Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
valhallaist

The "First Person Shooter" soundtrack from the Doom movie

There are A LOT of projects out there which use copyrighted music and I've never heard of anyone getting sued for using it. As long as you use copyrighted material in a non-profit way and you mention the original creator in the credits, you will not get sued.

BlueEagle said:

There are A LOT of projects out there which use copyrighted music and I've never heard of anyone getting sued for using it. As long as you use copyrighted material in a non-profit way and you mention the original creator in the credits, you will not get sued.

Idgames probably won't accept the wad though, unless you turn the soundtrack into a midi.

BlueEagle said:

As long as you use copyrighted material in a non-profit way and you mention the original creator in the credits, you will not get sued.

Depends on the copyright holder. Most probably wouldn't but there's still some that would cause you problems. As far as the letter of the law is concerned you are violating it so they have any right to sue you. The only reason most don't bother is that it would cost them more money than it is worth.

Graf Zahl said:

Depends on the copyright holder. Most probably wouldn't but there's still some that would cause you problems. As far as the letter of the law is concerned you are violating it so they have any right to sue you. The only reason most don't bother is that it would cost them more money than it is worth.

Indeed.

While the presence of copyrighted music in a Doom WAD is unlikely to ever be pursued legally, there's no truth whatsoever to the common misconceptions that it's somehow okay if you credit the person you ripped off and don't charge money for the stuff that isn't yours to give out in the first place.

You're most likely "safe" through obscurity, this is true, but the related legal claims are totally false. Unfortunately, they're also extremely common, along with countless similarly untrue variations. Tell your friends so I don't have to. :P

And why would you want to use the "first person" Doom movie soundtrack? D_E1M4 is good enough for the job.

BlueEagle said:

As said in another thread, I question where your values are at.

I put copyrighted NFL and NHL music in the IDL compilation wad for the past few years. I have no values

40oz said:

As said in another thread, I question where your values are at.

And I question your attitude. Like in the other thread you're trying to tell people what they should or shouldn't do. Who do you think you are? The pwad-police?

Tons of projects have ripped music, sounds or textures from Quake, Duke Nukem, ROTT or what have you and nobody questions the copyright issues with that. So why draw the line here? Because it's from a movie? I could name you several projects even on idgames archive that have music from Matrix, Lord of the Rings or other well known movies - but who cares? Where is the harm?

To me it just seems dickish to tell people they get sued if they wanna use this or that in their project, because in reality NOBODY gets sued. Technically you COULD... but you won't ;)

BlueEagle said:
So why draw the line here? [...] Where is the harm?

For idgames, the harm is that if the admin didn't curb the practice, the archive would get filled with WADs embedded with MP3s, potentially making some "intellectual property" lobby take legal action against idgames, forcing him to have to delete a ton of WADs. Ty has received notices from a couple of corporations in the past and took measures to comply with them, but hasn't done anything to provoke anything bigger. The less commercial MP3s there are, the less likely such an action could occur any time in the future. It's essentially done to ensure we have a lasting central archive that's more or less free from legal pitfalls. Unlike MP3s, partial ripped game content hasn't normally caused legal cases.