Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bishop

Does this look like crap?

I'm trying to make a downward extension to the plasma rifle (held upwards) without doomguy's hand. Here's what I mean:

(the red arrow shows where it was originaly cut off)

I'm doing this in hopes to create reload frames for this weapon. It's a pain in the ass just to make it look good, so I'm asking if anyone thinks it's even worth the effort. I'm not even sure what to put below what I already did.

However if there is already an existing version of what I'm trying to do, it'd be helpfull. I did find sprite extensions for the shotgun in a Beta version of Doom, but not the Plasma rifle... bummer.

"Restoring" the original weapon sprites is an interesting idea. What you have so far looks great; keep it up!

You know what would be cool? Extending all of the weapons a bit more and then shrinking the resolution of the weapon's appearance on the hud. It would obviously not look good at the classic 320x240 setup, but in any high resolution mode, you could just scale the weapon a bit, and the extra area of each weapon wouldn't crowd the screen. As far down as human vision can see, it might be interesting to extend it quite a bit further, where the player's arms are visible on every weapon. Hell, I could do it, I probably have enouhg pixel skills.

@GoatLord: Wasn't really planning on doing all that. I could be cool but will be an undescribable amount of effort...

hervoheebo said:

I wouldn't have noticed there was an addition had you not pointed it out.

Technician said:

I didn't even notice until you mentioned the hand.

That's the idea. Making it look like it's an Id Software original.
Anyway, after hours of "pain-in-the-ass" this is what I came up with so far:

Could be better, could be worse. (Not sure if I can do any better than that) Probably as far as I really need to go. It's roughly inspired by the actual Plasma Rifle spawn sprite.
Thanks for all the feedback.

Oh, snap! That's completely and totally not bad at all. ;)

Gives me an idea for something, actually...

Looks really good, I'd have to see how it looks in game but I'd give the whole extension a 9/10 on a scale of epic fail to flawless victory.

Xaser said:

Gives me an idea for something, actually...

Floating guns that think for themselves?

Ok! that's pretty much all I needed to know. That's more extension than I needed anyway since I'm still cutting it ~50px from the bottom.

If anyone would want to use this one for any reason, knock yourself out! I'll keep it here as a resource.

Thanks for the feedback.