Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SYS

No Doomsday in 2012

As explained by an Astro physicist:

Some people are going to very depressed when we don't all die horribly.

It'll take until 2013 until 2.0 is out of beta? Someone tell DaniJ to hurry up!

Oh wait, that Doomsday.

Gez said:

Oh wait, that Doomsday.

Fuck you, Gez, I wanted to make that joke.

killer2 said:

What?!

They're like jewelled self-dribbling basketballs and there are many of them and they come pounding toward you and they will stop in front of you and vibrate, but then they do a very disconcerting thing, which is they jump into your body and then they jump back out again and the whole thing is going on in a high-speed mode where you're being presented with thousands of details per second and you can't get a hold on [them ...] and these things are saying "Don't give in to astonishment", which is exactly what you want to do. You want to go nuts with how crazy this is, and they say "Don't do that. Pay attention to what we're doing".

What they're doing is making objects with their voices, singing structures into existence. They offer things to you, saying "Look at this! Look at this!" and as your attention goes towards these objects you realise that what you're being shown is impossible. It's not simply intricate, beautiful and hard to manufacture, it's impossible to make these things. The nearest analogy would be the Fabergé eggs, but these things are like the toys that are scattered around the nursery inside a U.F.O., celestial toys, and the toys themselves appear to be somehow alive and can sing other objects into existence, so what's happening is this proliferation of elf gifts, which are moving around singing, and they are saying "Do what we are doing" and they are very insistent, and they say "Do it! Do it! Do it!" and you feel like a bubble inside your body beginning to move up toward your mouth, and when it comes out it isn't sound, it's vision. You discover that you can pump "stuff" out of your mouth by singing, and they're urging you to do this. They say "That's it! That's it! Keep doing it!".

We're now at minute 4.5 [of the trip] and you speak in a kind of glossolalia. There is a spontaneous outpouring of syntax unaccompanied by what is normally called "meaning". After a minute or so of this the whole thing begins to collapse in on itself and they begin to physically move away from you. Usually their final shot is that they wave goodbye and say "Deja vu! Deja vu!".

Gez said:

Oh wait, that Doomsday.

Bloody hell... beat me to it.

But yeah, this isn't news to me.

Don't you see? The combined catastrophes in the year 2012 will be so devastating that they'll trigger a great time reversal, heading us back toward the year 2000! That's the real threat; its Y2K all over again!

Seriously though, this whole profit driven memeplex did spawn one catastrophe: the 2012 movie. I wonder how many scientologists starred in it. Wait, this could be a nice little niche for me to make money in too, not like there's many left. 2012 is true, really! Buy my 2012 lunch box t-shirt and coffee mug, only 19.99, plus 9.99 s&h.

Mr. Freeze said:

How is this news? We've all known this for years.

There's people out there that still persist with the assertion, and hearing it hurts my brain.

Technician said:

I thought the video was lame.

While I don't agree with your opinion,I respect it.Not everyone has the same sense of humor.

fraggle said:
All you need to know about the 2012 phenomenon is that it originates from a man whose other claim to fame is that he coined the term "self-transforming machine elf".

Aha, I'm sure using the secure Wikipedia will save us against those!

Interestingly, a somewhat free-thought-driven story by R. H. Barlow (A dim-remembered story) had these entities I was immediately reminded of when I read that description. Maybe he used the same or similar drugs while he wrote that...

myk said:

Aha, I'm sure using the secure Wikipedia will save us against those!

I make it a habit to always browse using the SSL-encrypted version of a website where possible. My keyword search bookmarks are all configured this way.

This is what prompted my decision.

Someone on slashdot quipped that the most powerful weapon in modern day warfare would be a catapult that launched naked kids listening to pirated music at your enemy.

I sometimes use ixquick when I'm researching how to make bombs and capture people for my secret human caterpillar project OH SHIT, I didn't just say that!

IM NOT CONVINCED IM STILL DRINKING MY LIVER AWAY ON DECEMBER 20th 2012 AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO STOP ME LALALALALALA

Considering the 21st December 2012 is my 21st birthday, I'm not intending to be sober for most of it anyways. So when I wake up on the 22nd with the hangover of the century, I'm almost certain the fact I've survived yet another Doomsday theory will be the last thing on my mind.

That's crazy man, mine's on the 20th, so its the last day before the end. Unfortunately it's my 22nd birthday but whatever.

Reevys said:

Considering the 21st December 2012 is my 21st birthday, I'm not intending to be sober for most of it anyways. So when I wake up on the 22nd with the hangover of the century, I'm almost certain the fact I've survived yet another Doomsday theory will be the last thing on my mind.

My birthday is on the 22nd. I won't even get to experience mine :/

Mr. Freeze said:

My birthday is on the 22nd. I won't even get to experience mine :/

Yea right...