Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

I want it to be straight up old school. Completely, with exception of the graphics of course. Disregard ALL current FPS trends, no innovations, nothing, no cutscenes, just old school run and gun, look for key, balls to the wall arcade action.

Well ok, it could have cutscenes. But only at the end of every episode(not level) like the original. I want it to be a remix of Classic Doom. New demon designs but...I want id to make this game with the mindset to try and pander to the original Doom audience, keep them and ONLY them in mind. I guess what I'm trying to say is, make it feel like DOOM. That's probably impossible because so much has changed over the last 20 years but, just make it a video game, forget about realism. Ok I'm rambling.

Doom 4 should be a lot like Doom 2, the only thing I would consider adding is maybe other then just one marine running around fighting Hell. Because let's all be serious, what can make Doom more intense? Answer being - other people running around screaming with bullets flying left and right. Less storyline, but just a notch more then Doom 2, and of course... Plenty of explosions. Others might not agree with my Marine idea, that might be just me, I always have to be a protagonist / hero when it comes to humanity-on-the-brink-of-extinction type games. Everytime I find a survivor, I feel the need to keep them alive as long as possible, as a personal objective.

One thing I hope Doom would never include, is operatable vehicles, that goes against Doom law. Sure I wouldn't mind the ocassional dropship picking the player up or dropping him off, but never any tanks or jeeps, maybe exploding cars but thats it.

Lastly, I would give extra thumbs up to ID if they could incorporate the original Doom 3 heroes (including the expansion marine) maybe not as people who fight along side you but if you get like hints of "Two marines who survived the hell on mars" that would be interesting to see throughout the game. And since Dr.McNeill isn't really dead, I think it would look cool to see her playing a role in the fight on Earth.

Well, from what I've heard, DooM 4 is not supposed to be a sequel to DooM 3, or a reboot of the series. If that's the case, then there would be no mentioning of the DooM 3 Mars invasion.

EmZee712 said:

Doom 4 should be a lot like Doom 2, the only thing I would consider adding is maybe other then just one marine running around fighting Hell. Because let's all be serious, what can make Doom more intense? Answer being - other people running around screaming with bullets flying left and right. Less storyline, but just a notch more then Doom 2, and of course... Plenty of explosions. Others might not agree with my Marine idea, that might be just me, I always have to be a protagonist / hero when it comes to humanity-on-the-brink-of-extinction type games. Everytime I find a survivor, I feel the need to keep them alive as long as possible, as a personal objective.

I think I would hate this. I think one of the things that's cool about Doom is the "You vs. Everything Else" feeling of total isolation and dread...doom, if you will. I think that having comrades of any kind would crimp that atmosphere too much. Even playing coop makes the game a lot less suspenseful for me (although it's still fun.)

PRIMEVAL said:

Well, from what I've heard, DooM 4 is not supposed to be a sequel to DooM 3, or a reboot of the series. If that's the case, then there would be no mentioning of the DooM 3 Mars invasion.

So its a sequel to Doom2 or Final Doom? Like how Q4 was a sequel to Q2? That actually would be nice. Or is that in the category of reboot?

Clonehunter said:

So its a sequel to Doom2 or Final Doom? Like how Q4 was a sequel to Q2? That actually would be nice. Or is that in the category of reboot?

I think that's most likely what's gonna happen, sequel to DooM II or Final Doom. Or it could be a prequel to any of the original ones as well.

In that case, I smell a return to Phobos as a re-take our base type game. Or probably attacking Hell at it's main source, eh who truly knows?

I wonder if it will be "Hell on Earth". I was thinking that in 2145 Earth wouldn't be too different from Mars, right?

I think the game Rage and Doom 4 are one in the same. That's my theory. id says Rage and Doom 4 are being worked on at the same time. And they also said the second half of Rage is significantly different than the first half. Doom 4 also is said to take place on Earth. Me thinks the second half of the game, the demons from hell break through to the surface and take over an already nearly demolished human species. id did say the second half of the game is going to be a SURPRISE for the fans. Just an observation.

Well, here are my ideas for doom 4.

On Earth, levels should take place in eerie areas such as Hunting Island (Beufort SC) for its eroded ground exposing roots and random dead trees and always being foggy (reminds me of town infection as well silent hill)

Lake Marian (SC some where) for being foggy, and having dead trees growing out in the middle of some massive lake and it being a very wooded area (reminds of Hexen also, and with a hint of BLOOD)

In the middle of some random field, mountainous in the backgroud, with some creepy ol' barn thats practically falling apart. Its funny how common places like that are.

Any abandoned city (preferably a small one, not like NY or any other huge city) And some creepy beach with some condos and a large dock or marina.

NOW FOR MONSTERS:

What I had in mind a long time ago was this

On Earth levels (assuming its on Earth) demons will look as they did in DOOM 3, but instead have death animations. That my friends, would be cool.

