Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

fffart maps

How many cacowards should fffart win?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How many cacowards should fffart win?

• two hundred and forty ninst
    • a billion minus one plus one
    • the letter H

Yo,
I sort of plan to make some crappy little maps that nobody will like, most of which will probably have this theme:

*New areas with monsters are revealed via timed switches, rather than at the players discretion via player activated switches. This kinda forces the horde on you progressively.

*for boom

*Blocky, lazily textured half assed maps with hard gameplay

*it'll just be a bunch of map01 wads thrown in a folder, cuz I don't want to hassle with all that "save into" crap! Word.

Includes maps: 1,2,3:
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/26237374/fffart.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/442398827/fffart.zip

I'm tired of hearing D_RUNNIN so -27 cacowards.

FDA. Dies a lot, no completion. You might want to trigger the lowering floors only after the player has shoot the first switch - as it is, it seems easier to just camp in the start area for minutes and come out when megaspheres and BFGs are revealed.

There's always a bug. First post link has updated map and demo that beats it now (and rapidshare link for same thing if that one works for you).
That's why I play with -nomusic, but now I might upload some of my clueless music as punishment for voting -27.

That was really fun, thanks!

Way above my skill level of course but there are ways around that :-)

Although, even with such handicaps to make the game a bit easier, I died twice within inches of the first megasphere...

Edit: fine, second megasphere. Please don't be an insufferable pedant, Creaphis.

RjY said:

Although, even with such handicaps to make the game a bit easier, I died twice within inches of the first megasphere...

The one you spawn on? Ouch :(

That was a nice map. I died a few times while all the walls hadn't lowered yet (and a lot of times while being too daring and running right into a rocket to get one more shot). After that, it was running around, keeping track of which paths were currently unobstructed and sniping the Viles.

Got my first exit. I opened a thread about it on the demo forum (hope you don't mind) because the map is pretty fun and if the next ones are similar I might just play these a lot.

first exit in 5:54

really lovely map, different in that you rely on reflexes and skill instead of luck and routing (exactly what I suck at), so keep it up :]

Nice runs/times. Updated first post with map 2. It might take a longish time for new maps to be created from now on, not sure.
By the way I'll probably play by 'normal' max rules where all enemies must be dead at the end except lost souls, and will probably use hud at level end to verify max kills (but play however you want).
For now I'll probably mostly be playing inside doombuilder2 as 'test map' so its easy to make changes rather than recording demos.

Yeah, that one's pretty much luck-based. Once the wall with the chaingunners and sergeants comes down, the only way you won't die immediately is if you somehow managed to be surrounded by other monsters, none of which are attacking you.

FDA. Dies multiple times, doesn't complete. Two deaths rignt in the front of the same megasphere, woo !

Despite that, I didn't find it luck based. The chaingunners/shotgunners never posed a problem to me ; not getting stuck by my own clumsiness in the cramped areas of the start is what was challenging.

As always I dislike mandatory AV jumps (while technically it looks like a shortcut, I doubt it'd be easy to survive the map without taking it). Other than that the map seemed fun.

By the way I'll probably play by 'normal' max rules where all enemies must be dead at the end except lost souls, and will probably use hud at level end to verify max kills (but play however you want).

Right, I don't mean to compare my times to anyone else's - in fact, avoiding competition is one of the reasons I stick to these different rules. ;)

Solarn said:

Yeah, that one's pretty much luck-based. Once the wall with the chaingunners and sergeants comes down, the only way you won't die immediately is if you somehow managed to be surrounded by other monsters, none of which are attacking you.

There is a megasphere you probably missed

What I said about map 1, maybe the archjump is a little unfair. You get double hit from archies more frequently than single hit. Maybe keep there 1 active and 2 dormant inside that... structure.

j4rio said:

There is a megasphere you probably missed

What I said about map 1, maybe the archjump is a little unfair. You get double hit from archies more frequently than single hit. Maybe keep there 1 active and 2 dormant inside that... structure.

Yeah, I found it now. I have no idea how I missed it on the first try.

j4rio said:

... structure.

Hey don't diss my totally cool light structure (I should release that structure as a prefab.. it'd look pretty good in sunder). Hmm, I got double arch hit sometimes too. Might help to stand further away from them. Also there's a megasphere near the shotgunners later to recoup (megaspheres are hard to spot in black/white/grey levels). I guess I'll mostly try not to change stuff to break demos but if something has to change I might just make a 'v2' of the same map.

I tried to be like, slightly 'unique', with map2 instead of just another map where floors lower with monsters again. The result was something that took longer to make (still not that long- these are half assed) and probably played worse, heh. It seemed too hard at the normal map scale so I scaled it 125% larger to make it easier.

I found it just fine personally. The efforts you put into detailing really show. Two different textures, a different floor and flat... Impressive.

Seriously though, having finished it multiple times now I find it fun. It's definitely different than the first one - less open, and danger comes from seemingly everywhere, killing the remaining cybies is harder (there's a conspiracy theory for you ; you made it this way so you could show your superiority in cramped cybie fights).

While I liked looking at every map you released, they often made me "meh" after a while because the difficulty was just too hard, but here I find it's just at the right level to be challenging on first playthroughs yet not too frustrating to play and replay, and seem on the right track for duration as well with 5 minute completion times.

Made map 3, but was too lazy to test fully, so I guess map 3 might change if the gameplay sucks. Also forgot to put phml's map2 fda in there I think.

EDIT: map 3 is done

what the hell is this jesus christ hail satan

Tried map 1, got a couple of bfg`s on first try, died alot after that and gave up 4-5 tries later.

Tried map 2 and died sooo much and then I gave up. IDDQD`d the rest of the level and *read fist sentence in this post again*

I guess these kinda maps aint my thing :P

That's ok, my maps are for Doo0OOm GAWDS!!1112345six7891011eleven (aka social rejects). But thanks for playing... rookie, muah ha ha ha my maps suck. Ok, map3 is done (I said 'done' not 'fun', but its a map I guess. take it or leave it) with a first exit demo.

I liked it, so far the easiest one for me (max in 2 attempts on FDA, see thread on demo forum).