Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Doom Turns Seventeen

Oh look, it's that damn cake again. I guess you know what that means. Yes, today marks the day 17 years ago when Doom shareware was uploaded to the University of Wisconsin's FTP server. And for the past seven years, we at Doomworld have graced our readers with a new feature highlighting the year's best releases, as nominated by you and chosen by Scuba Steve (and a few others).

This year, we are proud to present The 17th Annual Cacowards. And yes, this post is almost an exact duplicate of last year's.

Happy 17th Doom! Congrats to the cacowards winners... Especially that fucking 40oz asshole. Fuck you and your obnoxious amount of mapping.

Another year, another cacoward. Great stuff as usual. Although I'm a bit surprised that the Vulvuzula Doom mod didn't get a single mention seeing how its influence kind of reached the outside world.

By the way, who does the logos for the Cacowards? They're pretty cool.

Quality as always. Glad to see Turbocharged Arcade squeaked in.

PS: I'm honored to be a runner-up, but the wad is called "Beyond Revival." [/end pointing this out while trying to not sound like a douche]

I'm disappointed that Stronghold got an award and BGE2 did not. Also FWIW, this makes 10 years of me getting some sort of top ten/cacoward listing with every serious project I've participated in or directed.

Another year, another fine number of WADs, another well written Cacowards article. Congratulations to all winners, etc. Think I've got to get round to playing CoD'S, as I've tried most of the others out that I'd want to!

Seems to me the best mappers not only produce really high quality works, but they produce a LOT of them - as long as we still have a few of them, the community has nothing to fear :)

It's good to see Curse of D'sparil, UAC Ultra, Epic 2, and Speed of DooM got cacowards they deserved.

Wow, I didn't know 40oz was so involved with so much put out this year, fuck him for being able to make a better map in 3 hours than I can make in a month!

It's very cool that you guys made that whole runners up list so nothing gets forgotten!

Time for some reading!

Edit: That was an interesting read, thanks Scuba Steve and team for putting together such an interesting cacowards. Sorry to hear your not doing the next cacowards Scuba.

Petty much every wad listed in this year's cacoward is well deserved but wait a minute...*checks mockaward*...There's a TurboCharge Arcade sequel!? A day before the cacowards!?

Oh its beginning to look like Christmas :)

Also lol at Eons of Death getting worst wad!

Just a note about the awards this year... I didn't pick them. Each project was chosen by the individual who wrote the article. Each writer was allowed to select 3 projects (UD didn't have the time to finish 3... so I wrote 2 instead of one). This is all part of my plan to make others accountable for the Cacowards so I don't have to work a hard :P

Great read, as ususal. And great wads as well. A lot of fine stuff up there, though I wasn't nearly as surprised with this year's Cacowards as I was with last year's, it musta been because there were so many damn fine projects this year, a good year of mods indeed!

Happy birthday Doom! Also, Cacoward is great in this year (like previous Cacowards)

but, AEons of Death is the worst WAD? It is a joke?! I think, there are a lot of bad WADs on idgames, which has been uploaded since the beginning of the year...

although I enjoy every seconds, which I play with AEoD, I can understand your opinions... a bit pointless but in my view this is it, which cause a huge experience! yes, sometimes might be better if you might choose a theme or a concpet, but if everything is similar, later it cause boring gameplay! e.g. in Epic 2, when I started to play, I liked MAP01, MAP02, MAP03, etc. but after MAP08 I want to see something new!

finally, choosing AEoD for the worst WAD... I'm disappointed. however, other WADs are great, you chose well :)

and sorry for my grammar mistakes

EDIT: I wanted to see Claustrophobia 1024 2 for winning, I don't mind :)

As far as I can tell the chief purpose of Aeons of Death is to answer those "who would win if X fought Y with Z?" questions nerds love to pose.

Your mileage may vary, but I kinda like it. :/ Although I wish it didn't need 3-5 separate PK3 files that sometimes won't load in the same order as the previous playthrough.

Good choices, overall. But I really would have liked to see Paranoid take Stronghold's place as the token high-end ZDoom project to be chosen for an award.

Katamori said:

finally, choosing AEoD for the worst WAD... I'm disappointed. however, other WADs are great, you chose well :)

Why not? AEoD is the epitome of utter pointlessness. That thing would be good as one thing only: a resource WAD to be taken from for other projects. But that's precisely what it is not.

Although there may be other projects that are actually worse on a purely technical scale, the Worst WAD award needs to stand for something. Not just for releasing a crap WAD. That'd be far too easy.

Katamori said:

but, AEons of Death is the worst WAD? It is a joke?!

It makes sense to me. The article even says it's not the worst of its genre, and it recognizes the technical quality of the work done; but points it as the worst because it's the epitome of a pointless category of mods.

Further, it's better to do that than to give free publicity to the likes of Terry/Poppy Jones.

Graf Zahl said:

Why not? AEoD is the epitome of utter pointlessness. That thing would be good as one thing only: a resource WAD to be taken from for other projects. But that's precisely what it is not.

Although there may be other projects that are actually worse on a purely technical scale, the Worst WAD award needs to stand for something. Not just for releasing a crap WAD. That'd be far too easy.

Although AEoD have mistakes, I enjoyed every seconds, which I played with AEoD. I don't know exactly, why, but it's sure, I love it. In my previous post I tried to say, why I like it.

Gez said:

It makes sense to me. The article even says it's not the worst of its genre, and it recognizes the technical quality of the work done; but points it as the worst because it's the epitome of a pointless category of mods.

Worse - the worst, not the same. I know, its not the worst of its genre, but the name of the "award" is: the worst.

Okay, sorry, you're right, it doesn't matter.

Katamori said:

Worse - the worst, not the same. I know, its not the worst of its genre, but the name of the "award" is: the worst.

Okay, sorry, you're right, it doesn't matter.

Read my previous post. 'Worst' is not just the project by itself but placed into context.

Don't get so worked up over it. What should Tormentor have said last year when his 'Detail guide' got this award then?