Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Microsoft rips me off yet again.

Also Virtual PC is crap with no 3D acceleration, snapshots or proper USB support. It's OK for simple applications though.

Xeros612 said:

I'm sure you've gotten less than 7 viruses in 16 years, right. Going to tell me your dad works at microsoft next?

As Belial and AndrewB have already illustrated WindowsXP is easy to keep completely virus free, sorry if that is difficult for you to understand. Yeah I know, bummer right? I mean this whole time, did you assume the entire world must be having the same problems with WindowsXP? It's amazing Microsoft sold millions of copies of it at all. I would list my personal installations and how long they've been running without reinstall or viruses (2002) but I've made my point. And no, both are long dead, thanks for asking though.

Xeros612 said:

Nice of you to once again apparently ignore more than 90% of my post so you can act all "superior".

You post? Oh the five or so iterations of "I tired WindowsXP, it wasn't good." My bad I guess. Also trust me, if I ever feel the need to act superior it's going to be directed at myk or Maes or anyone else who matters.

Xeros612 said:

I gave examples of a vast multitude of XP running PCs that worked horribly in terms of stability and virus protection, and you try to make it look like...

Once again in case anyone missed it...

Use3D said:

That says more about the user than anything.

Xeros612 said:

I'm not some moron....

You know what, I gotta say I'm convinced. I hope you'll understand more about computers someday, maybe you can lern about 'em in yer fancy college!

Eh, I haven't had much issues like most of you have.--

Qualm of Xp-
Techno-geekness is limited for CPU and Ram, but not horrible tbh.
Viruses? Had maybe one but rid of it within a week, but they liked to stay,

Qualm of Vista-
It liked to play -Eat yur megabytes and Ram in sandvich!?-
Slightly slow start up.

Qualm of 7-
Compatibility... Yeah, not the best friend of old school gamers... Even though some things work, others.. Sadly no.

But then along on Avery- you may have this issue, one of mine ithat is lightly similar but more serious was a corrupted OS CD, don't know how it happened, but it did back when I got the comp I'm on now (Vista x64 first time, now 7), had to format.. And whudjathunkit, it corrupted my comp and had to buy the OS.

Ragnor said:

I can barely get it to run in XP!

It runs fine for me, with the menu scrolling speed patch, AI patch and Deeper Dungeons installed.

Menu scrolling patch? Im in need of that very kind of thing

Every other problem I have is the kind you always get in old programs...generally because I edited the hell out of the game and have custom levels that are too much to handle. Oh how I wish there was a source port.

Do note you should not need the AI patch if you have DK Gold; it supposedly already has it applied. Though the AI still seems pretty dumb to me at times :P Also, the speed patch (if it's the one I've tried to use anyway) is an unofficial hack which will trigger some anti-virus apps as a false positive because it unfortunately injects code into the process at runtime >_> MSSE even tried to kill it while it was running inside a VM. Which speaking of, more on the topic, I can't even run that game in a virtualizer. Damn things won't keep the mouse locked to the window no matter what I try. So that bodes poorly for running it outside of XP.

Quasar said:

Do note you should not need the AI patch if you have DK Gold; it supposedly already has it applied. Though the AI still seems pretty dumb to me at times :P

In Gold the CPU still failed to do anything in that one mission where it just sits there and doesn't even build rooms. After the patch it actually tried playing.

Also, pre-patch it almost never used traps. I'll never forget how after applying the patch I used my usual finishing move (call to arms on the heart with 2-3 reapers) and went to get something to eat. When I came back I was surprised that the mission wasn't over yet. Turned out my reaper rush died under a boulder.

Jumping on the whole "No problems with Vista whatsoever" bandwagon. Running Home Premium since 2008 with no crashes, no freezes, no RAM/CPU rape.

Also heh at the whole "Vista is intrusive" sentiment. I guess taking half a second to click Allow/Deny the first time you run a new program is too much for some people.

Wagi said:

Jumping on the whole "No problems with Vista whatsoever" bandwagon. Running Home Premium since 2008 with no crashes, no freezes, no RAM/CPU rape.

Also heh at the whole "Vista is intrusive" sentiment. I guess taking half a second to click Allow/Deny the first time you run a new program is too much for some people.

At work I have to click that shit *every* time I run Borland C++Builder or our Prometheus program, and that's in Windows 7 even. The option is to either disable it entirely or put up with it forever.

Quasar said:

At work I have to click that shit *every* time I run Borland C++Builder or our Prometheus program, and that's in Windows 7 even. The option is to either disable it entirely or put up with it forever.

Did you try right-clicking the folder, then clicking the Security tab, and then clicking Edit button to change permissions to allow Full Control? That's what I do with frequently used programs that Windows 7 complains about.

XP is fine for gaming. I also had it for years without issues. With a little tuning I got it to use less than 150 MB just after boot. But of course, that machine is not online. I use another with Linux to browse, download, etc.

AveryMaurice said:

I find this infuriating, but today I started my computer only to get a "genuine windows product" check dialog. Owning a 100% genuine Windows 7 Home edition, I clicked "check online". This brought me to a Microsoft support webpage that claims that my copy was "not purchased" and "not genuine" then proceeded to "remove or disable essential features until purchase of a valid license".

Angry, I went to Microsoft Support, entered my CD-Key and then it claimed that it too was not genuine and I had to pay 59.99 just to access support and get the issue resolved.

I paid 150$ for a product that doesn't work. Now I need to reinstall Windows and use an activator, have any of you had this issue or any similar stories?

At least you didn't have to wait two hours for your ipod to update only to have itunes crash.

cbronson said:

XP is fine for gaming.

Until Games start coming out that require DirectX 10. This has happened already, Metro 2033 and Just Cause 2 only have DX10 support. It'll happen more and more soon.

Having said that though, in the last... I don't know how many years, probably like, seven that I've been using XP, I haven't had a single virus. And for ages I was using an unpatched copy of SP1. It really is all about what the user does.

Operating systems don't just 'catch' viruses, much like cocks don't just 'catch' gonorrhea. You have to actually interact with some skanky other party to get it.

AirRaid said:

Operating systems don't just 'catch' viruses, much like cocks don't just 'catch' gonorrhea. You have to actually interact with some skanky other party to get it.

Hehe amen to that.

caco_killer said:

Did you try right-clicking the folder, then clicking the Security tab, and then clicking Edit button to change permissions to allow Full Control? That's what I do with frequently used programs that Windows 7 complains about.

Sad to say this didn't work. Still asks every time.

You can set it to automatically give permission to any program you try to run as admin. It's an option in everything but Home Premium, where I think you have to edit a registry value. I can't find the article that told me how to do it though.

DuckReconMajor said:

You can set it to automatically give permission to any program you try to run as admin. It's an option in everything but Home Premium, where I think you have to edit a registry value. I can't find the article that told me how to do it though.

Let me know if you find anything out ;)

AirRaid said:

Until Games start coming out that require DirectX 10. This has happened already, Metro 2033 and Just Cause 2 only have DX10 support. It'll happen more and more soon.

Metro 2033 has DX9. That's how it was able to be played on the 360, and how my PC was able to run it at a decent frame rate.

My bad, I'm thinking of another game then, though I can't remember what. My point still stands, though.

Edit: I should say, I like XP, and I'm loath to change up, but I'll probably be getting 7 sometime soonish. We'll see. Might dual boot or something.