Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Speed of Doom

New and improved poll: My balogna has a first name, it's...  

26 members have voted

1. 1. New and improved poll: My balogna has a first name, it's...

• O-S-C-A-R
    • M-A-Y-E-R

Joshy said:

:-( I am extremely sorry this ever happened. I am going to make up for this by making two more megawads!!! :P

Works for me! :-D

Joshy said:

And you're saying this now because?

It is unfortunate that the entire community cannot test your wad before its release, but he's found a bug and is thus reporting it like any good citizen should. Even if you decide it's too late for a fix, you should be thanking him. I hope your snarky response does not discourage him from further bug reporting.

In fact as it happens I'd like to thank him for his report, because I just checked the map to confirm it, and found three bad linedefs, but with completely different numbers. This led me to realise PrBoom's been reporting the wrong numbers for this type of error for quite some time... Who knows how much longer it would have gone unnoticed.

RjY said:

It is unfortunate that the entire community cannot test your wad before its release, but he's found a bug and is thus reporting it like any good citizen should. Even if you decide it's too late for a fix, you should be thanking him. I hope your snarky response does not discourage him from further bug reporting.

In fact as it happens I'd like to thank him for his report, because I just checked the map to confirm it, and found three bad linedefs, but with completely different numbers. This led me to realise PrBoom's been reporting the wrong numbers for this type of error for quite some time... Who knows how much longer it would have gone unnoticed.

I think you may have interpreted what I said wrongly, or I did not choose a more appropriate response. This isn't a bug reporting thread; I felt his response was quite out of context so I was not sure whether if he was being a smartarse with the last sentence (I thought it was unnecessary and implied something else apart from the 'bug report' itself like what an ignorant fool I was). Otherwise it may have been a blunt statement. Still, it was better than saying fuck you. Please don't ever assume I'd sling shit at anyone here, especially to those who are kind enough to provide helpful assistance and information. The heart of Speed of Doom was the wonderful support people of this community gave, not just because we made the maps in the first place.

As helpful as bug reports can be, the chances of anyone jumping onto that alcove is very slim; jumping is disabled for all ports so the importance of fixing this bug is low. I appreciate the report but it's unfortunate it wasn't reported last year. :-)

Well, earlier this year I ran into an extremely buggy WAD (YELLOW.WAD) that had literally hundreds of single-sided linedefs with the double-sided flag set. Shooting certain walls crashed every port I tried it with - from Doom95 to ZDoom. The WAD had no TXT file, so there's no telling what editor it was made with, but the file's timestamp places it in summer 1994.

Then I came across another WAD (CHALLENJ) with such linedefs where TGH's demo, recorded in vanilla, desynced in prB+ - a most unusual occurrence. This, too, is a 1994 WAD and it was made with DEU. The TXT file doesn't specify DEU's version but the time stamp (May 3 1994) points to v5.10 (i.e. the second DEU release that allowed building levels from scratch) at the latest.
Reporting these two led to the MISSEDBACKSIDE overflow workaround being implemented in prB+. In fact, by the time I investigated skepticist's complaint that SOD23 crashed on him every time, found that again the culprit was single-sided linedefs with the double-sided flag set and reported it to entryway, it turned out that he had already quietly fixed it while taking care of yet another bug report.

As a WAD archaeologist I'd been wondering ever since how one goes about replicating such esoteric 1994-era bugs in a 2010 WAD, using Doom Builder 2. Saw this thread, remembered, posted. That's all there's to it.

Now imagine how far prB+ would advance if entryway replied to those bug reports with "And you're saying this now because?" (Who cares about some 16-year old WADs nobody ever heard of?). SOD23 would still be broken in prB+ today. But I guess you have a dozen posts in this thread and a Cacoward to prove that's not very important now.

RjY said:

Good catch. I actually had the numbers from DB2 in the original edition of the post, then peeked into prB+'s stdout.txt to double copy&paste "MISSEDBACKSIDE", noticed that the numbers were considerably lower there, thought I got DB2's sidedef numbers by mistake and "corrected" them. ;)

Never_Again said:

As a WAD archaeologist I'd been wondering ever since how one goes about replicating such esoteric 1994-era bugs in a 2010 WAD, using Doom Builder 2. Saw this thread, remembered, posted. That's all there's to it.

The reason why I said 'and you're saying this now because' was not because I was being sarcastic, but I wanted clarification. Obviously you've clarified so thanks for that. Yeah, it was unlucky I had missed it. Just the matter of somehow not using the error checker when I usually do. Just a blatant stupid mistake. I think it is quite lucky that prboom/plus is the port requirement and that bug is rendered as nothing but a harmless fly (phew!). Yeah, not important now.

Never_Again said:

Well, earlier this year I ran into an extremely buggy WAD (YELLOW.WAD) that had literally hundreds of single-sided linedefs with the double-sided flag set.

I remember some old maps with those in, they were a pain to put into compilations because they screwed up when edited (to change the ExMx slot).

Joshy, so how's a Speed of DooM 2 looking? I need more wads that play like this. :P

It took you a year to make the first edition, and now another year has passed so there's a Christmas present waiting for me next time I log onto idgames amirite? :)

DeathevokatioN said:

Joshy, so how's a Speed of DooM 2 looking? I need more wads that play like this. :P

It took you a year to make the first edition, and now another year has passed so there's a Christmas present waiting for me next time I log onto idgames amirite? :)

Speed of Doom 2 is looking very unlikely. :-( My creative flow isn't doing too well, and even if it was, I don't have that commitment for the time being either, especially when 2011 will be a year of working hard. I think it's also very hard for myself to produce another consistent mapset like SoD...

On the bright side, I'll be attempting to make some maps. Maybe a small mapset or two and some community projects here and there; these maps shan't be so different to SoD ;-). After these maps, that might be enough mapping for me.

thats okay joshy, UAC Ultra 2 would kick Speed Of Doom 2's ass anyway.

40oz said:

thats okay joshy, UAC Ultra 2 would kick Speed Of Doom 2's ass anyway.

Is that a challenge? :P

This thread made me revisit SoD again, so I've blasted my way up to Map13. I'm enjoying most of the levels a lot more on my second time around (probably because I'm getting better at DooM). Gameplay and architecture are pure sex for me. I'm not really a fan of Heretic music in DooM though, it sounds very out of place IMO... unless... maybe your making a level that aims to bring forth the Heretic spirit into DooM. Anyway... Lucifers Tears better watch out, because I'm about to make it my bitch. ;)