Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_Dude

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I was lurking the Bethesda Forum today. There was much speculation that the next Elder Scrolls would be announced at the VGA's on Spike and apparently Todd Howard made an appearance, which I totally missed... blah blah blah, then somebody posted this trailer and here it is.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vga-10-elder-scrolls/708368

Would be nice to see some actual screenshots or some real gameplay action, rather than whatever that was.

Not much in the line of games gets me stoked and such but a new TES game... hell yeah, bring it on.

They better not be using that piece of shit Gamebryo engine for it, or else I will be thoroughly pissed to put ANOTHER title on that buggy engine.

I wonder, will it be laden with glitches, errors and bugs on day one like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas were?

Mr. Chris said:

They better not be using that piece of shit Gamebryo engine for it, or else I will be thoroughly pissed to put ANOTHER title on that buggy engine.

In that case, don't read too deep into the game.

Just don't. It'll be for your own good.

Seeker_of_Truth said:

Oh man, I'm excited. I liked all the main Elder Scrolls games (except Morrowind...I haven't played it yet). Too bad it'll be next year still.

Wow. The one you haven't played is the best one by far. I wish I were you and had such a game ahead of me to play.

I'm going to go ahead and assert that that WAS in game rendering, and I'm going to shit my pants accordingly. I probably will be disappointed, though. Although it pissed me off to no end, I loved Morrowind, though I could never really get into Oblivion. All Morrowind really lacked was decent travelling options. Even the ability to run longer distances (without cheating) would have been nice, though mounts would be even better. That's what mods are for, though. C:

You could run basically forever in Morrowind if you did it right. It was also easy to go at ludicrous speed without cheating if you had the right stuff. Too easy in fact -- especially if you could fly.

As for Gamebryo, it's just middleware. The bugginess of Oblivion (and every other Bethesda game) is their own doing. Daggerfall and Morrowind are both terribly bug ridden. Morrowind had a crash-recovery savegame feature for a while, just like MS Office, because they couldn't fix the pointer math in their menu system.

Anyway, I'm up for more TES. Would have preferred something like Hammerfell/Elsweyr to Skyrim, though.

AndrewB said:

Wow. The one you haven't played is the best one by far. I wish I were you and had such a game ahead of me to play.

Yeah, I heard it was good. I'm hoping to get that sometime soon and try it out.

If you complain about Morrowind's traveling or character speed, you're doing it wrong. Traveling was as easy as it could have been without spoiling the game's challenge. To get more speed out of your character, you should be constantly going to trainers to level up while increasing your athletics and acrobatics. Once you've maxed out these stats, you're pretty much like Spiderman bunny-hopping from rooftop to rooftop.

I for one hope they hire more than 4 goddamn voice actors this time. Also the dark brotherhood has to be in. If they can do those 2 things, gamebryo engine or not, I'll probably enjoy it.

Mr. Chris said:

You couldn't have talked with ID to use their new IdTech5 if possible?

No, fucking no. The last thing I need it to have to buy a new machine to play an rpg on yet another shitty ID money vacuum.

Morrowind is my favorite game and Oblivion wasn't bad so I'm very excited to hear about this. I hope it's not as generic a setting as Oblivion, at least it seems they've brought back the excellent Jeremy Soule. I get so excited whenever I hear the Morrowind musical motif.

Hopefully they'll have refined Gamebryo enough by this point that it can handle the more vegetation rich areas of TES games.

I played the shit out of Oblivion, hopefully Skyrim will improve on it's flaws though.

i was one of those assholes who played no games but morrowind for 2 years.
then i built a new pc for oblivion and wished i hadn't bothered...
so...ES V...we'll see.

Wait, dragons are the bad guys this time around? Dragons? In a setting where dragons are nobility in the main culture? And the most important god is a dragon? How does this make sense?

My wishlist:
1. Animators who aren't car mechanics
2. Competent writers
3. Engine improvements (since they sticked with the damned gamebryo)
4. A QA team

Bank said:

I hope it's not as generic a setting as Oblivion, at least it seems they've brought back the excellent Jeremy Soule.

I hate that asshole.

I have my doubts if this game will be an instant classic, I hope its not anything like Oblivion if it comes to gameplay. I am hoping they draw more inspiration from Morrowind.

I am going to be skeptical and not buy it on day one (made the mistake with NV, not doing it again), so to check their forums to see if others end up having issues.

dutch devil said:

I have my doubts if this game will be an instant classic, I hope its not anything like Oblivion if it comes to gameplay. I am hoping they draw more inspiration from Morrowind.

:smug: fallout without guns? :smug:

Wonder if they'll actually get the beast races' legs right this time (digitgrade as opposed to plantigrade)

My biggest issue with their engine is it still doesn't do real shadows. Shadows are important, damnit, and I don't mean the stupid little ones actors cast on the ground/closest wall.

It's also too bad nobody working on these games lives in the frozen north. They never get the visual effects of snowy climates right in games.

Hey Alio, have you tried Cryostasis? I only played the demo, but I'll be damned if they didn't do an amazing job with the cold, snowy atmosphere.

Yay, more Elder Scrolls! I hope this one is more like Morrowind and less like Oblivion. I don't even mean gameplay-wise, but just setting-wise. Morrowind made you feel like you were in a truly fantastic if not alien place, but Oblivion seemed just like Generic Fantasy World #9238472. The weird thing is that in previous lore, Cyrodiil was supposed to be a subtropical area and the Imperial culture was supposed to be Romanesque. Oh well.

Well, at least this means that the next Elder Scrolls game isn't going to be an MMO. We have enough of that crap already.

Danarchy said:

Yay, more Elder Scrolls! I hope this one is more like Morrowind and less like Oblivion. I don't even mean gameplay-wise, but just setting-wise. Morrowind made you feel like you were in a truly fantastic if not alien place, but Oblivion seemed just like Generic Fantasy World #9238472.

I agree. That is probably the biggest reason that I was offput by Oblivion. It just wasn't interesting to explore, tbh. I actually kind of liked the mechanics of the game better than Morrowind, but it just couldn't hold my attention with the setting.

You guys talk like the vanilla versions of those games were even worth playing? I thought everyone modded the shit out of those "sandbox" games, especially considering the whopping monstrous TSE modding community. Of course, the truly outstanding content and game-changing mods aren't fully developed until at least a year after the official vanilla release.