Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Music to map and mod to

I figure that a fair number of mappers and modders play background music while they work, whether it's from something like Winamp, a CD in the disc drive or an MP3 player like the iPod.

I myself listen to my entire playlist of 11k+ songs, composed of heavy metal, black metal, death metal, folk metal, stoner metal/rock, gothic metal, doom metal, a little bit of grindcore, classical/baroque compositions and finally actual Doom music.

What sort of music do you folks listen to while working on Doom related stuff?

I listen to my everyday-music normally.

I listened to a lot of Xmas tunes when I first began working on my Xmas project. Now I have about 2 GB of Xmas songs. I took a greater interest in Xmas movies too, and I plan to see that one movie with John Cusack that I forget the name of right now...

As for my everyday-music, it's been melancholic songs lately, as I'm heartbroken... :)

These are all what I "mostly" listened to.

When I worked on Phobia I listened a lot to Marc Pullen tracks.

When I worked on Curse of D'sparil I listened predominantely to In flames.

When I worked on base maps for Phobos I listened to a lot of Rammstein actually, as well as a shitload of KMFDM. But when I worked on the hell maps I listened to Hans Zimmer and At the gates.

I listen to a lot of stuff while mapping, and it's interesting how each one has it's effective motivation for me to continue mapping. :) Some of the bands/artists I listen to are Rush, Vertical Horizon, Switchfoot, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Genesis, Yes, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, Primus, Voivod, Audioslave, Alice In Chains, Living Colour, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Sting, The Police, Jason Upton, James Taylor, U2, Tool, Isao Tomita, Flim & The BB's...the list goes on. Some other stuff I listen to are the PSX Doom soundtrack, Doom I & Doom II MP3 soundtrack, Icarus: Alien Vanguard soundtrack, and some favorites from Mark Klem, David Shaw and Rich Nagel. :)

Also, I tend to watch movies when mapping a lot as well. More recently it was Star Wars Episode III & Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Any instrumental music, but I usually listen to trance/house music when I make DM maps.

I have weird connections to the music I listened to and the projects I worked on at the time. Whenever I revisit a project, I immediately think back to the music I listened to while working on it.

For instance, Greenwar II I listened to a lot of Boards of Canada and Loscil. While working on Vela Pax MAP03 I listened to a lot of Monolake, Marconi Union, and Biosphere. And recently with MAP05 I listened to a ton of Aidan Baker stuff and Boards of Canada (specifically Geogaddi). I suppose as I find new artists to listen to, I get inspiration from that and it reflects in whatever I'm working on at that time. I generally listen to lots of drone and ambient stuff while mapping.

Just my everyday music, which broadly is these genres:

Heavy Metal (all sorts)
Rock
Industrial
Punk
Electronica
Rap & Hip-Hop
Game Music
Acoustic
Drum 'n' Bass
Pop
Funk

(Listed in a rough order of numbers)

I find genres a bit of a crap way of saying music, but I can't be bothered to list a load of bands to try and state the diversity.

Like Mechadon, some songs stick in my mind in relation to projects that I've worked on. Oddest one probably being Scourge MAP21 always conjures up "Imaginary", "Tournequet" (sp?) and "Haunted" by Evanescence. Dunno if I just listened through the album or happened to have a small enough music collection back then that hearing those three was likely, but there you are.

Lately I've been listening quite a bit to the Hellraiser soundtrack by Christopher Young.

Mostly listens to game/movie soundtrack music or chill out synth stuff.

General rule: fast, hard, progressive music for building; slow, calm, lowkey music for detailing and bug-fixing.

Maybe also an audiobook every now and then.

Mechadon said:

I have weird connections to the music I listened to and the projects I worked on at the time. Whenever I revisit a project, I immediately think back to the music I listened to while working on it.

I do this too. For some reason, I still associate Beck - Hi 5 (Rock the Catskills) with working on a certain room of an old map of mine that I was working on around 2006-2007 (before realizing what an impossible mess the level had become and just scrapping it to start on Vapor). :P

I don't really have any specific mapping music beyond what I feel like listening to at the moment. Some of my all-time favorites are Beck, Boards of Canada, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, Opeth, the pillows, The Decemberists, Moody Blues, and Junior Boys.

Recently I've been listening the hell out of the Telefon Tel Aviv album "Immolate Yourself". Mechadon, you will like this.

Before that, I listened to a lot of Björk, and I spent a few weeks before that listening to almost nothing but The Flashbulb.

I listen to a lot of progressive mostly, and other stuff that I wouldn't know how to categorize (but others probably could easily.) Lately it has been Kaipa, Beardfish, Omega, and Mindthings. If I am not listening to these, I am a sucker for old game music or remixes of said music.

Vaporizer said:

I believe that a Worms TC is needed.

Someone is working on one, actually.

I don't listen to music while mapping because it takes up precious ram and memory or whatever and makes doom builder run slower (and if I go in 3d mode, the music stutters and 3d mode is stuttery). Instead, I always have the tv on while I'm at the computer.