Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Aliens or demons?

It seems pretty clear that the creatures in the Doom universe are demons, possibly from an actual Christian hell as depicted in so much literature. However, I recall that the Doom 2 intermission message before Dead Simple (Map 07) talks about an "alien invasion," while the ludicrous Doom novels imply that they're aliens, too. But I think it's more fun to envision them as literal demons, if not for the simple fact that the juxtaposition of science fiction + demons is pretty damn cool. What do you think?

True, the message could have been referring to the fact that an alien force was invading, and in this case, a force of demons would be alien to humans.

I've always disliked the idea of aliens, I mean, alien invasions are so common now. Demonic invasions (although I am unreligious) are far cooler.

They're not little green men, they're not grays. But they are inherently alien creatures, more alien than "ordinary" sci-fi aliens: they are alien to the normal universe, alien to the laws of physics.

They are pretty much demons. I mean, you go to Hell, blow it up, and then wonder where bad guys will now go when they die.

As for this version of Hell being Christian rather than generic, I wouldn't say that. It was inspired by Dante's imagery as well as by some parts of the Lovecraftian mythos and by a D&D campaign; then given a unique sci-fi twist. There's no strongly Christian imagery except for a few upside-down crosses in Ultimate Doom. No mention of angels or God, no mention of Satan either. It's just demons. Which want to kill, maim, torture and devour. No tempters trying to swindle you of your soul with honeyed words, the best they can do as far as tricks go is pop out of closets when you cross a linedef. I guess if you did so lured by the appeal of a weapon or bonus item, then it may count as a successful temptation? But it's a bit meager.

What about the ALIEN vendetta?

Anyway, I like to think of spider masterminds and arachnotrons as actual aliens from another place trying to exercise control over hell. A wad where the Marine travels to their planet (encountering weird brainy things there) would be quite interesting.

Gez said:

They're not little green men, they're not grays. But they are inherently alien creatures, more alien than "ordinary" sci-fi aliens: they are alien to the normal universe, alien to the laws of physics.

They are pretty much demons. I mean, you go to Hell, blow it up, and then wonder where bad guys will now go when they die.

As for this version of Hell being Christian rather than generic, I wouldn't say that. It was inspired by Dante's imagery as well as by some parts of the Lovecraftian mythos and by a D&D campaign; then given a unique sci-fi twist. There's no strongly Christian imagery except for a few upside-down crosses in Ultimate Doom. No mention of angels or God, no mention of Satan either. It's just demons. Which want to kill, maim, torture and devour. No tempters trying to swindle you of your soul with honeyed words, the best they can do as far as tricks go is pop out of closets when you cross a linedef. I guess if you did so lured by the appeal of a weapon or bonus item, then it may count as a successful temptation? But it's a bit meager.

This x100.

printz said:

Anyway, I like to think of spider masterminds and arachnotrons as actual aliens from another place trying to exercise control over hell.

Dimension X.

Yeah, let's stick with extradimensional beings, as opposed to extraterrestrial ones. Any references to Hell/demons/posession/goatlegs/fire/brimstone far outweigh any vague references to extraterrestrial civilizations.

They're demons. From Hell.
There's really no need to look any further than that.

Technician said:

Dimension X.

With the proper design adaption Krang on his humanoid body would be a great DOOM monster

They are alien demons from outer space that wants to take over the world! Everything said that they come from Hell is a lie of theirs.

While Doomguy and some other observers surely know the demons are from hell, I am sure there were some rational elements who refused to believe that could be true and figured the demons must have been some kind of alien. That's always what I thought of that message anyway.

Doomhuntress said:

They are alien demons from outer space that wants to take over the world! Everything said that they come from Hell is a lie of theirs.

You read the novels, didn't you?

Doomhuntress said:

Doohohohohohoho

And that is the reason why the Doom novels and movie were so lame. (Well, part of it anyway.)

They're demons who emerged from Hell onto Mars's moons, then found their way to Earth.

iD's team's conception of Doom was: "Like Alien, but with demons."

The little helmet "armor bonuses" were actually called "spiritual armor" in the manual. *shrug

At any rate, I'm pretty sure that we spend a lot more time thinking about the cohesion of the Doom universe on this forum than the ID staff spent on it while making Doom II. :P Doom's not exactly a story-heavy game, though add-ons potentially could be.

Next question: how can the Doom guy wear so many little damn helmets all at once?

StupidBunny said:

Doohohohohohoho

And that is the reason why the Doom novels and movie were so lame. (Well, part of it anyway.)

True, the movie wasn't THAT bad though (once you swiped off everything Doom from it it really isn't that bad).

GoatLord said:

It seems pretty clear that the creatures in the Doom universe are demons, possibly from an actual Christian hell as depicted in so much literature. However, I recall that the Doom 2 intermission message before Dead Simple (Map 07) talks about an "alien invasion," while the ludicrous Doom novels imply that they're aliens, too. But I think it's more fun to envision them as literal demons, if not for the simple fact that the juxtaposition of science fiction + demons is pretty damn cool. What do you think?

I got the impression that the hell of Doom was some sort of alien planet in another dimension, not a religious type of hell, and that the demons are aliens, just with magic instead of technology.

Doomhuntress said:

True, the movie wasn't THAT bad though (once you swiped off everything Doom from it it really isn't that bad).

Yes it is.

Woolie Wool said:

I got the impression that the hell of Doom was some sort of alien planet in another dimension, not a religious type of hell, and that the demons are aliens, just with magic instead of technology.

What about the inverted crosses and pentagrams? Or your death and resurrection from Phobos to Deimos which happens to be in hell?

Doomhuntress said:

Sweet Jesus, even putting Doom outside your mind, that movie is terrible.

I always thought they were aliens, until I learned to understand english and words in general as I had no idea what hell & demons meant. Meanwhile I asked my mother about the words and translations. Well, thanks to my mother and Doom, I now know what hell & demons mean.

Both.

"Demons" sounds more fun, though, so I prefer the term more, given the choice.

GoatLord said:

it's more fun to envision them as literal demons

except that you can't kill demons, as you can't kill something that's not alive in the first place.
But no doubt it's more fun think of DOOM monsters as demons from Hell. So why the never-ending attempts at rationalizing it?

printz said:

What about the ALIEN vendetta?

These two words make no sense when put next to each other. They do make for a cool-sounding title, though, which must have been the authors' intention.

DuckReconMajor said:

?

I think aliens have a lot to be pissed at us about.

I actually had interpretted it as the Doomguy having a vendetta against alien beings. Both of which make sense.

But yeah Don't let the definition of alien confuse you. The hellspawn didn't get in here by itself, the UAC conducted experiments that allowed this to happen. Otherwise Hell would have been completely isolated on its own until you die.