Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

How do you use Energy Cell Packs?

Do you just plug em in the gun or something?

Lol, an unexpected question.

When you figure it out, giving 57 possible answers (I'm sure you will, Oh Community), I can give you a more difficult version of the question. How do you use Energy Cell Packs on the flame thrower (weapon no.6) in Obituary?

I'd probably say the bulk cell packs are something to connect the weapons to so they may charge up, while the smaller energy cells might actually connect to the weapons like a clip.

The way I see it, cell packs are just containers which come with 5 energy cells, and those serve as plasma/BFG "clips".

I haven't put much thought into that question... I couldn't even begin to imagine how a fictional weapon that fires fucking plasma would work... o_O
I guess it depends what kind of energy it uses. In Doom 3, they explained/showed it quite a bit better.

If we stick to our current state of the art and known plasma generation techniques, the contents of the energy cells would have to be converted to electricity, ultimately, and the gun itself would be an extreme example of power electronics and miniaturized nuclear physics at work (kinda like combination between a heavily modified microwave oven/MASER and a nuclear fission reactor.

The energy required to produce self-confined plasma balls would be enormous, so the cells themselves can't be purely electrochemical contraptions like modern lead or lithium batteries, but more like modern fuel cells using a highly reactive consumable fuel that can be converted to electricity very rapidly, or even pre-charged supercapacitors (those would be lighter, more disposable and more plausible to deliver high-power bursts).

If you feel that's a too limited view, you can view them as confined plasma cells that is used up little by little, or as mini-nuclear reactors.

You stick them in the side/bottom and expend the charge. When its used up, you discard the pack and insert a new one. Kinda like a Lasgun, but without the solar power.

PRIMEVAL said:

You sort of just walk over them.

^ THIS ^
I don't think classic Doom was meant for understanding anything more complicated than that.

What Maes said. I'm sure in the future supercapacitors should be able to hold some heavy wattage (2000,3000 W/KG) so no telling how much punch is in one of those cell packs.

Doomguy carries a portable Material Phase Molecular De/Constructor and it will store the items, weapons, ammo inside it. It could even store doomguy in it, actually when you save the game, Doomguy uses the same device with a special Time Field Interruption Disruptor, so it can store himself inside it too. And when he enters a new area, he also uses the device, but for some reason he suffers from amnesia and only stores himself, pistol and 50 bullets.

Jimi said:

Doomguy carries a portable Material Phase Molecular De/Constructor and it will store the items, weapons, ammo inside it. It could even store doomguy in it, actually when you save the game, Doomguy uses the same device with a special Time Field Interruption Disruptor, so it can store himself inside it too. And when he enters a new area, he also uses the device, but for some reason he suffers from amnesia and only stores himself, pistol and 50 bullets.

This sounds rather plausible,and very funnt too!Great job.

For the plasma gun, you just stick it in the bottom of the gun (have you ever looked at the pickup sprite?)

For the BFG9000, well maybe there is a door on it you open and then you just pop 'em in.

It's a special pair of space marine sneakers that have slots for plasma packs in the soles. You step on the plasma packs, and a straw running up your leg powers your plasma rifle.

Next question.

I'm pretty sure you mount the little cells inside the Plasma Gun as you would a shell magazine, and bulk cells are designed for the BFGs, but due to game's simplicity, it merely acts like a pack of multiple regular cells fitting into any electric gun.

Alternatively, the "Energy Cell Pack" is a very fancy looking trunk designed to hold the cells.

PRIMEVAL said:

You sort of just walk over them.

That.

I suppose you could say you've got battery wires and you plug your weapons on the cells and cellpacks you've got.