Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

PSX Doom lighting

I was watching some level run throughs of PSX Final Doom on Youtube and I love the lighting in that game and PSX Doom. I always thought it would be cool to have that in a source port, that is if it hasn't been done already.
So how was the lighting done? Is there a port that supports that kind of lighting? It looks very Doom64-ish.

The lighting system is more advanced in Doom 64, using five different colors per sector in total.

Simple PSX-style colored lights (one color per sector) can be done in a few source ports. The ZDoom mod Threshold of Pain (which got a mention, if not an award, at the latest Cacowards) uses them heavily, and you may want to play it if you like PSX Doom's looks.

The standout feature about that colored lighting was that the expansive color range of the Playstation allowed colored sectors to not lose quality when tinted. They ended up looking gorgeous and added a ton of atmosphere to the levels. At the time, games like Duke Nukem 64 had very limited colored lighting that relied on a limited VGA palette.

The PSX version used a 16-bit renderer, IIRC. It definitely wasn't capped at 8-bit like most (software-renderer) ports today. (A bit off topic, but I'd love to see colored lighting supported in GLBoom-plus.)

Of course Doom64 blows the PSX version out of the water in terms of lighting. I want to make maps for Doom64 EX solely because of the lighting.

Not only was the lighting in Doom64 beautiful, but the weapons and many of the textures were pretty neutral, so as to accept the lighting even better.

I always loved looking at the barrel of the shotgun as I walked under a row of colored lights or something.

My only problem was that A) there were only about 300 textures in Doom 64 compared to Doom 2's 1500 or so, and that B) the memory limitation forced the shotguns to have limited animation and of course four enemies were removed. It would be a lot of work but someone should make more content for Doom 64. Recreate the rest of the enemies, make more textures, add extra frames for the shotguns, etc. But I think that would be asking for too much!

I was trying to do coloured lighting in a map, which was a little inspired by the Killer Colours map (Isnt that from AV? Cant remember too well) with everything being in cubes of water or lava (Weird concept but It was a secret level), and someone suggested I switch to UDMF. It made coloured lighting easy to make, but killed everything else in the conversion and I said fuck it and never edited that map again :D

GoatLord said:

My only problem was that A) there were only about 300 textures in Doom 64 compared to Doom 2's 1500 or so, and that B) the memory limitation forced the shotguns to have limited animation and of course four enemies were removed. It would be a lot of work but someone should make more content for Doom 64. Recreate the rest of the enemies, make more textures, add extra frames for the shotguns, etc. But I think that would be asking for too much!

Absolution.

I personally want a version of Doom 64 on ZDoom if its ever possible, so I have every Doom game on one engine.