Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

The amazing regenerating teleporter fog! It just won't die!

It turns out there is a fog stuck in a loop on a conveyor, recreating itself over and over again. It hits the failsafe at the end of the conveyor, is moved instantly back to the start by a silent line teleporter, and then hits the real teleporter line just before it expires, which creates a new one. Something like that anyway.

Obviously these are looped .gifs but this is actually what it looks like in the game.

I think the reason the fog is moving is because the conveyor sector is a Boom deep water sector, being used to teleport cacodemons which would otherwise be unaffected by conveyors because they don't suffer gravity. But teleporter fogs don't have gravity either. (Fogs also don't link into the blockmap, so the fact they're even interacting with linedefs is intriguing by itself.)

The other interesting thing is how fast the fog is moving. The control linedef for the conveyor is 128 units long, which should mean things on it move at 4 units per tic. But they're doing a lot more than 4 units per tic - they're covering a distance of nearly 1000 units over the lifetime of a fog (which I think is 72 tics.) Boom conveyors confuse me.

The map is TGH's Year 23 -The Belly of the Beast-.

Don't take the previous post, by the way, to mean I fail as a designer. This is a very rare occurrence — by which I mean I never had this happen to me the entire time I worked on it. Neither, for that matter, did any of the alpha-testers, or anyone playtesting the level in my WAD thread (otherwise, they would've said so.) There would have to be something extraordinary going on for something like this to happen. Hell, 99% of the time, the fog things don't even move that fast! What you're seeing is one of quite a few coding failures on behalf of TeamTNT.

Boom may be quite fun to work with, but man, is it buggy!

(P.S. The corridor is that long because I knew about fog being able to teleport ever since Claustrophobia 1024; I encountered that bug while working on MAP06: Four Square, so I made the cacodemon warpers in that level long enough for the fog to dissipate before it could hit anything. But when I made that level, I don't think they ever flew at light speed. So how was I to know this could ever happen? Amazing, either way.)

The Green Herring said:

Boom may be quite fun to work with, but man, is it buggy

To be honest, I'd find it so much more fun to work with if it wasn't buggy as heck. D: The number of inconsistencies and gameplay-intrusive bugs that the Boom format retains from the original Doom engine, which forces the mapper to test and work around them almost constantly (not to mention the fact that various sourceports treat these bugs in different ways, many of which fix them to remove them completely from the mapper's and the player's concern), just almost entirely sucks the fun out of mapping for me. :(

40oz said:

Secret level in Perdition's Gate

lol, I remember this level. When you fight with a Cyberdemon in a really glitchy room... awful but creative :Đ

I always liked how Doom 64, ironically, had more demonic overtones than the original PC version. I say ironically because Nintendo was notorious for its censorship, yet Doom 64 was brimming with dark imagery and buckets of gore. This symbol, which I assume is the "pentagram key" that charges the Laser/Unmaker, is sucha great juxtaposition: esoteric demonancy, and stellar space!

lupinx-Kassman said:

In many ways I consider doom 64 to be the true doom 3, while the actual doom 3 is more of a next-gen retelling of doom.

That's a really interesting way to look at it. I'm a big fan of Doom 64 too, although I never thought of it like that. I certainly like it better than what little I've played of Doom 3.

More of the same level, which was also posted in the "Doom the way id did it" thread in Wads & Mods section:

So far, the map's construction by author is about 66% me and 37% Mr. Freeze.

Snail, snail... In any case, here they go... tiny progress here & there... Lighting changed, new detail.

NEW MAP (STUB STUB STUB)!!! It uses Per Kristian's E3M3 remix as background music!!

Real life makes this thing go ahead veeery slowly. I shouldn't ignore real life and its wonders.

Looks pretty cool, printz. In the last shot, I'd change the floor, though. I'd put some sort of trim around the edges of the dropoff, then a different texture (something other than those bricks, and maybe with a bit less light/dark contrast) on the main surrounding floor.

Heh, 'bout time someone showed off some Doom 3 stuff. Pretty cool!

40oz said:

sectors

Not totally sur how Doom 3 does it, but don't most true 3D renderers use brushes ("blocks") ?

essel: If you mean the upper floor, good idea, thanks, I can change it into dirt or broken pavement and develop from there, while the lower wall only extends to one brick thickness (followed by the dirt). If you mean the lower floor, the reason I chose that is that I love its symmetry, it reminds me of those Black Isle RPGs with weird underground monsters and their domains. The contrast on the big bricks is odd because the lighting is all over the place just for the area not to be pitch black. Also the texture might have been shipped with an exaggerated shiny-map.

Bishop said:

Not totally sur how Doom 3 does it, but don't most true 3D renderers use brushes ("blocks") ?

There's two types. Brush-based (Quake, Unreal, etc.) and mesh-based (e.g. Oblivion). With the latter, you basically have to build all levels out of prefabs.

Dragonsbrethren said:

That was dead by the N64 era.

Ignoring the fact that Duke Nukem 64 had a lot of content censored out such as profanity (i.e. "Holy shit!" was either cut or bleeped) and the strippers in the early levels, maybe. Oh, and the changing of blood to green for the GBA Doom ports.

Another unfinished map I started working out of boredom tonight, this is about an hour's worth of work. It's an E1M1 themed map.

So, this is my Mordeth. I created the first sectors of this map a little over seven years ago, and it is FINALLY almost ready for release. What's even more frustrating is that it isn't anything special -- just one of those maps that you start, then restart, then rework and cut and shift and on and on... Anyway, here are some shots:

Opening Scene: http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x404/chris_lutz/Screenshot_Heretic_20101229_072346.png
Caves: http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x404/chris_lutz/Screenshot_Heretic_20101229_072601.png
Cliffside Waterfalls: http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x404/chris_lutz/Screenshot_Heretic_20101229_072657.png
Harbor Area: http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x404/chris_lutz/Screenshot_Heretic_20101229_072907.png
Cavern Battle: http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x404/chris_lutz/Screenshot_Heretic_20101229_072921.png

I'll be looking for beta-testers soon, too.

Some impressive shots there, Lutz. Good to see some more quality heretic work coming up around here.

white and brown is a pretty hot combo you got goin there dutch devil