Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arrrgh

Toxic Compound

I haven't done anything in the way of Doom for quite a while, for one reason and another, but recently I got back into it and made a map. It's a techbase map, in a classic-ish style. It's pretty much done, but I'd like other people's opinion's on the balance and other pairs of eyes to spot any stupid mistakes or misalignments, before I upload this. Any feedback, as honest as you like would be great. Also, I'm no good at names so I called it "Toxic Compound." This is a stupid name and it needs a new one, so if any of you super creative geniuses could suggest one that would be lovely.
http://www.mediafire.com/?v21eatos1dcffl7

Nice map!

Gameplay is very fun, texturing & architecture is good as well.... but I think you need to do something about the light variation though, you need more contrast in that area.

It was a blast ! ;)

Some bugs/issues however.

1. The mid tex on lines 733, 340, 339, 338 and 349 "bleeds" into the floor on software ports. To fix, on one side of the lines concerned, just change the brightness level of one of the sectors. For example just change the brightness of sector 125 from 160 to 161.

2. Door sector 167 can be opened by the monsters at sector 176, allowing the player to get to sector 176 and beyond without obtaining the blue key - see line 879.

3. Sectors 277, 278, 272, 280, 281, 279, 22, 219, 269 and 218 should not do any damage ?

4. Lines 959, 956 and 960 should be flagged impassible.

5. Is the BFG at sector 273 just for show ?

6 DoomBuilder 2 reported that the demon at sector 114 was stuck in the wall. It's radius does extend into the wall. While it didn't get stuck using Risen3D it might be worth just dragging it a bit east.

hawkwind said:

It was a blast ! ;)

Some bugs/issues however.

1. The mid tex on lines 733, 340, 339, 338 and 349 "bleeds" into the floor on software ports. To fix, on one side of the lines concerned, just change the brightness level of one of the sectors. For example just change the brightness of sector 125 from 160 to 161.

2. Door sector 167 can be opened by the monsters at sector 176, allowing the player to get to sector 176 and beyond without obtaining the blue key - see line 879.

3. Sectors 277, 278, 272, 280, 281, 279, 22, 219, 269 and 218 should not do any damage ?

4. Lines 959, 956 and 960 should be flagged impassible.

5. Is the BFG at sector 273 just for show ?

6 DoomBuilder 2 reported that the demon at sector 114 was stuck in the wall. It's radius does extend into the wall. While it didn't get stuck using Risen3D it might be worth just dragging it a bit east.

Thanks for the feedback, I need to take a bit more time to stop stupid bugs like this from creeping in.

1. Should have picked up on this bug, I've had it happen in other maps before. Fixed.

2. It's surprising that this one didn't crop up in playtesting... Should've noticed this one in doom builder, though. fixed.

3. Argh, I didn't notice this one in playtesting, but I should really check these things more thoroughly in the editor. fixed.

4. Another silly mistake :( Fixed.

5. Yeah, it's just there as a decoration cause it looks cool and doesn't mess up the items percentage.

6. It was fine for me too in PrBoom+ but I shifted it a little just to be safe.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, I glad you enjoyed the map! I've decided this map will be part of a 6-map wad I'm planning to make. Consider yourselves given an exclusive sneak peek of my project.

it is possible to strafejump to the bfg, is that intentional?

edit: ah, i see it's supposed to be a decoration. well, the platform is just reachable and the cage is passable. it doesn't matter much in a single map, but it could possibly throw off episodic balance.

Sweet, thanks for the demo gggmork! Updated link in the OP with the new version with all bugs (inluding BFG strafejump) fixed.

Alignmemt/enhancement suggestions ...

1. Change the floor height of sector 34 to -25.

2. Make lines 139, 140, 22 and 138 upper and lower unpegged.

3. Give line 143 a Y offset of 0.

4. Change the Y offset of lines 522, 672, 611, 638, 602 and 572 to 64.