In HELL they look like modernized versions of DOOM 2 enemies.

We will also need new demons, and I hope ID looks at some other peoples mods (realm667 especially) to get ideas for weapons, maps, and monsters.

I really dont wanna see any staged BS in this game like there is in Modern Warfail 2. I want it to feel like an amped-up version of DOOM 2 if anything. I really hope ID doesnt change the formula.

I want this game to feel like the old games felt. Classic, moody, creepy. I want to see elements of quake, BLOOD, heretic, doom (ofcourse) duke nukem, hexen thrown in it.

If ID does all this, DOOM 4 would be...heavenly? Is that a good way to describe it?

Clonehunter said:

Doom 4 will be a sequel to Doom2 or FDoom probably just like Quake 4 was actually a true sequel to Quake 2

nah, remake would be better. DOOM 2 cant be "sequeled" because killing the Icon of Sin ended the invasion.

It'd just be bad luck or terrible story telling if demons found a new way...

or revalation could start and it could be the "fortold" apocalypse and the fight between angels and demons.

But that'd suck, then it'd be too much like FEAR or something.

Oh, haha, you know what would be cool? Two maps from wolfenstein, but with the new wolfenstein enemies. That'd be fun.

A common enemy in Doom 4 called the Gatekeeper, that would resemble the Bruiser from Doom 3 in temper and size would be great.

Or even the Bruiser itself should make a return. It was underused in Doom 3 RoE.

Seeing as it's to be set on Earth, I imagine there might be a fair few followers among men who have sold themselves over to the forces of Hell. These humans would wear ceremonial goat masks or something, and tot shotguns or advanced weaponry such as plasma rifles. Hell drives a hard bargain of course, and their skin would be mutilated, flayed and charred, held mostly in place with the same biomechanical implants that are the trademark of the common hellspawn.

What I want to see in Doom 4:

-Emotion on the Doomguy's part: that is, not crying and wimpering emotion, but anger and hatred towards the demons, and a love for justice! To do this right, the audience will have to see doomguy's face a lot. Either give the game some cinematics (which would be cool IF done properly) or put the doomguy's face at the bottom of the screen like the old games.

-Big guns! (I'm not sure about reloading, that makes the game more of a tactical-horror-whatever game like Doom 3 which I, for one, do not want)

-Fast movement speed!

-Big levels like Downtown, Industrial Zone, and the Citadel!

-B-Movie horror elements: let the shotgun-toting doomguy loose in a suburb infested with zombies hovering around burning barrels and skull-kebabs! GARBAGE DAY!

-Multiplayer: allow monsters! Half the fun I got with the old doom was running around levels like Industrial Zone, trying very very hard not to get stuck face to face with my brothers... Or the cyberdemon!

-Hardcore heavy metal music for the romp levels... and ambient tracks for the spooky/dark ones.

-Yeah, about dark levels: doom has darkness. Diminishing lighting was one of the old doom's big graphical features, and we can't throw that out the window. Certainly there should be huge, mostly bright levels like Industrial Zone, but there should also be a few dark, crypt like levels like the Gauntlet or Monster Condo (which scared me to death as a 5 year old).

-Vehicles: meh. If you throw vehicles into Doom, it becomes Unreal Tournament. We're not making Battlefield: Doom Edition for pete's sake!

-One final thing: make the weapons well rounded, give each their own use. In the original doom I find myself using all the weapons all the time. In doom 3, for the entire game I used a shotgun/plasma gun combo. Come on, id... If the weapon's not useful, either balance the other weapons so that it is or remove it all together!

EDIT: As contrast, Doom3 was a disappointment to me. It was too long and tried too hard to be scary (it was for the first five minutes. Then it wasn't). It had too many useless weapons. It had little-to-no b-movie horror elements. It had a pathetic multiplayer mode. It had an excuse for a doomguy; he was a total wimp who changed his usually blank expression maybe twice throughout the entire game. It's levels were way too dark and cramped for way too long. It had no music. And one of its biggest mistakes, in my mind, was that it tried to have a big plot when one clearly didn't exist.

You CAN do better, id. You have a wonderful, wonderful engine at your hands. Make something truly FUN with it!

StupidBunny said:

I think I would hate this. I think one of the things that's cool about Doom is the "You vs. Everything Else" feeling of total isolation and dread...doom, if you will. I think that having comrades of any kind would crimp that atmosphere too much. Even playing coop makes the game a lot less suspenseful for me (although it's still fun.)

Maybe a handful or so of doom marines, but with more than 10, its just sraight halo or call of duty but with demons.

I want mod support on my PS3, im sure it can be done with addons.

