Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Does Doom 64 EX have controller support?

I would love being able to play Kaiser's Doom 64 EX on my TV, but I won't do so unless I can use a controller like my Xobx 360 controller. Is that possible or can I only use a mouse and a keyboard?

hmmm but actually trying it out would be too easy.

Having actually talked to Kaiser himself about this, the answer is no. There's no controller support at all at the moment, and it seems he won't be adding any any time soon.

Just grab one of those programs that can map controller input to keyboard/mouse input. JoyToKey is the only one I've used, but I'm pretty sure there are a few catering specifically to the 360 controller now.

Joystick/Gamepad support was broken initially, so I removed it altogether. Though because this is a PC game, I never thought anyone would even bother using a controller.

Because of lack of time and personal life nonsense I am only focusing on high priority items and bugs that need to be addressed. Unfortunately not a whole lot of people here uses controllers to play Doom so controller support for Doom64ex is unlikely to be available in the next upcoming release. However that said, I can put it on my to-do list for a future release.

Strangely enough I've wanted to add support for the Xbox 360 controller when I initially started on Doom64ex.

ya go for a program that can map to a keyboard, ive tried it, works well! If you have a controller, you should have this anyways, it makes way more games compatible..

Dragonsbrethren said:

Just grab one of those programs that can map controller input to keyboard/mouse input. JoyToKey is the only one I've used, but I'm pretty sure there are a few catering specifically to the 360 controller now.

Interested; tell me more

Kaiser said:

Though because this is a PC game, I never thought anyone would even bother using a controller.

That sounds really odd, being a Doom 64 port :p

I'll be playing it with a controller on a TV as well (via XPadder with a 360 controller) entirely because its nigh impossible to play it on a real console here. Even if I could, the N64 controller is the most evil abomination in history...the one time I did play it when it was still a new game, I couldn't shoot because I had no clue there was a hidden Z button under it that was the trigger >_>

EDIT: I didnt even see that link to Xpadder, ah irony :p