Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insane_Gazebo

Simple custom FLOOR problem

I've imported a simple custom version of FLOOR1_6.bmp, which I've made orange and have imported into my WAD using XWE, which I have named FLOORGLD.bmp. It appears fine in XWE. But, once I've loaded up DB2, I get this:

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2255/textprob1.jpg

And that's how it appears once I've loaded up the map, too. I swear I've had this problem before and that the solution was something really simple, but I simply cannot remember what I did, and none of my forum searching has brought up anything useful.

entryway said:

Looks like the flat is not 64x64 (66x66 or something)

It's 64x64. I also double checked to make sure XWE didn't give it some absurd offset, but that's also at 0,0.

If it's a flat, it does not have offsets at all. A flat is just a raw dump of pixel data, and it relies on the software knowing what it's supposed to do with them -- that it's a 64x64 row-major single-planar 8-bit paletted image, not anything else.

Gez said:

If it's a flat, it does not have offsets at all. A flat is just a raw dump of pixel data, and it relies on the software knowing what it's supposed to do with them -- that it's a 64x64 row-major single-planar 8-bit paletted image, not anything else.

Ah, of course, that makes alot of sense. What are the numbers in XWE just right of the 'W:Auto' button, then? They appear to move the flat around.

What the hell. Out of desperation, I used the 'Replace' option in XWE, putting the same texture back in the .wad, and it's fixed now. I am so confused right now.

The flat needs to be converted to the format which DOOM uses.

From the screenshot it's obvious that it is still in BMP format, i.e. you have inserted it as a raw lump instead of getting XWE to convert it to the DOOM format. I have never used XWE so I dunno how you are supposed to import flat images.

andrewj said:

The flat needs to be converted to the format which DOOM uses.

From the screenshot it's obvious that it is still in BMP format, i.e. you have inserted it as a raw lump instead of getting XWE to convert it to the DOOM format. I have never used XWE so I dunno how you are supposed to import flat images.

I always assumed that importing a 256 colour (8-bit) BMP was Doom friendly. Or does XWE not really care?

Insane_Gazebo said:

Looks like you forgot to select "Save as Doom Flat" from the Image menu, that strips away the palette (multi-coloured junk at the top of the image) leaving you with a 4096 byte raw image lump.

Out of desperation, I used the 'Replace' option in XWE, putting the same texture back in the .wad, and it's fixed now. I am so confused right now.

That'd work if the "Floors" filter was active at the time - it automagically converts loaded images to flats.

GreyGhost said:

Looks like you forgot to select "Save as Doom Flat" from the Image menu, that strips away the palette (multi-coloured junk at the top of the image) leaving you with a 4096 byte raw image lump.

Ah, that would have been it! Had no idea that was there, either. (No doubt I kept looking through it.) Thanks.

Insane_Gazebo said:

I always assumed that importing a 256 colour (8-bit) BMP was Doom friendly. Or does XWE not really care?

Your first statement is true, but not always so (especially when using XWE). If you use XWE to import the graphic in raw data format, then XWE will retain the image's attributes without converting it into the DooM garphic format. This works when you use images in, say, .png format. [Naturally, this is only suggested when you're using source ports that support such format.] However, when you use images in bitmap format and instruct XWE to import it as raw data, you'll get the messed up images you're seeing. Simply import the graphic (without specifying raw data format), and the problem ought to go away. In other words, XWE does care.

[Note, that XWE will properly convert a bitmap image from the standard 256-color palette into DooM graphic format. However, try converting a png image and you'll see messed up colors. The same would likely happen if you used a custom color palette for a bitmap image.]