Redeemer812 said:

What I want to see in Doom 4:

-Emotion on the Doomguy's part: that is, not crying and wimpering emotion, but anger and hatred towards the demons, and a love for justice! To do this right, the audience will have to see doomguy's face a lot. Either give the game some cinematics (which would be cool IF done properly) or put the doomguy's face at the bottom of the screen like the old games.

-Big guns! (I'm not sure about reloading, that makes the game more of a tactical-horror-whatever game like Doom 3 which I, for one, do not want)

Emotion would certainly be nice from the marine, something other than occasionally going when he sees something in a cutscene.

But honestly? Reloading would turn it into a tactical game? That's just asinine.

@yellowmadness
Good luck with that. I doubt Sony's going to have any mod support on their system. especially after the fiasco it's going through right now.

Clonehunter said:

Um, Doom 2 was sequeled. It's called Final Doom. Two more Mega Demons are here, called the Gatekeeper and the Bephomat.

Final doom is not a sequel its an expansion.

Still, it continued the stroy with the same character. In retrospect, Doom 64 can be called a sequel too. IF IT CONTINUES THE STORY, IT IS A SEQUEL. EXPANSION PACK IS JUST A TERM FOR EXTRA CONTENT THAT YOU NEED ALL OF THE OTHER GAME FOR.

Clonehunter said:

Still, it continued the stroy with the same character. In retrospect, Doom 64 can be called a sequel too. IF IT CONTINUES THE STORY, IT IS A SEQUEL. EXPANSION PACK IS JUST A TERM FOR EXTRA CONTENT THAT YOU NEED ALL OF THE OTHER GAME FOR.

no, it did not continue the story and only had relating monsters and characters.

DOOM 2 cant be sequeled, the invasion was ended.

In final doom they had another icon of sin level, do you think a sequel would really contain the same ending?

DOOM64 cant be a sequel to doom2 because it takes place on phobos still. If anything, its a remake of doom.

SO what if it takes place on Phobos? It was never destroyed in the first place. Only Diemos. In Doom 2, just because the Icon of Sin was killed and that invasion stopped, doesn't mean that the demons wouldn't try another one (TNT), or open up there own teleporters (Plutonia).

ALso, Final Doom is more or less a sequel as it runs by its own, or at least it does on PSX and Collector's Doom.

Also, those aren't two more Icon of Sins, they are two similar monsters called the Baphomet and The Gatekeeper.

Clonehunter said:

SO what if it takes place on Phobos? It was never destroyed in the first place. Only Diemos. In Doom 2, just because the Icon of Sin was killed and that invasion stopped, doesn't mean that the demons wouldn't try another one (TNT), or open up there own teleporters (Plutonia).

ALso, Final Doom is more or less a sequel as it runs by its own, or at least it does on PSX and Collector's Doom.

Also, those aren't two more Icon of Sins, they are two similar monsters called the Baphomet and The Gatekeeper.

EDIT: I also like to note how you pointed out The Gatekeeper and Bephomat as being up coming DOOM4 enemies because they were in the expansion. Just stop dude you are entirely wrong.

look, I can play counter troll over this all day, but Final Doom is in NO WAY a sequel to DOOM 2, its just a few released WADs from teamTNT.

And yes it matters that doom64 is on phobos, because WHY would doom marine have the sudden desire to go back?

Infact, I think deimos is even also in doom 64 as well, I'll have to check.

The Doom 64 manual said:

"Your fatigue was enormous, the price for encountering pure evil. Hell was a place no mortal was meant to experience. Stupid military doctors: their tests and treatments, were of little help. In the end, what did it matter - it was all classified and sealed. The nightmares continued. Demons, so many Demons; relentless, pouring through.

Far Away...

The planetary policy was clear. An absolute quarantine was guaranteed by apocalyptic levels of radiation. The empty dark corridors stand motionless, abandoned. The installations sealed.

The Present...

A long forgotten relay satellite barely executing, decayed by years of bombarding neutrons, activates and sends its final message to Earth. The satellites message was horrific, from the planetary void there came energy signatures unlike anything sampled before.

The classified archives are opened. The military episodes code named "DOOM" were not actually completed. A single entity with vast rejuvenation powers, masked by the extreme radiation levels, escaped detection. In its crippled state, it systematically altered decaying dead carnage back into corrupted living tissue.

The mutations are devastating. The Demons have returned even stronger and more vicious than before. As the only experienced survivor of the DOOM episode, your commission is re-activated. Your assignment is clear: MERCILESS EXTERMINATION."

The Phobos gate was never closed, and the Mother Demon came through.

Coopersville said:

The Phobos gate was never closed, and the Mother Demon came through.

you also have to take in the fact midway was behind the storyline as well.

It doesn't flow with the plot properly. Its a spin off.

And final doom is an expansion.

The Doom Wiki says it's the sequel, thus considered by many to be so. It's an objective irrefutable fact, and any attempt to demonstrate otherwise would just be mere non-science.