Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

The unfinished ones (community project)

Inspired in the "mapper's block" thread I got the idea that mappers could upload their unfinished maps for someone else to complete. The result could be grouped in a pack, or packs for the different source ports the maps were initially designed.

"Hell Z"

You don't know it? Of course not, actually this was stupid project published by me, well I published it when my mapping skill was shitty, I mean weak detailing, because of that no one interested. It was for Zdoom with scripting. When i saw the project "Plutonia Revisited", there was lots of open slots, i think i've could made 5 maps for it! But I was afraid if i enter i forget about Hell Z.

Link: http://www.filefront.com/17554798/hellzalp.zip

It uses one of the Plutonia 2 music, but the music was actually from Jimmy's91 blog, according to his blog, he said that no need for permission, but with credit.

Certainly an interesting idea, but with:

Community Chest 4
Plutonia Revisited
1994 Tune-Up Challenge
pcorf's easy-going community project
Doom the Way id Did
Progressive Fiction (Hadephobia?)
TNT2: Devilution
HPack
(not-quite-)HR3

and everybodies personal projects going, won't people be a bit busy for this?

Phobus said:

1994 Tune-Up Challenge

This two are actually "finished" (and pthe pcorf one needs only to be packed up...)

By the way i'm agree whit you....

Phobus said:

Community Chest 4

You say that as if it's actually being actively worked on.

Other than that, this DOES sound like a good idea, but there are quite a lot of other community projects in progress right now. That's why even though the Doom Fusion one was a great idea, it only had like 2 maps made for it. And when I tried one nothing happened.

Also, what happened to the Hell Revealed 3 one? I haven't seen it in a while.

EDIT: Another note, the Plutonia Revisited is also almost done too, I noticed. So I guess that's a plus?

walter confalonieri said:

This two are actually "finished" (and pthe pcorf one needs only to be packed up...)

I realise that pcorf's one is nearly done - hadn't realised the 1994 one was so far along though. I thought the 15/01/11 deadline was for mapping still.

@TrueDude:

Yeah, CChest4 does seem like a pipe-dream these days... still, I live in hope. The HR3 project was mentioned recently, else i'd not have even listed it, having forgotton about if mostly. Plutonia Revisited has advanced admirably, so perhaps there will be time for this afterall!

DoomHero85 said:

Don't forget "Visions of Hell" that I suggested a while back *don't remember who came up with the name* , haven't started working on anything for it yet though.

That was a good idea.

People need to mellow out about cc4. It will be finished, and it will probably be finished soon. I myself contributed a map, have about 50% of a second map done for the project, and have helped a member get their map included that otherwise would have gone to the wayside. If you are worried about cc4, get in there and map for it. It is an open project.

As for the idea in the topic, I have some scraps I could give if it does take off.

DoomHero85 said:

Don't forget "Visions of Hell" that I suggested a while back *don't remember who came up with the name* , haven't started working on anything for it yet though.

I came up with the name. I thought that project was dead so I was going to re-claim the name for a personal project because I liked it so much :-)

Here's a level I was working on that was intended to be an Icon of Sin stage, but never finished. It's only half complete, and only has some basic ideas being thrown around, as well as almost no enemies and such. There should be enough for someone to begin working on it again. There's no exit.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nfowpe

It's theme is mostly surreal flesh and metal. The idea was that this Icon of Sin was a being that was going to attempt to invade Earth or something, I don't remember. There's only one new texture being used period, it's on the doors, so if there's a no texture rule it can be deleted. Also, there's a part where it looks like you're supposed to face off against the Icon of Sin but it turns out to be fake. This also happened to be the last thing mapped, and the real Icon of Sin was never actually mapped out yet.

I'd say it's about 40% done, layout-wise. Aesthetically, 10%.

Phobus said:

Certainly an interesting idea, but with:

Community Chest 4
Plutonia Revisited
1994 Tune-Up Challenge
Doom the Way id Did
Progressive Fiction (Hadephobia?)
TNT2: Devilution
HPack
(not-quite-)HR3

and everybodies personal projects going, won't people be a bit busy for this?

In all honesty, there are ~10 megawad projects going on at any given time on the forums, so it's not like there will be a better time for this. The only difference now is that most of these are going to be finished in the foreseeable future.

@Purist: Go ahead and take the name back if you want. I can come up with another one, that project will be on the back-burner for a while. btw, I just had another idea. Since there are all those marble textures, why are there no Ancient Greece megawads?

lupinx-Kassman said:

People need to mellow out about cc4. It will be finished, and it will probably be finished soon. I myself contributed a map, have about 50% of a second map done for the project, and have helped a member get their map included that otherwise would have gone to the wayside. If you are worried about cc4, get in there and map for it. It is an open project.

I've already made two maps for it, and they've been sitting idle for at least a year now, one of them perhaps two.

@Solarn: Hmm, perhaps you're right. I certainly didn't mean to discourage this project, as I'm quite a fan of collective efforts.