Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

PS3 Finally Cracked For Good

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/29/hackers-claim-discovery-of-ps3-private-key-enabling-unauthori/

From the article:

During the ongoing Chaos Communication Conference 27C3, the hackers responsible for the Wii's Homebrew Channel, calling themselves fail0verflow, gave a presentation in which they claimed to have figured out the "private key" used by Sony to authorize code to run on retail PS3 systems. This means, as a PSX-Scene forum post puts it, giving a hacker "full control of the PS3 system," without the use of a USB device.

You know how? Because the Random number generator in the PS3 for the ECDSA signature for the private keys... is not random. it's consistently 4. With that, the whole thing fell apart.

Someone at SONY is gonna be fiiiiired.....

It's had a good run of it so far though. This was inevitable, but I'm just surprised it hadn't happened sooner.

iori said:

It's had a good run of it so far though. This was inevitable, but I'm just surprised it hadn't happened sooner.

To be honest, if the answer was that simple, I'm really surprised it didn't happen sooner. There are a whole bunch of people kicking themselves right now.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Csonicgo said:

it's consistently 4

I somehow doubt the code is literally "return 4;". But saying it's 4 still makes for a great joke.

Fisk said:

I somehow doubt the code is literally "return 4;". But saying it's 4 still makes for a great joke.

No, 4 will be the "random" generator seed used to create the keys.

Hackers said themselves, Sony drew this attention to the PS3 by removing otherOS. Might've gone longer without being cracked if they didn't lock down that feature, but who's to say?

So now we'll have an illegal non-prime number too?

iori said:

Hackers said themselves, Sony drew this attention to the PS3 by removing otherOS. Might've gone longer without being cracked if they didn't lock down that feature, but who's to say?

The fact it was the only current generation console left uncracked would have had more to do with it.

caco_killer said:

I hope someone makes a program that removes the security on PS3 saves. I hate how some games do not let me copy them.

For me, that's all of the games I have. And I completley agree.

Maybe people could also put PS2 emulation back on the PS3... It was only software emulation in the first place here, so why did they get rid of it?

I like all the Orwellian language getting flung around in this. Like "unauthorized," as if Sony has some natural right to tell people they cannot do anything they want with hardware they own. And of course the inevitable ravings about piracy and how this will be the doom of every publisher on PS3, and about game cheats and hacks, and how there will be aimbots on every game by next month.

Seriously Sony doesn't even have to put out any of this corporate propaganda themselves. Their own fanboys are drumming it up for them (that is, of course, assuming none of the posts I've seen were planted by shills).

Ultraboy94 said:

For me, that's all of the games I have. And I completley agree.

Maybe people could also put PS2 emulation back on the PS3... It was only software emulation in the first place here, so why did they get rid of it?

Actually, I think first gen PS3s had hardware chipsets for PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, hence the hefty price. As for removing the basic software emulation gen 2's had, "Sony are morons" is the only explanation that makes much sense.

Xeros612 said:

Actually, I think first gen PS3s had hardware chipsets for PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, hence the hefty price. As for removing the basic software emulation gen 2's had, "Sony are morons" is the only explanation that makes much sense.

Original american models had both the Emotion Engine and the PS2's GPU, thus full hardware emulation. Then the Emotion Engine was removed, making it software emulation. Then the GPU was removed destroying ALL PS2 backwards compatibility.

Now their selling us the popular PS2 games again as HD Collections.

hervoheebo said:

Cue another retarded cat-mouse game during which Sony makes its own product less desirable for future buyers.

This.

Yeah, even the first PS2's had full PS1 hardware compatibility through redundant hardware, which led people to think that it's "easy" to make consoles backwards compatible with their own, apparently similar product line. It's not, and the Playstation was the only major exception so far.

Only that by keeping something too good on the market you risk generating unwanted competition by yourself. And allowing people access to the (admittedly good) PS2 and even PS1 software library, when trying to push the latest run-of-the-mill product out of the window is a big no-no, in market terms.

Maes said:

Only that by keeping something too good on the market you risk generating unwanted competition by yourself. And allowing people access to the (admittedly good) PS2 and even PS1 software library, when trying to push the latest run-of-the-mill product out of the window is a big no-no, in market terms.

Pretty much. The PS2 would have cannibalized the then-budding ps3 market had full backwards compatibility stayed in the system. Since the ps2 is still already in more homes than most other consoles, making the platform more attractive to game developers. Why make your game on the exclusive to the PS3 when you could hit both markets? Ps2's are still being made and sold, so until the system drops dead we won't see backwards compatibility any time soon.

That PS3 backwards compatibility issue would not have been a problem if Sony stuck to their supposed "10-year life-cycle" for their systems. Releasing the PS3 in 2006 like they did was a really stupid idea.

The problem I have is that when my PS2 dies, I wont have any way to play my vast collection again, whereas I can play my Gamecube and Xbox titles on the Wii and 360 respectively. I dont approve of having to buy a new PS2 and stockpile it somewhere

Sony releasing the PS3 in 2006 was actually a fairly smart idea, considering it allowed them to compete with the drastically-prematurely-rushed release of the 360.

Problem with that, Ragnor, is the 360 is still very hit and miss as to what titles are given the software emulation to play, so a lot of fairly decent games still require you to find a working model of the original system.

That is true, but all the games I have work, and they are some of the better games of the system (KOTOR, Jade Empire, Doom 3, Doom 3 RoE etc)

My brother owns an original Xbox, but its ALWAYS in a state of disrepair. And thanks to the harddrive wipe MS does on them, he has to go to outside repairs now, because all the DLC he has cant ever be obtained again thanks to the removal of Xbox Live for the Xbox

Being able to play all my Xbox games, limited as the are. Is still better than nor being able to play ANY of my 50+ PS2 games. At least I can apparently play my small PS1 collection (Or does it only play PS1 PSN titles and not disc-based originals?)

Why does MS do a hard drive wipe? Can't you just take it out and then send it in, or is there some policy along the lines of "we're not repairing your console if we can't delete everything from your HD"?

No idea, I never bought an Xbox, as it only had a few games worth playing, all of which are playable on 360. My brother's sent it in for official repairs and it always got fully wiped in the process.

I dont even know if the harddrive can be easily removed from that giant brick like it can from the 360

As far as I'm aware (at some of the versions of) the PS3 can play PS1 disks quite happily. It's only meant to be PS2 games that are likely to not be supported on any given version of a PS3.

hervoheebo said:

Why does MS do a hard drive wipe? Can't you just take it out and then send it in, or is there some policy along the lines of "we're not repairing your console if we can't delete everything from your HD"?

For the original Xbox, the hard drive is enclosed within the case, and I think the warranty is voided by opening it. This is from when the hard drive was a mandate, not an overpriced add-on.