Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leiche

DooM Builder crashes instantly without a message.

I tried to start DooM builder today (haven't used it for like 3 months, did several Windows and .net updates) and it crashes with an usual Error message .

http://i.imgur.com/t48QF.png

Translated the bold text means :
"Doom Builder has experienced a problem and had to be shut down."
or something like that.

However i has been able (right english grammar ?) to gather a bit of information for it,
if anyone already knows how to fix it.

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : builder.exe P2 : 2.1.0.1356 P3 : 4c7c0a10P4 : mscorlib P5 : 2.0.0.0 P6 : 4889dc80 P7 : 343f P8 : d8P9 : system.io.filenotfoundexception

I have no idea whats going on honestly.
I'd be glad if someone can help me out.
Best Regards, Corpse.

I'm going to be utterly useless and just suggest that you try reinstalling the latest version of Doom Builder.

.NET said:

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : builder.exe P2 : 2.1.0.1356 P3 : 4c7c0a10P4 : mscorlib P5 : 2.0.0.0 P6 : 4889dc80 P7 : 343f P8 : d8P9 : system.io.filenotfoundexception

It's basically a "file not found" error, though non-programmers like myself aren't supposed to know that. A browse through these forums might help and if all else fails try running a registry cleaner - on the off-chance the problem's a damaged file link.

GreyGhost said:

if all else fails try running a registry cleaner - on the off-chance the problem's a damaged file link.

Well i did that, and got this

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : builder.exe P2 : 2.1.0.1356 P3 : 4c7c0a10
P4 : system.drawing P5 : 2.0.0.0 P6 : 4889dec2 P7 : 7af P8 : 6c
P9 : system.argumentexception

From the original image, it seems, that you have all the files which are
included in the installation setup. Possibly, a file may be corrupted.
As Creaphis suggested, reinstall DB2.

From this
EventType : clr20r3 P1 : builder.exe P2 : 2.1.0.1356 P3 : 4c7c0a10
I deduce that you are trying to run DB2_r1356.
Have a look here http://svn.drdteam.org/doombuilder2/
and download/install the latest SVN version. A file has been added, Builder.xml,
which should make the installation more stable. And, if you are mapping for
the ZDoom/GZDoom/Skulltag ports, download Gez's configurations.

If you are mapping for GZDoom, then I suggest to stick with r1416, as the
versions r1427 and r1429 have an annoying texture offset problem in the
GZDoom 3D preview plugin.

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : builder.exe P2 : 2.1.0.0 P3 : 4c948b2d
P4 : system.drawing P5 : 2.0.0.0 P6 : 4889dec2 P7 : 7af P8 : 6c
P9 : system.argumentexception

Reinstalling the latest stable didn't work.
And the nightly builds dont work either.
I dont know whats going on.

I am quickly running out of ideas.

1. Just for comparison, here is an image of my folder

Since DB2 includes checksum checking, I don't think that yours will be different.

2. Ordinarily DB2 writes a Builder.log file.
For Windows 7 it is in C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Doom Builder and for earlier Windows versions somewhere in Documents and Settings. Hopefully it tried to write at least a stub of a file, so we can find out how far the installation process went.

3. As to specs, the Gigabyte 8500 may be a bit lacking, as DB2 needs to have support for at least Pixel Shader 2.0. If you could get hold of a newer video card, maybe borrow one from a friend, that would tell for certain.
Or installing the latest NVIDIA drivers might help.

4. Disable the antivirus program when installing DB2.

5. Just a cautionary note:
Delete your spec report. The Summary is all one needs.

The 8500 supports Shader model 4, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Leiche said:

Yes i have SlimDX and the .net Framework installed, and the builder.xml is existant too.
Aaaaand here are my specs : http://pastebin.com/BqFP5Q2n

Your system should be more than adequate for the job. Apart from updating your video drivers the only possible issue I can see is the mix of 333 and 400MHz RAM modules, while it mightn't have any bearing on the current problem you could try removing the 400MHz module from Slot 2 and see if that makes a difference.

Just downloaded the newest driver from Nvidia.
I still have the same issue.
Maybe my .net installation is broken (altough i reinstalled it three times now >:C)

Two more thoughts:

1a. You have 3 memory modules in your computer, different manufacturers, different sizes, different speeds. In a case like that, the computer should be adjusted to the slowest speed memory.

Ordinarily, computer memory is installed in groups of two or four matched modules. An uneven number of modules can easily invite problems.

Did you try GreyGhost's suggestion of removing the two 1 GB modules in slot2 and slot3 ?

If that does solve the problem, great, if not go to

1b.. Download the Memtest86+ iso image and run it from a CD for maybe 4 hours. That way the test will have gone through a few cycles to show a representative result.

2. Doing a Google search for EventType : clr20r3 brings up mention of a problem with .NET 2.0.
I guess the best way to handle a new installation of .NET framework is to uninstall previous versions and then run a registry cleaner. After that let Microsoft update do the new install.

Hi Leiche,
Please have a look for (or maybe just search for builder.log):

C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Doom Builder\Builder.log

Edit: or whatever is the equivalent on your PC.

If it exists it may have some info about your problem.

No Builder.log existant.
Not even the folder is there.
It seems to crash even before it can write the log.
Deinstalling .net installation now.

Edit:
*sigh* Kappes your solution with reinstalling .net didn't work either.
I am getting the same event error again.

If Paint.net works OK we might be able to rule out .NET as the source of the problem, that leaves Doom Builder, SlimDX and possibly your RAM. I'm on my laptop and unable to check the version of SlimDX that comes with Doom Builder, if it's not the June 2010 release you can try updating to that and if you're really determined - test it with the demo version of this game. The memory (and the way it's installed) is also worth checking.

Kappes Buur said:

Download the Memtest86+ iso image and run it from a CD for maybe 4 hours.

Memtest is good and leaving it running overnight is better, though that didn't help my old PC which simply refused to play nice with more than 512MB installed due to some weird hardware bug in the motherboard.

It seems my complete system was broken.
After formatting C:\ and installing a new OS, it works again.
Thanks for the help anyways people :D