Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Cool Longplay video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWHULOpHZ30

Just found this vid on the LP archives page, and this is quite a different type of lets play video, this is the guy actually reacting to how scary the monsters are. He does not seem too skilled at Doom, but this video is actually quite good with the narration and all. Are there any other videos like this with this kind of narration?

yawn.

On thanksgiving I got to let my 14 year old cousin play Doom 1 for the first time. She doesn't play many video games besides the occasional game of mario kart and harvest moon. It was really fun watching her react to the lone 4 monsters on E1M1 on I'm too young to Die, she got lost a couple times on E1M2 and decided she didnt wanna play anymore when she got to E1M3

It was really cool seeing her be intimidated by what is to me, the most insignificant monsters in the game. It was also cool seeing her get to explore areas and find secrets and stuff. She said it was scary and she doesn't opening doors because the monsters are hiding right behind them. I wish I had recorded a demo but I had her play the Doom Triple Pack flash game because the computer I had access to didn't have Doom installed. I think Doom is something everyone should have to experience, especially non-gamers.

40oz said:

It was really fun watching her react to the lone 4 monsters on E1M1 on I'm too young to Die,

Wow whee. When I was 4, I was allowed to play Wolfenstein from E4M8 on death incarnate, and I managed to kill with the pistol all those officers attacking me. What's so hard to 1) point the gun to the enemy and 2) fire until it dies, content that the pain frames keep it immobile?

@Printz, i dont think you got the point. His sister hadn't a hard time killing the zombies, she was just frightened of their prescence.

Also, did anyone see the ending of theese lp videos? It was really riddiculous, but i suppose it brings the "story" he told of all the time to a epic ending. :P

This is pretty entertaining. I haven't seen the original Doom played this way in a long time. It reminds me of when I was playing Doom while some younger kids watched and they seemed astonished that I didn't need to use the cheat codes to survive the first episode. :D

40oz said:

yawn.

I wish I had recorded a demo

Now, that would have been one huge yawn.

I like watching LP`s, or just a map or two if there are commentaries. Some are boring, some are good and some are really entertaining.

I have always like to watch my friends play games. I`m really not that into playing games myself, but I`m somewhat interested in games, and that way I get to see the game in action, while still being social and whatever. May sound weird to all you gaming nerds here though ;)

darkreaver said:

Now, that would have been one huge yawn.

Not for everyone else to watch, just for me. It's really entertaining to me to see someone I know do an FDA of Doom 1. Everyone here is a pretty skilled doomer and even if they aren't they are very familiar with the IWAD maps so I couldn't ask anyone here to do that for me. I refrained from giving her hints unless she got really lost, and I congratulated her on completing the simplest tasks to keep her motivated. I'd like to get some other people to do the same thing.

Heh, I actually remember doing that with a friend of mine, once. Only just to be a barstid, I started him on E5M1.

40oz: alright, I see :) Yeah, stuff like that is quite interesting, and when it comes to LP`s (havent checked out the one this thread is about) I like them the most when the player havent played the game (or at least not the maps/mods/expansions) in question before at all.

I just don't get the purpose of LPs. They can't be doing it for fun. Are they trying to promote the game or promote themselves?

If they were doing it for fun then they probably wouldn't be so vigilant to the comments toward their videos. If they were trying to promote the game, they are much better off creating a video like this one

And if they were promoting themselves, they should probably have something to show like good jokes, interesting conversation, being good at the game they are playing, showing off secrets they found or something. but it's not. It's just boring commentary on things I don't care about, lame predictable reactions, and descriptions of things I can already see. In addition to all being bad, those things interrupt the person's gameplay. I've NEVER seen a good LP.

I watched all of Antroids LP - Alien Vendetta videos. Haha, damn, thats ALOT. He fails miserably all the time, cant find shit, dies all the time etc, but still I watched them all. I think I did so because I LOVE (really LOVE) AV, and I wanted to see his reactions, thoughts etc on the maps. Even simpler; I just like watching AV being played lol.

Also I love english with russian accent :D

edit: I checked out a few of his DV vids, but I was literally bored to death. So from beyond the realms of death I had to contact a necromancer friend of mine to perform the darkest of rituals to bring me back to the land of mortals. Damn.

EDIT: no it wasnt Antroid`s vids, it was his friend, but I cant remember his nick.

40oz said:

And if they were promoting themselves, they should probably have something to show like good jokes, interesting conversation, being good at the game they are playing.

Like this one? :D

But seriously, I also prefer watching UV max runs where the player shuts up and focuses 100% on playing DooM, especially on slaughter maps that have good gameplay, I love seeing the tactics and routes that players like Belial, and Adam Hegyi come up with while defeating the map as fast as possible. I also watched a few videos of Tenda Monsta playing through Kama Sutra that were awesome as hell to watch.

darkreaver said:

So from beyond the realms of death I had to contact a necromancer friend of mine to perform the darkest of rituals to bring me back to the land of mortals. Damn.

Was his name Judas Priest? :)

40oz said:
It was really cool seeing her be intimidated by what is to me, the most insignificant monsters in the game.

This happened to me for a while the last time I made a radical change to my key settings. A lone imp was scary, zombiemen would make me want to flee and any nearby ledge into slime was a veritable hazard.

40oz said:

I just don't get the purpose of LPs. They can't be doing it for fun. Are they trying to promote the game or promote themselves?

Actually, I do it because I just enjoy commentating while I play. It's probably because I'm still scared shitless of doom, and talking and feeling like a metaphorical someone is there with me to converse with makes it less terrifying.

So, yeah, it is kinda for fun. Where I usually post them is a place where no one else plays Doom though, so in a way it promotes the game there too.