Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iHaveToPee

Waterfall&Liquidfall textures

Hey, I'd like to add waterfall&lavafull and all those falls to my wad, however I have a problem: I have no idea how can i make them streaming so they are useless for now.
How can I modifty them to stream?

It completely depends on what port you're using. In Vanilla Doom, all the animations are hardcoded, so if you want an animated texture, you're going to have to replace and animated texture. Boom-compatible ports such as ZDoom have a lump called ANIMDEFS that you can use to define new animated textures and flats.

More accurately, Boom-compatible ports have an ANIMATED lump which defines animations, but you have to create it with an old command-line program called swantbls. ZDoom also offers the ANIMDEFS lump, which is derived from Hexen, in plain text format and much easier to edit, but don't expect ANIMDEFS support in any Boom-compatible port.

Gez said:

More accurately, Boom-compatible ports have an ANIMATED lump which defines animations, but you have to create it with an old command-line program called swantbls.

Is there a way to generate and edit this directly in SLADE3 yet, or is SWANTBLS still the only way to go?

Well, if you could edit that in slade yet, I'd have pimped it in this thread. :p

Sir Juddington made comments about multiplication of entry panels and that a generic system to edit all these kind of lumps (like also the PNAMES lump, for example) would be the way to go, so I've stalled on this point waiting for the generalized binary list editor.

Gez said:

but don't expect ANIMDEFS support in any Boom-compatible port.

Just to clarify, Risen3D is a Boom-compatible port that does indeed support ANIMDEFS

hawkwind said:

Just to clarify, Risen3D is a Boom-compatible port that does indeed support ANIMDEFS

But it has its own editing features as well. ZDoom is also roughly Boom-compatible in addition to its own feature set, and supports ANIMDEFS. I think Gez just misspoke a bit, and meant ports that stick closer to just supporting the Boom feature set.

Yeah, there's a bit of a difference between "Boom-compatible" and "Risen3D or ZDoom". ANIMDEFS is not part of the featureset that defines Boom-compatibility, so if you just say "Boom-compatible" and it doesn't work in PrBoom+ or Eternity, well...

I meant "any" in the "pick a port at random, any port" sense, rather than "none of them at all" sense. Should have said "every" instead.