Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Devalaous

Quake Arena Arcade is out

Havent seen any threads about it, but it was apparantly released a few hours ago

Cant buy it myself unfortunately, not enough spare funds (Thanks a lot Christmas, depriving me of day 1 purchase of an ID game) and I'm likely close to capping my bandwith too.

Anyone with an Xbox 360 care to try it out and post their thoughts and opinions? (Outside of OMG Quake on a shitty console with a controller!? HERESY!, thats just not helpful D:)

Even if I could buy it, my left thumb is freshly injured in a way that makes it unopposable >_>

I find it odd that PSN only has Wolfenstein 3D to date. Also, ehen I get this game, I'll have every Quake game except Quake 1 playable on one console in some form or other :}

From what I've seen it isn't too bad. If you've already got Quake III Arena on the PC there isn't much point to it because I think it's essentially the same thing, but it works. Plenty fast paced too, I don't think it's got a case of 30FPS lock like most console games.

Apparently it has a whole pile of exclusive stuff (But we all know it'll be ripped day 1 or something, case in point: No Rest For the Living)

I plan on trying to convince some of those Haloers to get back to Quake via this game and then to the Doom ports ;]

Well, in a sense all they'd have to do is speed up the movement speed and jump height and Halo would be relatively close to Quake in terms of gameplay just from that.

Ragnor said:

I plan on trying to convince some of those Haloers to get back to Quake via this game and then to the Doom ports ;]

Doom ports, in plural? So the Doom 1 port is available again? I'm curious, since a while ago only Doom II was there.

Oh right, forgot about that, seems to be delisted. I should inquire about that, but I tend to get ignored and stonewalled by MS' "service" except when angry threats about switching platforms due to Live's incompetence involving MS point rebates from events is involved

I have such a blast with the Quake 2 disc's multiplayer that comes with Quake 4 (complete with 9 zero point achievements which I thought was a cool touch) and so did the friends that would suffer defeat at my hands so I'm sure I can convert them.

Forgot to mention(though it's fairly common sense): It's hard as hell to hit much of anything, considering how shoddy analogue stick aiming is.

Aha, I'm infinitely unobservant and didn't see the link saying why Doom was gone. I had a suspicion it was due to Bethesda. Hopefully I wont lose my digital right to redownload it due to the "new version"

Xeros612 said:

Forgot to mention(though it's fairly common sense): It's hard as hell to hit much of anything, considering how shoddy analogue stick aiming is.

I probably wont have too many issues, unless the sensitivity is ridiculous and unadustable. I had no problems with aiming in any of ID's console ports though, so I doubt I will now

Really, really don't like it. I've played FPS games with a controller for many years, but for some reason the right stick just doesn't "feel" like the right stick, it feels like a mouse. But a mouse that's very sluggish and hard to aim with. It's also very, very slow, way to slow for my liking.

I got an XBox 360 but I don't think I'll be buying anymore games from it.

Doom for the XBox sucks ass and was a waste of money, seriously. The port is complete garbage, broken attenuation is very very bad in Doom (except for PC Speaker).

Xeros612 said:

From what I've seen it isn't too bad. If you've already got Quake III Arena on the PC there isn't much point to it because I think it's essentially the same thing, but it works. Plenty fast paced too, I don't think it's got a case of 30FPS lock like most console games.

Correction. If you have a PC that isn't absolutely anchient you can play Quake Live for free. Plus I'd like to see you do this with a console controller.

http://www.own3d.tv/video/27972/The_Contenders_2

Just performing strafejumpings alone with a controller is pretty much impossible. Making complicated movements like Bridge to rail should be ... impossible x 3.

Xeros612 said:

Well, in a sense all they'd have to do is speed up the movement speed and jump height and Halo would be relatively close to Quake in terms of gameplay just from that.

No.

Xeros612 said:

Double no.

Ralphis said:

Halo is much more fun than Quake so you're right about the double no

Well, some people with mental handicaps enjoy playing with shit, so I have no choice but to agree that Halo can be fun for the right audience.

I'll take Quake, thank you.

Halo 2 is OK but running around a multiplayer arena alone is no fun. However, despite playing on XBox Live, I played with XLink Kai and managed to kick people's asses even in their own hacked mods. I usually just took down shit loads of players with the standard weapons like Cov Carbines and Magnums.

Danarchy said:

Wat. Why would you get this when you can just get Quake Live instead?

Possibly a crap computer that it doesnt work on, preference for controllers, all kinds of things.

Supporting ID as well.

Besides,I did ask what the console version is like and how it plays. I despise browser games, and Quake 3 for PC is impossible to find (And no, piracy will not happen). With this I will have All Quakes except for 1 on my primary console

Danarchy said:

Wat. Why would you get this when you can just get Quake Live instead?

Beer chugging college kids don't know you can play video games on a computer.

Whatever, I played the PS2 Quake3 port and had no problems with aiming before I got it for PC to play online, just takes practice for those unfamiliar with controllers.

Also, I prefer to slouch in a couch for hours on end with a console, rather than sit rigid at a PC screen, but I've got both, excellent. ;p

I'd probably have gotten it if it didn't cost $15 to do so... I was expecting it'd be free tbh, especially considering Quake Live.

Ragnor said:

Quake 3 for PC is impossible to find

Is it really?

I generally don't buy things online unless its the ONLY way. Here in NZ I find Unreal Tournament by the truckload, but never its rival for example. There was a Quake trilogy I found once but had not the money, and it was gone forever next time I was there (This was also the only time in my life I had ever seen PC Quake and Quake 2 for sale. I guess the series was just not popular here till later

Ralphis said:

Halo is much more fun than Quake so you're right about the double no

Halo has the worst multiplayer I've ever seen. I sure love running at 2MPH while someone else slowly turns around and slowly drains my shields and health with the assault rifle.

Screw that. If I wanted to play as a molasses-slow damage sponge, I'd play CoD.

Halo has the worst multiplayer I've ever seen. I sure love running at 2MPH while someone else slowly turns around and slowly drains my shields and health with the assault rifle.

Most well-designed Halo maps (Ie. All of them except Blood Gulch/Coagulation) allow you to hide behind objects as you move so you don't become a sitting duck. That's also why you fight for control of vehicles and turrets. Halo isn't as much of a run-and-gun game as Doom.

Screw that. If I wanted to play as a molasses-slow damage sponge, I'd play CoD.

Really? You actually move fairly fast in CoD compared to most other modern games. Also, since when does a "damage sponge" take 3 hits to kill with most guns?

Ragnor said:

Possibly a crap computer that it doesnt work on, preference for controllers, all kinds of things.

Supporting ID as well.

Besides,I did ask what the console version is like and how it plays. I despise browser games, and Quake 3 for PC is impossible to find (And no, piracy will not happen). With this I will have All Quakes except for 1 on my primary console

Quake Live (was) is great gtfo

Wagi said: Really? You actually move fairly fast in CoD compared to most other modern games. Also, since when does a "damage sponge" take 3 hits to kill with most guns? [/B]

Back in my FPS-obsession days, I had the notion that getting shot in any form was bad, so you had to kill the other guys before they knocked your life down. Nowadays, regenerating health means that anyone can soak up bullets as long as their health doesn't hit zero.

As for speed, I don't mind slow speed when the gameplay is suitably intense (Rainbow Six).

Ragnor said:

If you have a computer that can't run Quake 3, you seriously need an upgrade.

And preference for a controller in FPSs? Double wat.