Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

Lunar Eclipse

Once every three hundred odd years the earth eclipses in such as way as to cover the moon. It's 4:07am and the eclipse just started to finish. I was waiting in the cold since 1:30am and it was worth it. Of course every twenty minutes or so I went back in to worm my toes.

So where were you faggots?

Mechadon said:

I stayed up to see it only to find that the clouds were blocking it.

:[

Mechadon said:

I stayed up to see it only to find that the clouds were blocking it.

Technician said:

Once every three hundred odd years the earth eclipses in such as way as to cover the moon. It's 4:07am and the eclipse just started to finish. I was waiting in the cold since 1:30am and it was worth it. Of course every twenty minutes or so I went back in to worm my toes.

Every 300 years? Pretty sure I'm not that old and I've seen a couple of them. :p

Technician said:

Once every three hundred odd years

They occur a little more often than that. The significance of this eclipse is that it's the first to coincide with the Northern Winter Solstice in 372 years.

Staying inside where it's warm. Assuming there's a gap in the cloud cover - the eclipse will be all but over by the time the moon rises here in Oz. :[

I saw the whole thing in various stages. I was at work, so pretty much every time I went outside for whatever reason, I saw a different view.

The Mass skyline was all clouds. I mad, especially since I caught Halley's comet way back when.

It was past 2:00 am and the eclipse was just starting. To tired to wait around for the show, had to sleep. Maybe next time.

Heh, I didn't know there was an eclipse happening. But I'm sure if I stayed up I would only find that clouds were blocking it.

Technician said:

Of course every twenty minutes or so I went back in to worm my toes.

That sounds disgusting.

Technician said:

In Sweden.

It was pitch black outside last night on account of the eclipse and all the clouds obscuring it.

Huh, sounds like Northern Ontario had he best conditions for the event. We did have some light clouds but not enough to obscure the moon totally. The moon did become obstructed around 3:30 to 4:00 so the actual full eclipse was obscured but at around 4:10 the sky was clear as a bell.

It was pretty cloudy here as well, but early on, I was able to see the beginnings of the eclipse at around 1:30, local time. It was pretty nice to see, for what I saw, but when I went back out at 3:30ish, there were just too many clouds. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed.

It was too cold to go sit out for hours watching it, I did go out for a little bit to check on it every 20 or so minutes. It was extremely bright like an LED light before it happened, then the moon faded to a partially covered light, then was just and orangey-brown color, almost like a planet just sitting in the sky, not bright or looking illuminated by anything. It was a pretty cool sight but I was bothered by the fact that I didn't hear any mention of it until like a half hour before it was happening. It felt like a pretty big deal but I don't recall anybody saying anything the whole day.

40oz said:

It felt like a pretty big deal but I don't recall anybody saying anything the whole day.

Yeah, me too. I had just found out about it not to long beforehand. I wished someone would have mentioned something before that.

I watched it off and on almost the whole time, and luckily there were no obscuring clouds (I also found out about it earlier last night). Usually I just watched it from near my front door, but once I decided to walk down the road for a slightly better view, a cop drove past with a long-range light (shining it around in the woods), went to the end of the road and came back. They stopped and asked what I was doing out at 3 in the morning and I told them I was just watching the eclipse, and they seemed ok with that. But my road is a relatively short side road, so I assume a neighbor must've seen me outside and called the cops - I don't know what else THEY would be doing there at 3 in the morning. I find it disturbing to think that others find it disturbing to be awake or outside past midnight, as if it is an inherently bad/strange thing to do.

Lunar eclipses are so unimpressive that unless you're told there's one in progress, you're unlikely to notice. Similarly with partial sun eclipses.

I couldn't be bothered to stay up. If someone could notify me the next time a lunar eclipse occurs during the day, I'll definitely watch.