horrible code again".

Well, IMO bk's "cleanups" are not unquestionably for the better. I don't think the Heretic/Hexen sources are really that much more messy (AFAIK both are just the sources for the last DOS release -- nothing more, nothing less), and bk introduced a couple of bugs while he was at it. Right now, they plague many ports based on the original source release whose authors have probably not played the original game in a while and don't question it when map names are broken in Final Doom and when switch animations & sky textures are broken in Ultimate Doom. ;-) See: PS2DOOM & CDoom (I mean the one for Symbian).

And let's not forget the various sound problems which appear even in the official Xbox1/Xbox360 ports, though these are not really bk's fault (he probably didn't decide that yeah, let's release the Unix source w/ buggy sndserver, not the DOS source). As in no proper support for variable sample rate in effects, not stopping sound effects properly and I don't like that random pitch effect too much either (yes, I know it's in the earlier DOS versions).

The biggest problem with Wolf3D is that it was not originally written with portability in mind (Doom was, remember that it was actually developed on NeXT) and that it was written for a 16-bit compiler & environment.

CODOR said:

(Except play PS2 games. We took that out to squeeze a few more bucks out of each purchase. Same with SACD playback, since no one bought those anyways but we're too proud to admit that the format failed. And Linux support, since some jerks were using it as a supercomputer instead of gaming -- not to mention that, like Nintendo, we equate legitimately-produced homebrew with piracy and we can't have any of that.)

Actually, I think OtherOS was originally put in there exactly for supercomputing -- to get people more interested in the Cell processor and coding for it. It was definitely not intended for running your average homebrewed media player, ports or emulators or otherwise they wouldn't have restricted GPU access in OtherOS mode. Maybe they would even have given you official PPC Linux drivers from NVIDIA for the GPU.

May I recommend to you interest in porting Odamex to the PS3? It was recently ported to Xbox with Wii support coming some day and has support for duel analog already. Plus client/server multiplayer and an SDL-based browser!

CODOR said:

My fav version: PS3: It only does less and less with each hardware revision and firmware update

Playstation 3: It Only Does Everything that's already been done better somewhere else.

Cue response chain.

Gez said:

They also sell overpriced accessories, don't forget about that. A freaking PS3 controller costs $54. Hell, the newest 360 controller costs $70 because it comes with the Play & Charge Kit, and you cannot get one without it.

That's across the board, though. I think the new 360 controller (the one where the d-pad supposedly doesn't suck) is about $70 I think. The regular controllers are about $50, and I think the Wii remotes are about $40.

Heh, never realized how damn expensive the things are. It'd be ironic if the Razer controller winds up selling for nearly the same price.

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed off with the lack of PS2 support from the my newer slim model (my old phat one got the Yellow Light of Death). Now I have to get my clunky PS2 out if I want to play TimeSplitters :(