Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tetzlaff

High tech armor (one for the realism freaks)

Here is an interesting small article about plans for a new high tech uniform:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2002/03/14/army-uniform.htm

OK, now I don´t want to hear no "it should be more realistic" suggestions anymore. There is no reason to cripple the basics of the original Doom / Quake gameplay with things like: slow player movement, less jumping, carrying only 3 weapons, stamina, bleeding to death when shot etc. etc. ...

With that theoretical background, you realism freaks can have your pseudo-technical explanations why the Doom spacemarine can run so fast, why the Quake guy jumps so crazy and how medikits could work. And we all can have good, fun action heavy gameplay for the new Doom. I hope you get my point ;)

I don´t know much about stuff like this...

Exoskeletons, do they work like robotic enhancements of your body? It goes with the movements of your body and multiples the power?

Read Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein for a brief but very good overview of powered armor. Basically, the inner "skin" of the armor is covered in pressure plates that read the movement of your body, and make the suit copy your actions and amplify your strength. I believe the term used was "negative feedback."

[B]I don´t know much about stuff like this...

Exoskeletons, do they work like robotic enhancements of your body? It goes with the movements of your body and multiples the power?

I don't know much about this either =]

An exoskeleton is a metal "skeleton" with motors and other enhancements, which you wear (it's external - so outside your body, of course).

Exoskeletons can supposedly make you run twice as fast as other humans... among other things.

Has it ocurred to anyone else here that the US Army is going nuts lately ? They're mounting laser death rays on C-130 transport planes, they're conducting research on battle robots and portable laser weapons, and now they're developing this freaky new armor.

Doom is set 700 years into the future. If there are any armies left by then, I have no idea what the hell they would be wearing and carrying. Definetly not a double-barelled farmer's shotgun, that's for sure.

Originally posted by FlatHead
Doom is set 700 years into the future.

How the fuck do you know that??? The Doom Bible???

No idea. I've heard deadnail mention a specific year a couple times but I don't know where he got it from exactly. But hey, in deadnail we trust.

Well, I guess I'm a heretic then, 'cause I don't trust deady.
700 years????
Do you have any idea HOW fast technology developes?
In 700 years mankind would have created machines performing things which would look like pure magic to us.

Originally posted by dsm

In 700 years mankind would have created machines performing things which would look like pure magic to us.

In 700 years *machines* probably will be oldfashioned remains of the past, and humankind is working on completely other...things :)

In 700 years mankind have probably been genetically enhanced so that they can use some sort of psychic powers to carry out things that machines do now.

150 years, no more than that IMO.

Oh Flathead, did you heard about the new sheep/spider mutants they're using to manufacture spider silk, wich is supposedly 3 times stronger than steel?

Yeah, the US Army is going nuts lately.

Sheep/Spiders, what the Hell?

...Ok, I just had this vision of an Eight-legged sheep devouring the remains of some other unfortunate farm animal. o_O

Thanks a lot, I think I'm gonna have nightmares tonight. =P

BTW, yeah I think I heard something about the military experimenting with chemical lasers on transport planes or some shit. The crazy thing about that is you can have the "business end" of the weapon just be a dome containing a rotating lens, so you don't even have to point the nose th eplane at something to vaporize it...creepy^.^

As cool as an eight-legged carnivorous/poisonous death-sheep would be, this critter is just a regular sheep shot up with spider DNA. It then produces some silk molecules in its milk. If they can get this crap into a refinable form, quilted silk armor could make Kevlar and a lot of low-power ammo obsolete... at least, that's what they're hoping.

Food for thought: Even the best bullet-proof vests won't stop a knife. Ask the kid whose buddy wanted to show off his new vest and had himself stabbed.

Kevlar only protects against shrapnel it's useless against bullets.
A kevlar helmet can easily be cracked open by a bullet.

For a proper bulletproof vest you need hardened stell or something - I don't know what material is used for bulletproof vests, but I do know that kevlar vests are only used as flak jackets, protection against shrapnel.

Originally posted by Zaldron
5 cm? That would be tank armor.

yeah, and a flat mariné.

700 years from now, there will be no need for armor. Humans will be built of some extremely powerful material.

I'm quite sure.

Yeah it's quite evident that sooner or later we won't need accesories to enhance our activities.

Yeah, we wont even need clothes because by then we can create a hallucination which makes it seem that we ARE wearing clothes :-P

Actually why would we want to look like if we had clothes? Our bodies will be perfect, and there would be no stupid taboos.

uhm, the thickness of the kevlar should make a difference too... if you have a 10cm thick kevlar suit I am quite sure that it would stop bullets.

And AFAIK the normal "bulletproof" vests only stop shrapnel and lighter caliber bullets, like 9mm. While fast rifle bullets like 5.56mm and 7.62mm will penetrate.

Hmm, wearing a 10 cm thick kevlar vest would make it rather difficult to move I think.

Originally posted by Fredrik
Heh, soldiers should be inside things like these, but made of 25cm thick kevlar =P

/Me looks at pic in less than one sec.
Nah. I think no not. - Ooh look, target practice *blam* *blam*