Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leiche

Doom Builder and .pk3 files

Just a really quick question this time :
Can doom builder 2 read .wads that are packaged in one .pk3 file ?

DB2 can read both Pk3 files and WAD. (Wad files only was with DB1)
As for WADs within a pk3, I'm not sure. give it a try!

To be more precise, DB2 can read resources from a pk3 file, but it cannot open maps from them. (The reason being that then it would have to be able to write PK3 files so as to save the maps.)

Also, DB2's zip functionality is limited to store and deflate. There are more protocols than that, so you can find PK3s that DB2 is unable to open. The ROTT TC demo that was posted recently is an example.

Gez said:

Also, DB2's zip functionality is limited to store and deflate. There are more protocols than that, so you can find PK3s that DB2 is unable to open. The ROTT TC demo that was posted recently is an example.

As far as I'm concerned, something that uses compression algorithms newer than deflate isn't ZIP. Why add new algorithms to that ancient format? It doesn't even support solid compression or recovery information.
Store & deflate in ZIP is a de facto standard.

Gez said:

Protocols like shrunk or implode aren't newer than deflate...

Yes, but this is a non-issue. How much files have you seen that _do_ use it? Something from 1993 and earlier?

tempun said:

As far as I'm concerned, something that uses compression algorithms newer than deflate isn't ZIP. Why add new algorithms to that ancient format? It doesn't even support solid compression or recovery information.

Since these are official formats your opinion is not relevant. The new algorithms were added by the format's official maintainers.

tempun said:

Yes, but this is a non-issue. How much files have you seen that _do_ use it? Something from 1993 and earlier?

The latest one using Implode in /idgames is from 2004. Some people seem to have used such older tools for longer than you might think and there are quite a few such files to be found in the archive.

The bottom line is: Most Zip implementations are broken by default, apparently because its makers have the same limited view as you. They don't support all compression formats and worse, the vast majority of them can't even be expanded to do so.

Aside from the almost unreadable Info-Zip code ZDoom has by far the most complete Zip decompressor I know of, supporting Shrink, Implode, Deflate, BZip and LZMA.