Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TwinBeast

Doomed Déjà Vu

I made a level to celebrate Doom's 17th birthday!

The idea for the level was to make Doom (E1+E2+E3) into one level. I selected the areas that were somehow memorable to me, so it's not something from every level. Some areas are quite close to the original, some areas only have the idea and some areas combine multiple different areas into one area. I used Doom2 to have more different monsters.. and the super shotgun.

The level became quite large and it took me over an hour to play it through. The difficulty level is quite high, but it has skill settings implemented. On Ultra-Violence there are 666 monsters and 36 lost souls. There are also 313 items to be found and 17 secrets (which are quite easily found).

I've tested it in GZDoom 1.5.06 and Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6.9 (without models, too many monsters for my computer handle as models I think). It'll probably work fine with other ports that can handle large levels.

Ok, and here's a download link: http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/ddejavu.zip

This is doom!

Some of the homages were weak, some of them good enough that they worked in your level, like e2m4 nukage area. The green armor homage was weak. The blue armor one was less weak. You should sign up for my dtwid project (check my sig).

I really enjoyed it! Well, I died. I will attempt again now. Very well designed. I love this kind of doom.

Played through it, Some areas looked pretty cool, some looked better (the DIS homage). And some areas were kinda meh.
Still, you merged everything pretty well together.
One thing that was very annoying was the switch hunt, took me ages :P
It was very hard, by far too hard for my taste. But I dont like slaughter maps in general.

I have yet to play this, but the concept is basically like this map I was making earlier in the year but never finished. By the look of it you're doing it better than I was. :P Look forward to giving it a spin...

To me E4 is a bit mehheh, as in I've not played it enough for the levels to have become memorable.

The switch hunts in the boss areas are to sort of make sure that the bosses are killed.. best would have been doors, stairs, whatever de/activate when the bosses have been killed.

I took some screenshots from my playthrough..
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/ddejavu_nukage.jpg
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/ddejavu_toxref.jpg
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/ddejavu_deilab.jpg
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/ddejavu_soc.jpg
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/ddejavu_conarea.jpg
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/ddejavu_tower.jpg
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/ddejavu_slough.jpg
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/ddejavu_hellkeep.jpg

the amount of times I've raged-quit at the first arch vile area... I just can't seem to do that part right. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I love how demons are always chasing you. I actually hate it... but few maps implement demons as well as this one.

Heh, well, thanks, good to know the demons work fine. I guess I always try to put demons in places they could possibly harm player.. too often demons are just relatively tough kind of cannonfodder with no possibility of ever reaching the player to bite him.

My thoughts are that demons need to either surprise player, or be in somewhat large numbers in cramped areas.. or a distraction meat wall that takes the damage and gives other monsters a better chance at hitting player. And if player has the supershotgun, then they need to be in much larger numbers or do a much better surprise.

This sounds really fun. I'm gonna have to make time to play this.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Just saying, the part with the Tower of Babel homage looks weird and not really... Well, like the Tower of Babel. The rest of it looks cool enough for me to say everyone should give this a try.

Fisk said:

Just saying, the part with the Tower of Babel homage looks weird and not really... Well, like the Tower of Babel. The rest of it looks cool enough for me to say everyone should give this a try.

Initially I thought it looked cool, but now that I look at the area, I think it could have had a bit more detail on the blood/skin/blood border. I think I just forgot to add more there in my sleep deprivation. I think I made the level in 5 days/nights and I only slept one "night" in the middle, or something like that.

One specter at the 'beginning of e1m3' always manages to sneak up on me. Yes, very good job on the demons/specters.

Why isn't this wad going viral like less worthy ones do? What are your criticisms of it?

Fun challenging vs. stupid challenging. This level is really fun up until you leave the e2m4 area after unleashing the first arch vile--it then becomes stupid hard, which is a damn shame, because this is such a great map up to this point. I gave up trying to record a demo of me getting anywhere in the map... now I am save/loading which is not nearly as fun as playing a map with no saving/loading. :(

also, slaughter maps = blech.

also, you give out energy cells when you should be giving out energy packs, plasma rifles when you should be giving out BFGs, health potions when you should be giving out stimpacks. The e1m8 part is just ridiculous. :(

Ah well, I had some more energy cells and rockets in that area, but then it felt too much. Of course the arch-viles there can bring a bit of trouble there if they manage to resurrect too many monsters. Well, you could always try an easier skill.

UV skill I made for me, as I know what to expect, I don't want it to be too easy for me. Well, my tactic in the E1M8 area is to quickly kill the arch-viles with rockets, maybe a bit plasma, if it didn't die from 3 rockets. Then clear the rest with something else. Also it's a good idea to not let anyone die too near the baron cages. That effectively makes the arch-vile resurrect that monster and shield himself with it.

I think the lower amount of attention this wad is getting, is because I've not visited these forums for quite a long time now.. and then I suddenly come back and release a wad without any "warning". Another possibility is that it's actually mediocre wad, neither good or bad.. and mediocre stuff always gets forgotten and not raise much discussion. I released my previous wad 2009.10.02, so it's been over a year now.

I think this map is good. I've made it past that first archvile part and just assumed that is where we've left the 'first part' of the level and then the real level begins. I love hard maps and when I complete this one I'll have a full review.

