Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
johnfulgor

Wad with a car

The original Action Doom has a rather enjoyable car chase section in it with all sorts of vehicles.

Although you will have to find it yourself as its one of 3 possible routes at that point in the game.

iHaveToPee said:

I remember that there's a car in tnt but I don't remember where.
2nd episode for sure I think that in map 20

That's MAP19 "Shipping & Respawning" and a trailer truck, not a car.

Bobsklim IV said:

The original Action Doom has a rather enjoyable car chase section in it with all sorts of vehicles.

You get the option to demolish an expensive-looking red sport car in AD2. There are also plenty of other vehicles too, cars or not, including a bus, a subway and a helicopter.

I'm not really a fan of his. Granted I've seen some prety good looking vehicles, but sectors really aren't very handy for depicting real life objects.

Yeah, but sprite-based cars look a bit crappy too (because they are large stationary objects, when the angle changes it looks odd)

The best option would be a 3D model, but that isn't really ideal for Doom unless your using something like GZDoom or JDoom. (also would a voxel car be possible, I've no idea if it would look bad or not, and what ports actually support voxels apart from an experimental ZDoom build.)

Doom 2 probably didn't have sprite based cars for the same reason.

Captain Toenail said:

(also would a voxel car be possible, I've no idea if it would look bad or not, and what ports actually support voxels apart from an experimental ZDoom build.)

Possible, but very tedious to create. Once they're done, they'd probably look just as fine as a large sprite in a 2D game.

There is a big map towards the end of Kama Sutra (possibly map 20, though don't quote me on that) that has several cars, and a big truck tipped on its side.

I've seen a demo wad years ago, but don't remember where it was. The wad had a car made of sectors and used a skybox to create the illusion of a moving car.

More interesting then how a car can be build, I find the question, will it ever be possible to actually drive a car in a Doom engine. The Build engine made it possible long time ago.

LogicDeLuxe said:

I've seen a demo wad years ago, but don't remember where it was. The wad had a car made of sectors and used a skybox to create the illusion of a moving car.

You are probably thinking of Risen's cartest.wad.

Then there is also Csabo's movingbus.wad.

LogicDeLuxe said:

More interesting then how a car can be build, I find the question, will it ever be possible to actually drive a car in a Doom engine. The Build engine made it possible long time ago.

Probably with 3d models and a lot of scripting. I'm thinking of the intro to Paranoid.pk3 by Rex.

LogicDeLuxe said:

You drive a boat in AD1. Come to think of it, there's also a games consol in it where you drive a car in a knight rider for NES kind of game.

Well, me and keksdose made drivable cars for zdoom quite a while ago, we havn't released it yet, because we were trying to make a video of us driving them online in skulltag, sadly, the videocapture sort of failed and the script and stuff just rests on my harddrive nowadays.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/25605234/ICYKD-DrivableCarsv_2.zip

Theres the link, the Cartestmap&resource is only if you want a city map to drive around in.

Its basically made with thrusting the player forward depending on how long the player has pressed the forward key, if you turn too much, the car will go in a skid state, it will turn way more, make a skid sound, and leave a skidmark on the ground ;)

Play in Zdoom or Gzdoom(latest svn might be recommended, not sure really), the testmap was meant for Gzdoom, so theres some 3D floors for decoration, gl mode is not obligatory though.

"Summon Skyline" or "Summon Diablo" in the console, and press use on the car, drive and steer with your default running keys. you can jump out again on the "jump" key.
The sprite edits were made by me from the Batmandoom cars...

note that the cars you can find in the city is just static decorations (that can blow up) so if you want to drive one, Summon "Skyline" or "Diablo".

Hopefully i can crap out a demonstration video sometime soon, we took some footage of online driving around with keksdose, but it sort of failed, and we never retried. but im going to bug him so we can release a video of this.

ALSO BIG BIG BIG NOTE, YOU MAY NOT NOT NOT USE THIS IN ANY PROJECT WITHOUT MY SPECIAL PERMISSIONS.
[/shamelessplug]

LogicDeLuxe said:
will it ever be possible to actually drive a car in a Doom engine.

if your talking about they way you can drive stuff in Shadow Warrior (Build engine) with sectors and their linedefs that can move on a horizontal plane instead of Doom's vertical plane restriction, then I doubt it.

Bishop said:

if your talking about they way you can drive stuff in Shadow Warrior (Build engine) with sectors and their linedefs that can move on a horizontal plane instead of Doom's vertical plane restriction, then I doubt it.

Is it possible in a limited way using zdoom's new polyobject features? The cars in Shadow Warrior are pretty limited I think, I don't recall ever using a vehicle that could move outside a small area.

Pƶlyobjects are still more limited than the Shadow Warrior stuff, though.