Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cell

Flats with wrong alignment

I don't know whether you've already noticed this.
Mapping for the first time (2009. 07. 02.) I've just started to get some textures known. Then, it happened. I've ecountered CEIL1_1 (the 64x64 wood flat) not aligning as well to the 64x64 grid as CEIL1_3 and FLAT5_1 does. Later searching in the resource list, I've found five more flats like this: CEIL3_1, CEIL3_2, CEIL3_5 and CEIL3_6. It just frustrated me. Well... I'm sure it is a bit odd to bring up, but were you also a bit outraged when first meeting this?

You mean that the textures aren't centered? It's easy enough to fix that by replacing the texture with a modified version if it really bothers you. Or ZDoom based ports have a sector special for panning the ceiling texture over if you prefer that route.

It's too bad the original Doom map format didn't have a flat alignment option of some sort. But most of the time it can be easily worked around. Like DooMAD suggested, manually offsetting a flat in something like PS or GIMP and then inserting it in your wad is a perfectly viable way to get around that.

Mechadon said:

It's too bad the original Doom map format didn't have a flat alignment option of some sort.

UDMF does, though, so you don't even need to use the floor/ceiling panning specials mentioned by DooMAD.

CEIL1_3 is an ugly flat anyways,but for some reason it's the default ceiling in DB2. I wounder what Adrian Carmack was thinking when he made that flat. That flat pisses me off.

Have you guys ever noticed that sometimes textures/patches were designed misaligned? Some flat textures exhibit this, as well as some of the original Doom textures (in particular, the wood/metal ones, and the gray stone blocks). I can't immediately recall others, but I know there are a good handful.

I wonder why this is...

The brick patches that must be aligned by hand piss me off. It's like they made it like so on purpose, look at it, the room's 128 units tall too!

That floor flat also. The areas with different hue are 64x64 and on the grid.

Mechadon said:

It's too bad the original Doom map format didn't have a flat alignment option of some sort. But most of the time it can be easily worked around. Like DooMAD suggested, manually offsetting a flat in something like PS or GIMP and then inserting it in your wad is a perfectly viable way to get around that.

I thought youu were using Boom which does? Manually offsetting won't be replaced by hi-res texture.

hervoheebo said:

The brick patches that must be aligned by hand piss me off. It's like they made it like so on purpose, look at it, the room's 128 units tall too!

That floor flat also. The areas with different hue are 64x64 and on the grid.

I guess one theory, and one that was sort of confirmed by Romero, is that they wanted to break free from the orthogonal grid-like layouts of Wolfenstein 3D. This may have extended to textures as well, so that rooms that did align to the grid didn't tile so neatly. I guess that's one way of looking at why those textures are like that.

tempun said:

I thought youu were using Boom which does? Manually offsetting won't be replaced by hi-res texture.

You can hack around some flat alignments with the displacement scroller actions in Boom. But I generally try my hardest to avoid that and design any flat-based decor to fit in the room as I need it. I never use hi-res textures so...I guess I never really thought about that :P

Like Gez said though, if your using UDMF or really anything more advanced than Boom, you'll have way more [easier] options to offset flats.

Processingcontrol said:

CEIL1_3 is an ugly flat anyways...

You mean CEIL1_1, don't you? CEIL1_3 is the wooden light flat...