Alright Jimi: I finished your map. Really cool except for a couple of places. The final battle room was a bit of a let down, too easy. The e2m2 area is too hard for where it is in the map because of the 4 archviles with the arachnotrons and the layout of the room, only very experienced doomers will find it fun and after that the level gets a bit easier. Also, from the first archvile to the e1m8 room, the ammo and health is extremely unbalanced. The rest of the map is fine for health and ammo though. Overall, I had fun (except for a couple of rage-quits). I especially liked your e3m1 area with the new castle. If you uploaded this to idgames I'd have given it a 4. To those who were complaining that this is a slaughter map, it is not. If you have an hour or two to kill give this map a go guys.

Well, conserving ammo is important, so it's not a good idea to use 3 shells for a demon, finish it with chaingun instead if it didn't die from 2 shells. At the beginning use one rocket per caco/hellknight and try to get them close together, so the rocket explosion also damages others. Then blast with shotgun couple times and finish them off with chaingun. Probably at some point you have to use plasmagun too, but try not use it too much in the beginning.

I haven't really tried the easier skill levels, but they have decreased amounts of monsters, but all item and ammo amounts are the same with each skill level.

And yea, the Dis are is quite easy, but then again, it was quite easy originally. Don't know what I could have done to make it more difficult, perhaps I shouldn't given bfg for player anywhere in the level. And maybe the invulnerability should have been invisibility instead?

Well, I've uploaded the wad to idgames, but it's been in the incoming folder since I started this thread...

The dis area could have had revenants around the outside perimeter and a couple of arch-viles in the center with the barons, the end room with the exit could have had a cyber-demon or three spawn in for the final small room. Maybe you could have used more mancubi there too since they were kind of sparse. Thank you for not chaingunner spamming me.

it's not a slaughter map, you're right. the revenants at e2m1 made me say that. I actually like the homage nature of the map now. I do like this map a lot. It's just frustratingly hard at first. Now I'm stuck at the tower of babel part. Like, overkill much? I wouldn't give this wad anything less than 4 stars.

the E3M1 pit is soooo prettty!!!

Level has given me new appreciation for the Rocket Launcher

There's also one homage to Heretic and one to Hexen.. well, the Heretic homage could also fit to Hexen.

Ah, well, those are good ideas for the Dis. Now that you mention the mancubi, it gave me idea that I could have made it a bit homage to Dead Simple, but sort of inversed(and switch activated), so when some of the switches are activated, the outer borders of the area open a bit and lots of mancubi emerge from there. Though I also wanted the map to have exactly 666 monsters (and 36 lost souls).

I've had so much chaingunners in Final Doom, so I don't like them too much. And when I use zombies, then I use all three types to have more variety.

Very good work. Start is easy, but playing on Ultra Violence was a mistake... Everything is ok before I'm walk to the area with first ArchViles and Arachnotrons. Oh God, I spent half hour before I was able to successfully deal with them. Next areas were also difficult and I must load my games several times. Tower of Babel area with Cyberdemons are ok, I managed to kill them in the first time, but Revenants on top of the blood stairs surprised me. Next areas was even more difficult and at the end I must use gode mode.
Map is very linear but look incredible, like something between original Id Doom/Doom2. Great atmosphere, great design, feel like original old good Doom, but very difficult.

Overall this was an extremely good map, I felt, and very classic-Doomy, both in the overt homages and in the more original sections.

It could have done with about a dozen fewer arch-viles, though. In fact, I have a hard time understanding why you didn't just make it for Ultimate Doom; the other Doom 2 monsters don't detract nearly as much from the Doom 1 feel as the Arch-Viles do, but I still have to ask why?

But basically everything about the map's architecture is pure doom 1, is what I'm saying. That's why I think the arch-viles clash (aside from the fact that he uses them too often for my taste, period); I certainly don't have any problem with them as a monster per se.

I love fighting arch-viles and I too found them to be used a bit much in this level. Especially that arachnotron fight in the e2m2 area. If he continued using them like he had been, by the end of the map we would have had 20 AV's per room by the Dis area :( So I did notice that he backed off a bit. If he removed the AV's though, the map would have been far too easy.

I got about as far as that arachnotron fight in the E2M2 area that DoomHero mentioned. And where's all the health? Did I pass a room full of megaspheres somewhere? :p I think I'll just turn the difficulty down a hair and give it another go. Map looks beautiful by the way.

Hehhehee :)

I just happen to like arch-viles. Don't know why I didn't add more arch-viles to the Dis area. Not that I would have had 20 of them at the same time. Unless player has some good covers to hide behind. Well, now there's max 4 of them at the same time. I think if I had had more, then everyone would have complained a lot more about them.

I agree that E2M2 fight can be tough, that's why the window near the switch lowered, so you can escape the room easier(otherwise you had to run back to the door to the room, and then shoot everyone from there, which was boringly easy). Then just shoot rockets at the other side, try to hit the arch-viles first or get them shot by the arachnotrons. Also use the little CEMENT alcoves for cover, they usually have just enough cover to block the arch-viles' sight to you.

There can be only one... megasphere in the level, 3 soul spheres, one berserk and one invulnerability, 3 blue armors and 2 green armors.

Hellbent said:

Level has given me new appreciation for the Rocket Launcher

Yea, I'm thinking rockets are rather imporant to have in this level, starting from the E1M8 area, rocket launcher probably becomes the most important weapon in the level. Though best reserved for the arch-vile encounters.